Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clicking when pulling away.

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2007, 11:22 AM
Olly Powers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking when pulling away.

I have had a recurring problem with something in the wheel area and having spent alot of time and money trying to fix the problem, I'm no closer.

It started with the usual clicking whilst going around a corner, but there was also a bonk when the cars weight shifted from one side to the other.
My local mechanic said the CV joint (which is usually the clicking noise) would probably only need re-greasing.
I did that and it was a bit quieter but soon came back.
I changed the bottom ball joint even though the one on there was less than a year old.....no joy.
I then changed the track rod end as this is also a ball joint. The bonk went away so I figured I'd sorted that.
The car will now click quite a bit when pulling away in a straight line which confuses me as I thought CV joint problems weren't heard in a straght line?

So I bought a new CV joint from the local motor factors, it was of course the wrong one as it had a different amount of splines so the driveshaft wouldn't fit.
Funnily enough the box said Legacy on it.
After I returned that one I asked my local mechanic if he could source one bearing in mind it has ABS and I counted the splines so he could confirm with the supplier that it would be right.
New one arrives and it says Forrester on the box and has an ABS ring on it. The splines are correct but my ABS car has a large toothed ring on the hub, nothing on the CV joint.
So I returned that one as it can't be right.

I was perusing ebay and came across the whole lot, both sides (hub, driveshaft, CV joints, wishbones and won both for 31 pounds per side.
So I figured I would just swap the driveshaft and joints on the side that needed it and see what happened.

:sad-smiley-046::sad-smiley-046::sad-smiley-046:
Hubs are completely different to mine and have the CV joints with ABS ring on them and a hole in the top for the ABS sensor where as mine is at the bottom, not in the hub.

So I thought bollox to it and fitted the shaft and joints anyway as I was losing patience and running out of time.

Car still clicks but now sounds like its coming from the other (offside) side and when I go around a right hand roundabout carrying a bit of speed it rumbles like mad from the nearside which was the one that was changed.

Has anyone got any ideas of what may be going on here?
I'm thinking of changing everything including the hubs but not sure if my ABS sensor can be relocated to the top of the hub, plus I'm a bit loathe to as most of the left side is new anyway.

I don't normally get flustered by the car but this one has got me and I can't see a way forward.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.:smile:
Old 19 May 2007, 09:19 AM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it still click if u lightly rest your foot on the brake pedal to eliminate brake pad lift due to high spots on the disc ?