Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY06 STi.... Rear Diff and G/B

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2007, 06:28 PM
Melly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY06 STi.... Rear Diff and G/B

Hey Peeps, I had my spec d up at Crail today to see what times i could get with a standard car. First couple of runs were not to bad with me launching it at around 3.5/4k but i was bogging down badly on take off. I decided to up the ante a little and launched at around 4.5k which helped my efforts off the line slighty but the rear diff was banging loudly as the wheels spun.

I was a bit annoyed with this by now as the wait in the que was 45mins for each race and i felt the car wasn't doing itself any justice. I decided to try and rev it a little more and hit 5k on launch only for the car to jump out of first gear (is this a safety feature?). It did this again a few races later.

My question is: Are thse cars prone to banging at the rear diff if they are being launched or is mines on it's way out. Also what could be the reason for it jumping out of 1st? My car is an 06 sti with only 15k miles on the clock. It has the adjustable rear diff too.

I'm too used to my gt4 where i just loaded it up and it took off without any problems i suppose. If anyone is interested i got a 13.7 1/4 mile and my friend and fellow SN member got a 13.2 with just a centre pipe and b/b.

Cheers
Melly
Old 29 April 2007, 07:18 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Best get it checked out if your in any doubt. Jumping out of gear isn't right if you ask me. Diffs will make some noise but nothing excessive should be heard.

Out of interest, was DCCD left in auto or did you have turned back a bit?
Old 29 April 2007, 07:39 PM
Melly
Scooby Regular

I had it jump out both in auto and on the first dccd amber light. When you say the rear diff should make noise, mines sounds like the boot floor is being hit with a hammer. It only does it when the wheels break traction and spin. My friend said his was doing the same (diff noise not g/b problem) but that isn't reassuring enough. I'll give subaru a call tomorrow and get it booked in as i'm on holiday for the next fortnight.

Cheers
Melly
Old 29 April 2007, 09:31 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.
Old 29 April 2007, 10:13 PM
Melly
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate.....I'll post up my findings to help fellow members who may be suffering the same problems.

Cheers
Melly
Old 30 April 2007, 07:06 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thumping on the boot floor is the whole rear subframe twisting on dumping the clutch.
The only way out i found on my classic (same design) was to fit the Whiteline rear subframe bush and bolt locking kit.
Both are simple to install by a reasonable DIY and certaimly a garage with a ramp it's really easy, 30 mins tops.

Low cost too!

You replace the soft rubber cross beam bushes (about 60mm diameter) with plastic bushes and fit 2 special conical bolts in the rear subframe/body shell (threaded holes are already there.)

If you really want to stamp the thumping out in any condition change the rear diff rubbers for plastic but this is a diff-out task and hard work.

With any of the above harshness will be increased in the car, but not dramatically.

Graham.