Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

non starting type r, had replacement bttm end

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2007, 03:18 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non starting type r, had replacement bttm end

this is doing my head in, bought a sti 8 low mileage bttm end, had heads refurbished all built up with new 550cc injectors & a sard fpr went to start it today and after a min or so on key fired up for 3 secs, thing is when its turning over its like there is no compression in engine, ive checked for spark & fuel and they are fine. . . . . . . . . . . . . . any ideas where to start looking, anything obvious 1st, dont know if its worth mentioning but swapped vf23 for a td05
Old 07 July 2007, 06:38 PM
gazza19800sti1
Scooby Regular

timing issue maybe ?? if sounds like no compression do a comp test you can buy a compression tester for about 15 quid from a local car diy shop .will make no difference turbo swap on starting anyway , you are thinking about a re map after for the td05 though arnt you ? , check cam and crank sensors too clean them up and plugs too . then try again
Old 07 July 2007, 06:46 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

its had new plugs maybe its timing then but if it is why did it start briefly & yes a power fc is on order but need it running 1st
Old 07 July 2007, 07:24 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Apexi FC has a safe map to do just what you want before a full tune.
Take care, the Impreza does not like these changes without a remap.
Old 07 July 2007, 08:21 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

still need it running though
Old 07 July 2007, 09:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Check every connecor again?
Old 08 July 2007, 11:12 AM
satpink
Scooby Regular

will do then report back
Old 08 July 2007, 12:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Turning over like no compression, check your timing belt is not loose/slipping/snapped as well
Old 08 July 2007, 01:54 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

ive taken the cambelt covers off & timing belt is intact seems tight? could it be the timing is out? everything seems to line up with marks
Old 08 July 2007, 01:55 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Same as above ^^^^^^^

You said that it started for a few seconds, sounds like the cambelt has slipped of or snapped or it was not timed up correctly in the first place, hope not as it may have caused valve/piston damage.
Old 08 July 2007, 02:00 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

Double check that all the marks on all 4 of the camshaft pulleys line up, there is a mark on the crankshaft pulley.

Maybe the hydralic tappets have no oil in them, therefore not opening the valves, try disconecting the ignition and turning the engine over for 30 secs or so for the oil pressure to build up.
Old 08 July 2007, 06:15 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

i'll try it & see what happens, will report back, if car ran for a few seconds wouldn't it have pumped up tappets
Old 10 July 2007, 01:43 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

If your heads have hydraulic lifters then you've got bigger problems than it not starting!

550cc injectors and aftermarket fpr at what pressure?

Have you taken the plugs out to check that they aren't soaking wet?
Old 10 July 2007, 08:07 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are SURE the Valve Timing is ok - while the plugs are out,spin the engine over to make sure the Oil Warning Light goes out ( filter primed and oil circulated) and then do a Compression Test to see what you have.
With a good battery to spin the engine and refurbished cylinder heads - you should have a minimum of 147 psi on all cylinders.
Old 10 July 2007, 09:29 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I would say you have mistimed the cams, maybe using the wrong mark on the crank wheel (the small arrow instead of the line)
Old 12 July 2007, 05:14 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

anyone local to burnley lancashire could come & have a look for me, as i'm fed up with this problem. . . . . . . . . . . . . .its doing my head in, even swapped out the sard fpr for the oem one still no joy, could it be the 550's as everything else is pretty much standard, or is everyone quite sure its a timing problem? going to take a few pics with cambelt covers off
Old 12 July 2007, 05:36 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by satpink
anyone local to burnley lancashire could come & have a look for me, as i'm fed up with this problem. . . . . . . . . . . . . .its doing my head in, even swapped out the sard fpr for the oem one still no joy, could it be the 550's as everything else is pretty much standard, or is everyone quite sure its a timing problem? going to take a few pics with cambelt covers off
A compression test should show you the problem, if cam timing is out I would expect to get low readings, are the plugs wet when you take one out?
Does the engine turn over very quickly on the key?
Old 12 July 2007, 05:38 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

plugs are wet & yes it cranks fast. . . . . . . . . . . . . where to get a compression tester?
Old 12 July 2007, 05:53 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by satpink
plugs are wet & yes it cranks fast. . . . . . . . . . . . . where to get a compression tester?
Halfords will do a cheap one, it should give you an idea of what is going on, check one cylinder on each bank if they are low on both, re-check valve timing, was there any unusual noises when turning over, backfiring?

