Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which Exhaust.......... again!

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2001, 11:00 PM
ruminator
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Janspeed has gone on my 99 5 door, do I replace it with the same, or go for a Magnex.

Im just thinking that the extra that the magnex gives you is only when you replace the downpipe, something I dont want to do. I also quite like the DTM backbox that came with the Janspeed, is it possible to get the magnex DTM to fit on a scoob.

Ive been told that Janspeed exhausts are not really "performance exhausts" just sound and look good and that I should go for a Magnex.

Any thoughts people?

Old 25 December 2001, 12:38 AM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Scoobysport exhausts are generally accepted as the best.
But, decided not to chose SS and chose Scorpion, really on cost grounds (plus I like being slightly different ). It's a full system from the downpipe back and I'm very happy with. Sounds absolutely gorgeous (other Scoob owners have commented on how good it sounds ) and gives a noticeable improvement in performance.

Also, I've rumours that Scorpion produce Prodrive's exhaust for Prodrive - the only difference between the two systems being the stamp on the tailpipe. I've yet to listen to a PP exhaust against mine.
Old 25 December 2001, 10:49 AM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Wink

You wouldn't believe the difference the downpipe makes. If you want cats the middle one is more than adequate to cope with emmissions.
I changed my exhaust in bits and I was in the position to apreciate every bit:

1. Magnex Oval backbox: great soundtrack, perhaps more happy to rev higher.

2. Added straight-through mid section: more metallic sound to the exhaust, more decibels, perhaps slightly better in mid to high rpm.

3. Added the twin-dump Magnex downpipe: more metallic sound, minimal increase in decibels BUT turbo spools up perhaps 500rpm lower than before and engine is much much more free revving. You can hear the turbo whistle much more.

Ask Santa for a downpipe. Merry Christmas.
Old 25 December 2001, 02:08 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

The centre cat is used for cold starts - the one on the downpipe does the majority of the work when it has got up to normal operating temperature. I wouldn't like to comment on the ability of a single centre cat to pass the emissions.... To me, the hassle of changing pipes for the emissions test as part of the MOT is not worth it. With just the cat on the dp in, I put mine in with a warm engine for it's MOT and it hardly registered on their computer. I'll be sticking to my present system, unless I can find a "flexible" MOT station....
Old 25 December 2001, 02:23 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Just keep in mind that the hassle in changing the middle pipe is minimal. A 10 minute DIY job once a year.
Obviously the downpipe is another story.
Old 26 December 2001, 02:50 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

HKS hiper muffler is what you need.
Far superior to any other exhaust.
I have had a Scoobysport and Prodrive WR sport on my car and none compare to the beast HKS
Old 26 December 2001, 10:28 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

I believe the best exhaust is a sheet of tin foil wrapped around of tube of cardboard and sellotaped to the turbo.

I don't think there's much difference between the lot to be honest. Magnex and SS are tried and tested and anyone who says one is better performing than the other blows monkeys.

Too much bull**** on this BBS

MB
Old 26 December 2001, 11:04 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Cool

The BPM twister Backbox, is like no other i have ever seen

Old 27 December 2001, 09:46 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Red face

Whoahhh!

MB
Old 28 December 2001, 09:15 AM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

I have tried 3 exhausts on my car and like I said,HKS has far superior performance on the SS and WR exhausts. There's too much BULLS*** indeed coming from a fool who recommends tin foil and sellotape what a ponce!!
Old 28 December 2001, 10:49 AM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup, I'll go along with the HKS Hiper.

The huge tailpipe and angled exit really looks mean, the sound is fantastic, I took off my Scoobysport back and mid for the change and would recommend it to anyone.

Mines on a scoobysport downpipe, fit was perfect. Not sure what happens when my MOT is due as I can no longer fit my orignal mid section worry about that nearer the time though.

Old 28 December 2001, 12:57 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

HKS = Lot of £££ + lot of dB

Good exhaust though!
Old 28 December 2001, 11:14 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

I fitted a full mongoose inc d/p not long ago on scooby my 97, what a difference plus I got it trade which was the reason I went for it but I would love to try an HKS system though...maybe later.

Any one else in this board got the mongoose system ?
No one seems to have this system.

[Edited by kenny.c - 12/28/2001 11:16:10 PM]
Old 29 December 2001, 12:32 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Alan,

It was actually a sarcastic joke, but just to clarify, as you seem the type who may actually try this, "it was a joke"

Glad someone bit!

MB