Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY00 cats

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2002, 11:07 AM
DWK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me if I'm wrong in thinking that the my00 has a cat in the front and middle sections of exhaust.

The reason I am asking is my mate is thinking of going for a decat downpipe, he phoned a tuning company to enquire (won't name them but I have seen them mentioned on here a lot) and they told him both cats are on the front pipe.
He's now unsure as he told his insurance company he would retain one cat with the mod

Help needed please
Old 05 January 2002, 11:39 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

DWK,

There is a cat on the downpipe and also a cat in the middle section. Best results are going for a decat downpipe. I had a scoobysports one and it was much louder. The turbo spooled up at lower revs, well worth the money.

Hope this helps, Cheers Phill C
Old 05 January 2002, 12:49 PM
DWK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Phill, thats what I told him.

He has just bought the car but feels it's underpowered standard
(dont we all) after being in mine, as I've just had PPP fitted.
Because he's just bought the car he wants more power cheaply coz he's skint.

As I've said the people he spoke to told him both cats were in the frontpipe and it would therefor fail an MOT. BUT they said come MOT time they have a centre pipe they can fit to the car to pass the test, then they remove it.
If his car still has a cat though is this a scam or would it really pass??

Old 05 January 2002, 12:57 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Angry

Oh no not another MY00 down on power mine was the same, do a search on hesitating bag of ****e and see what was going on!! It's sorted out now, Floyd is just about to try the same on his

I have heard that there is a "special" pass the MOT mid section available that has two cats.

Cheers Phill C
Old 05 January 2002, 01:11 PM
DWK
Scooby Regular

Hi Phill, I have read your post with interest. I have offered him my ECU from an early my99 as his is playing up at constant revs around 3k. He wants to hold off and see what others think him being the cautious type.
Old 05 January 2002, 01:25 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

He won't regret trying the MY99 ECU, but make sure he gets both sets of keys programmed at the dealers, else the car won't start Tell him to stop being daft and try it. Same ECU with a different map apparently, MY00 ECU tries to be clever with the emissions!!!

I was completely pissed off with my car upto that point, and my fleet manager was looking to get rid of it. I hadn't cleaned it for months, etc. Spent most of the time at the dealers

Since changing the ECU I rediscovered the car Cleaned and Polished it twice last week More than I've done it in the year I had it.

Cheers Phill C
Old 05 January 2002, 02:15 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Talking

if you go to the scottish forum,there is a rolling road day at Star Performance this month,why not come along and see how different mods. perform,there may even be time to get a few places for your cars .

results from the last day can be found at http://www.scoobymods.co.uk/SRollingRoad01.htm

Old 05 January 2002, 02:21 PM
DWK
Scooby Regular

Phill - he's getting his car serviced this month so I'll show him this post and try and tune him into it.

T-uk - I might come along for a looksy
Old 05 January 2002, 02:31 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

babber,

are you sure that the keys need reprogrammed,I have been told that the key sends a signal to a transponder box which then sends a signal to the ECU and as long as the key,ignition barrel and transponder are all coded,any MY99/00 standard or PPP ECU will work without programming.
Old 05 January 2002, 06:40 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats what the dealers said!!! Floyd has a MY99 ECU, so maybe he should try it out ?

My misses keys went funny once, would start the car, but would cut out straight away. Took the keys to the dealers and they fixed it with like a laptop thingy

Cheers Phill C
Old 06 January 2002, 09:42 PM
DWK
Scooby Regular

When I got my PPP fitted I forgot to take my spare key to get programmed. I tried to start the car without it being programmed and it did start but cut out straight away. I took the car to the dealer who got the number of the key from somewhere and programmed it, I think this took about half an hour (I left the car with them)

hope this helps
Old 12 January 2002, 12:51 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

DWK,

would there be any chance of me getting a shot of the ECU to try?

I was going to fit my Dawes for the r/r day to post results but I lent it to a m8 to try and he has gone on holiday .as the car has been consistent at Star Performance,it would be a good opportunity to compare MY00/99 ECU's.
Old 12 January 2002, 05:47 PM
DWK
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry my mates getting it fitted to his my00 on tuesday while its in for a service. But if were home on Sunday (we both work adhoc offshore) we will be at the rr day, so you can find out how he got on.

DWK
Old 12 January 2002, 05:50 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

make sure he gets both sets of keys programmed at the dealers, else the car won't start
I have a MY99 and tried a MY00 ECU in mine and didn't need to do anything with the keys.
Old 12 January 2002, 06:03 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

no problem DWK,it was just for comparison with having what I believe to be consistent MY00 ECU figures.see you at Star.

BuRR,
how did your car go with the MY00 ECU,did it turn it into a gutless,hesitating bucket of sh1te ?