Know this may sound stupid, but plug leads are on correct seen that before, also timing 180 out but that was not on a Subaru.
Old 12 July 2007, 06:42 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

slight backfire when turning over on key & flooring pedal, plug leads are on correct as i have a sti ver3 wagon , copied of that, will take some pics later of cam wheels & crank position, will hi light the marks with some nail varnish & will borrow a compression tester, will report results back, it may help someone else in same predicament, thanks for all peeps that have answered
Old 12 July 2007, 09:18 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Not in your area Satpink but this should help you - save the pic and zoom in.

Mick
Old 12 July 2007, 09:57 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
Not in your area Satpink but this should help you - save the pic and zoom in.

Mick
Can't get a better detailed description than that.
Surely has got to be cambelt timing.
Old 12 July 2007, 10:15 PM
mufcdamo
Scooby Regular

ste have you checked injectors arnt leaking if plugs are wet might be passing
Old 13 July 2007, 06:17 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

ok borrowed a compression tester, will try that tomorrow, as its a newage bottom end wondering if i've mixed up crank sprockets, can anyone tell me how many prongs a classic has & how many a newage has, just want to rule out all possibilitys, if timing is wrong, will it give low compression readings or should the compression read the same no matter what timing is?
Old 15 July 2007, 10:50 AM
satpink
Scooby Regular

well the timing was absolutely spot on, thought it would be, compression tested it, removed all plugs & did one cylinder at a time, all cylinders moved up 1 mark so must be fooked, coulod the valves not have been seated properly when they were refurbed, gaskets blown, bent valves
Old 15 July 2007, 05:24 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you got problems on both heads/cylinders.
If the heads were refurbed,the valve's should have been lapped in and a vaccum test done to ensure they are lapped in and sealing.
Were the valve clearances set corectly ??
Have you got the right head gaskets fitted seeing as you have gone for a Version 8 bottom end - virtually no dish on the crown of those pistons IIRC.
Were the heads torqued down correctly??

You could squirt a few drops of engine oil down the bores and do the Compression test again - this puts a temp. seal around the top compression ring - if the readings are vastly higher,then it will be a problem with the pistons/rings and not the heads.
To be 100% sure, you need to have a leak down test done on the engine - this will pinpoint if it is valves,head gasket,pistons/rings/crankcase blow-by.
Hope some of this helps you.

Mick
Old 15 July 2007, 07:35 PM
satpink
Scooby Regular

thanks mick, its going back to the guy i bought bottom end off, & who got heads refurbed, hoping he can sort it, without me, having to fork out a few 100, but as i've been warned the garage will try to dome out of mioney
Old 15 July 2007, 08:08 PM
jim litten
Scooby Regular

Back to the trigger pattern for the crank pulley, classic car needs one with only five points newage has 35 smaller ones.
Old 16 July 2007, 12:34 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Hi Satpink
Would be good to hear the feedback on this one, as something is fundamentally wrong, are you taking out the engine yourself or is the whole car going back? It would be good to see what is happening when you remove the rocker covers and turn it over by hand. Leak down test is now the only option to discover where it is leaking; putting oil in the bores to seal the rings only works to slightly due to the orientation of the engine i.e. flat four.

Just to Add don't mix up ignition timing with valve timing, if the valves are missed timed, they may not be fully seated at the correct period in time, which can in turn lead to the cylinder not completely filling, which gives low readings. Ignition timing can still be correct though, as the positional input to the ECU comes from the crank sensor.

Hope this helps

Don

Last edited by Eprom; 16 July 2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 16 July 2007, 03:34 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at this; l'd reckon that the cams may be in *** about face. IE inlet in exhaust side or vice versa not necessarily on both sides. The symptoms are perfect.

The cams are marked in & ex & left & right

To a non Subaru engine builder it is quite a regular mistake.

Good Luck David APi

Quick Reply: non starting type r, had replacement bttm end