Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whats wrong with my scoob??

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2001, 04:14 PM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony,

Do you feel the problems the most in 4th or 5th gear, around 4000rpm till appr. 5000rpm?

I think I know the problem. I, myself and one of my relatives are experiencing this problem to. His car has also a PPP. I had the problem before.

Problem.
When you floor the car, itīs boosting, then slowing a little bit. Again boosting and little bit slowing and so on.
Itīs like a ^^^^^ (saw-lookalike). Itīs very irritating.

Probably the solution:
The problem is, was told to me, that the boost solenoid is dirty with oil. When the oil is filled and the oil-level is a bit to high, it gets on the boost solenoid.
So you probably have to clean the boost solenoid. The dealer cleaned that part the last time and after that (until now) I had no problems. Maybe itīs just caused by circumstances (cold wheather etc.).
When you stand in front of the car(facing the engine), then itīs on the left side, just behind the airbox. Itīs fitted against the part that holds the shocks.

Good luck

Hans de Jong

[Edited by H dejong - 12/10/2001 4:16:53 PM]
Old 12 November 2001, 09:59 AM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

John,

First part of your story is in the same line as my part.

Second part is also correct.
The first time I had the problem (january 2001), I contacted Mark Verhoeven from EMS (Engine Managment Systems) overhere in Holland.
His first question was: is it a My99 with exhaust modification?
If yes, then a part has to be exchanged to a other size.(assuming itīs the same part youīre talking about)
But since I had at that time no modifications, I didnīt had to do this modification.
After the boost problem was solved, by cleaning the solenoid, I fitted a KN57i-airfilter. During the whole year (until now) I had no problems. For 1,5 month ago I fitted a Scoobysport BB.During the 1,5 month also no problems, until last sunday.
Also a relative of mine, whose car has a PPP fitted, told me sunday that he has a exact the same problems as I have.
He has the PPP fitted for approx. 1,5 month. Until last sunday he had also no problems. Maybe the cold weather is also a side-issue?

We talked to another guy, who told us also to clean the solenoid.
His way to fix/clean:

Disconnect the solenoid.
Put 12V on one of the connectors(which one i donīt know yet), so that the valve opens.
When the valve is opened, spray some brake or carburator cleaner in the valve.
I think itīs also a good job to clean (or maybe in the worst filthy case replace) the solenoid hoses.
That should do.

When I have another good job to clean the solenoid, Iīll surely share it with you guys overhere in this topic.

With regards,

Hans de Jong

[Edited by H dejong - 12/11/2001 10:02:40 AM]
Old 08 December 2001, 06:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

There i was having a nice drive down the motorway at around 80mph, i accellerate to overtake (indicating of course) and floor the car n 5th, now the conditions are as follows, nighttime, cold (around 2-3degrees so lots of cold air) now ive never had this happened to me before but when i floor the car (to the floor) it sort of picked up then picked up then picked up then picked up like foot on foot off action, its not overboost, i dont think its surging as if i take her up gently i dont get this, i dont loose any power as she still flies up the rev range but it stops around 4k on the clock?
Going thru the gears it doesnt happen, so is it due to the cold air??
The car is an MY00 with PPP fitted.

Ta
Tony
Old 08 December 2001, 08:02 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I had a sensation similar to this when I overfilled my oil,only about 1mm over max.it was very mild,almost like pulsing the boost not as bad as lift off/on,overboost or MY99/00 hesitation.

john
Old 08 December 2001, 08:26 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Tony, I thought you were gloating the other day that you had a 'good 'un' MY00? But that's not helping you is it.

I think what you are describing is hesitation and surging, just the problems that Babber was having. I don't understand why you are experiencing it because you now have a PPP.

Take it to the dealer to sort it, perhaps it's a blockage in the waste gate pipes?

F
Old 08 December 2001, 08:26 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Tony, I thought you were gloating the other day that you had a 'good 'un' MY00? But that's not helping you is it.

I think what you are describing is hesitation and surging, just the problems that Babber was having. I don't understand why you are experiencing it because you now have a PPP.

Take it to the dealer to sort it, perhaps it's a blockage in the waste gate pipes?

