Engine / Oil Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2001, 01:48 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All,

Been wondering when it was safe from a cold start to open my Scooby up, but I haven't got the luxury of having a oil temperture guage.

On average how long should I wait (in minutes) before the car is warm enough to have fun I understand that it's a hard question to answer, but would appreciate some input ? Someone with a oil temp. guage should know

Cheers in advance, Phill C

PS Been waiting for temp guage to go past half way and the heater to be warm on a cold morning.
Old 27 December 2001, 06:08 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Phill
The standard water temp gauge goes to normal very quickly, but the oil temp. takes much longer. I try to avoid taking it into boost and exceeding 3000rpm until the oil temp. has reached at least 60c which can take 3-4 miles of morning traffic or approx. 12-15 mins.
Normal running temp. for the oil is around 80c climbing to 100c+ in jams I never accelerate hard after being in heavy traffic, but take it fairly steady until the heat soak in the intercooler has dispersed.
JohnD
Old 27 December 2001, 06:43 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JohnD,

Thanks for that, well I'll take it easier in the morning and when stuck in traffic (never thought about this before) in the future. I knew the temp. gauge wasn't a good indicator to be honest.

Oh well, better get a centre clock pod and a couple of nice guages, so I will be able to tell what's going on.

Cheers Phill C
Old 28 December 2001, 11:57 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Babs ,

As John says, the standard water temp gauge is useless for telling you when "you have permission" ( ), to thrash it

I don't go above 3000rpm until I reach 80 degrees ( c ) which is about 15 mins of driving on average. If it's all city type driving then this is sometimes 20 mins.....

You *do* need to get some gauges ( ), I don't know how I managed before. New Age Motorsport do a luuuuurrrrrrrvvvlllllyyyy set of Defi's in a pod for about £450 - you know you want to

Matt