Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Resonator noise MY00

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2001, 10:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having swapped my K&N 57i for an ITG panel things have quietened down nicely. With search not working:

How much more noise do you get by removing the resonator from the wing? Is it as loud as an induction kit or does it still sound like a panel filter?
Old 29 December 2001, 12:01 PM
Big Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi John, I removed my resonator for a while (MY98). You can hear the dump valve more & induction noise too, also it seemed to pick up a bit quicker(or did it just sound like it did?) but after reading some horror stories about water getting sucked into the intake system I decided to re-fit it just for peace of mind. It also sounded a bit boy racerish IMHO inside the car.

[Edited by Big Lee - 12/29/2001 12:02:06 PM]
Old 29 December 2001, 01:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It sounds like you are saying it will make the same noises as my induction kit did then. So I'll leave it on. Thanks.
Old 29 December 2001, 04:09 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I have wondered about making a large hole in the resonator and using a large pipe like you get with an induction kit between this and the front bumper to force more air in possibly making it slightly more noiset,anyone tried this.
Old 30 December 2001, 12:59 AM
hmhaga
Scooby Regular

Question

How much noise does an induction kit (say a Blitz) add? Is it very noticeable?

My friends and colleagues think my MY98 is loud enough already ;-)
Old 30 December 2001, 09:15 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It was louder than my full decat exhaust below 4000rpm in the cabin.
Old 30 December 2001, 09:47 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

John, FWIW ...

I used to warn people against removing the resonator, but most of the time that warning is blown away as "old fart" stuff ...

As long as your car uses the MAF sensor, I would strongly advise against removing the resonator. In fact, I agree with Prodrive and a few other people that on the MY99/00, you shouldn't even use anything other than the standard paper Subaru filter.

"Induction" is a bit of a misguiding word when it comes to a turbo car at full chat. The turbo can probably suck your dog into the inlet at higher RPM/boost if it comes near enough . It therefor also sucks in any water that comes near the front of the car. The resonator prevents that water from getting to the filter by using a "swirl effect" - technical term lol -(that's why there is a little drainage hole in it at the bottom).

You don't have to believe me, I have been wrong before, but let's just say that I will always remember the day when we were mapping my car (in the rain), and we suddenly saw CO drop from 9 % to 3 %at 6500 RPM full boost . Spray from other cars had been sucked into the inlet, washing the filter oil onto the MAF, causing it to read rather random values

Yes, induction kits etc... may give a small advantage, but I would only use one with a Link/MoTEC etc, as you can then use the MAP input, and ditch the MAF.

Old 30 December 2001, 09:54 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

When you got the funny MAF readings what induction did you have?

Currently I am running an ITG panel, and since I rely on my MAF very strongly now I think that is where it stays, although for ultimate safety I would run the Subaru filter. It does pull a bit better at the top end with the ITG than the Subaru filter I think, but it was difficult to rate the induction kit for absolute performance as it was so noisy and makes it sound very fast (or irritating depending on mood).
Old 30 December 2001, 09:57 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I had a K&N panel filter at the time (otherwise no point in removing the resonator . I think ITG is foam ? (no oil), so it should be a bit safer.

Old 30 December 2001, 10:02 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The ITG is far more loaded with oil than the K&N induction kit was but seems to hold it unless squeezed. I'll keep the resonator on thanks!