Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

driveshaft oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2007, 04:09 PM
scoobzie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshaft oil seal

hi guys i got my clutch done yesterday and the mechanic pointed out the seal had gone from the gearbox end he said its just weeping i have had a look i noticed on the side of the gearbox were the driveshaft goes in there is a bolt with a oval platebeside the driveshaft hole i tightend this can anyone tell me if this seal is located behined this and is it a easy repair job or can any of you tell me if i bought a new gearbox will this part be on it and i can just put the drive shaft back in cheers scoobzie
Old 27 July 2007, 05:46 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

I had the drive shaft oil seal done on my classic turbo. The part was about £6 from a subaru dealer (when we finally got the right one) and a guy i know fitted it for me. He said it was a relatively easy job but can't remember how long it took. Its gota be cheaper than replacing the gearbox though.

Andy.
Old 27 July 2007, 10:36 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

be carefull doing this jod u need to drain oil, take small nut out holding the oval plate then remove drive shaft.. then u will notice that there is a round plate with notches on it holding to seal in place and also the diff bearing, this is set to a specific number of turns so the bearing is not to tight or too slack and is only set with box out on a bench i belive with weights, so you need to count how many turns it takes to unwind the cover then take out seal then replace and there is 1 for left hand side and right hand side so get right 1. the oval plate with bolt in is just there to stop seal cover from unwinding thats all
Old 30 July 2007, 09:32 PM
NAY TURBO 99
Scooby Regular

Default whats the size

hi mate if you are havin any trouble getting an oil seal send me the sizes and i will get you one from our stores at work we refurb industrial gearboxes