F
Old 09 December 2001, 01:55 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I only noticed it after i filled up again at a motorway service station, never felt it before but the car is due her service and shes booked in so ill get them to have a check when i take her in, its only on foot to the floor in gear accelleration thou, but she doesnt suffer from hesitation or surging, that i believe is low down in the rev range and in any gear, this isnt

Tony
Old 10 December 2001, 06:07 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hiya Hans
Thats exactly it! mine sort of clears around 4k ish thou but is exactly what i felt (had an intermediate oil change just before NM6 as id done 5k on the old stuff).
Will get the dealer to clean it when i take her in for her service in 2 weeks

Regards
Tony
Old 10 December 2001, 09:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like overboost to me Tony, but you need a select monitor or boost gauge to confirm it. It is not head through the windscreen stuff on later models unless you hit well over 19PSI for a fair time. The classic point for it to happen on MY00 PPP is about 3200rpm in 4th or 5th gear if you floor it from 2500rpm. It will be more pronounced when colder, and may not be cured by cleaning the solenoid piping. Tends to happen if the peak boost hits high 17s PSI for a short while. Then the duty cycle on the aforementioned solenoid is altered and the car pulls back the boost a bit before going up again. In a very mild case it will just do it once and settle. If it is severe it will continue oscillating up and down until 5000rpm.

If cleaning the solenoid does not solve it, then you will have to have the restrictor made slightly bigger. Standard is 1.2mm. When I had PPP fitted I had to go back and have 1.3mm fitted to cure overboost with identical symptoms to yours. Car was slightly slower on spool up, but same held boost. Then I got a downpipe and had to go to 1.35mm. Much better when I fitted a valve as I could adjust it much more precisely. I did not like the boost fluctuating, but also wanted the rush of 17PSI.

When I fitted a Dawes controller a week ago I finally managed to get rid of the factory duty solenoid all together. Flipping good riddance. Boost control is much tighter, with a well controlled peak of less than 0.5PSI above held even in sub zero. Spool up is MUCH quicker, top end is a lot better, and I have had it set for 18.5 peak 18 held without any boost fluctuations. Now run it at 17.5 held in top gear.

Performance is on a different planet. Now on full boost at 2400rpm (17+ PSI). 50-70 or 55-75 in 5th is only 5 seconds on the stopwatch off speedo (unmodded was 8+, about 7 with PPP, 6 with PPP&DP). Now if this is even remotely correct, take a look down some Autocar figures - this sort of performance in top gear beats many manual gearbox fast/supercars - Aston DB7 Vantage 6.0, Audi RS4, M3, M5, Z3M, 5.7V8 Corvette, Viper 8.0, Ferrari 550, Diablo, Evo 6, Skyline, Noble M10, Porsche 911 Carerra (not turbo!), 22b, some TVRs. Obviously the car overall is nothing like all of these higher up the rev range, but from 2000-3000rpm it is pretty impressive. This is why I don't want a big turbo! I'm not so much bothered by peak torque/power but where that torque is.

Fuelling is spot on according to lambda voltages. Highly recommended solution to boost control problems, and makes at least as much difference as the PPP again for only Ģ25. Try one and tell me you are not impressed!
Old 11 December 2001, 05:38 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Tony

I had this with my RB5 after about 7000miles. It turned out to be a faulty boost solenoid and got replaced under warranty

Scott
Old 12 December 2001, 10:30 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Took me car out last night for a quick blast (and some fuel ) couldnt get it to do it again ill still get them to check the boost solenoid thou, was very cold when i went out thou so she flew

Tony
Old 21 December 2001, 10:07 AM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

Tony,

Is your car already serviced?

I'll have mine serviced on monday.
I notified the garage that I probably have problems with the solenoid, and asked them to give it a good attention.
I'm also going to ask if thay can clean the MAF for me.
If they also check the hoses, I'll ask them if the hoses are to dirty, to replace them.

When the car is finished, I let you know if the problem is solved.
I'll also ask the mechanic how to clean the solenoid and MAF.

With regards and a happy christmas to everybody.

Hans de Jong
Old 25 December 2001, 11:55 AM
H dejong
Scooby Regular

Hello everybody.

First, I want you wish you all a merry Xmas.

Second, Yesterday I picked up my car from the dealer after a service. The problems with the boost solenoid are completely solved. So Tony, get your car to the dealer and have it solved.
When I have a digicam to make some pictures, I will write a little manual how to clean the solenoid yourself. The mechanic explained it to me and it's very simple.

With regards,

Hans de Jong
Old 25 December 2001, 02:56 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Hans!
They had just had their xmas party the night b4 i had my car serviced (was it a good idea getting it serviced the next day?!!!) so ive got to go back and get them to have another check as the car is still doing it
What did it turn out to be in the end??

Tony