Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Play in Prop shaft

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2007, 09:59 PM
teaforvicar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in Prop shaft

I have a bit of a wierd noise that is coming form the bottom of car it is a 2003 WRX newage. Narrowed it down to either clutch or prop shaft..

A mechanic had a look today and noticed about 5 degrees of play in the prop (behind the bell housing) shaft, is this normal? obviously there should be some play in it but is this too much?
Old 17 July 2007, 03:39 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

OK the prop goes to no where near the bellhousing, so I assume you mean the rear of the box, some play is usualy, depending on how its assesed (in gear out of gear, with it loaded or not) but 5 degrees assuming its out of gear is less than the max permissable backlash in the rear diff (the probably source of your play) so is irrelevant I'm afraid.

I wonder how any problem narrows down to clutch or prop, or do you mean a front DRIVEshaft?

Simon
Old 17 July 2007, 04:46 PM
teaforvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
OK the prop goes to no where near the bellhousing, so I assume you mean the rear of the box, some play is usualy, depending on how its assesed (in gear out of gear, with it loaded or not) but 5 degrees assuming its out of gear is less than the max permissable backlash in the rear diff (the probably source of your play) so is irrelevant I'm afraid.

I wonder how any problem narrows down to clutch or prop, or do you mean a front DRIVEshaft?

Simon
Sorry I am not that technical, the car was up in the air with it out of gear. I have a rattle that my mechanic things is either the clutch or the driveshaft (this runs under the car and connects to the front and rear diffs I assume)..The sound happens with the clutch engaged when the car is jerkily rolled forward or backwards and is also audible when you lift off at around 3000 Revs in second and the car brakes on the engine..but is a rattly noise. He has had a good look at all heatshields and the exahust but cannot narrow it down.

There is about 5 Degrees play in the driveshaft and as he did not have another newage in the workshop could not check whether this was normal..
Old 19 July 2007, 08:58 AM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

Hi dont know if its of any help, but I started having froblems with my diff, still to accertain if its Cenrte or rear, but I also had the concern about play on the prop shaft. It doesnt appear worn in any way but does have about 5degrees of play.

I will have another look when its on the rams next and see if its the same or worse..
Old 19 July 2007, 01:42 PM
teaforvicar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangle
Hi dont know if its of any help, but I started having froblems with my diff, still to accertain if its Cenrte or rear, but I also had the concern about play on the prop shaft. It doesnt appear worn in any way but does have about 5degrees of play.

I will have another look when its on the rams next and see if its the same or worse..
The noise I have sounds like a heatshield rattle, but have checked all the heatshields so really don;t know. I am booking the car into Cheam Motors next week for them to have a go at finding the cause as I am at a loss..
Old 19 July 2007, 02:33 PM
Gangle
Scooby Regular

Fair enough.. Let us know if the play in the prop shaft is normal?