Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Auto box - change shift points?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2007, 10:22 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto box - change shift points?

Ok so if redlining is going past the peak power why does the auto box not shift earlier? If i floor it I redline in every gear, can't help but feel if it changed alittle earlierthere would be more power?

Yes i know a manual is better but lets not discuss that

Can you change the austo shift points?
Old 14 November 2007, 09:12 AM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

there are a couple of electronic options states side for messing with shift points in the 4eat's but expensive & you end up controlling the shifts with a box with buttons on it, looks rather primitive but for a drag racer probably OK..

slight, but I think worthwhile change in shifting charecteristics can easilly be had by swapping the shift loading resistor for something of a slightly different resistance ( I think it was lower but cant remember ) check on some of the US sites for info

I did this about a year ago & I'm pretty sure the shifting is a little "quicker" but not really moving the shift point,

personnally I recon the shift points are ok ( obviously adaptive based on your foot ! ) its the "slushbox" torque convertor that kills yah....

been looking into a high stall torque convertor conversion for ages but finding a donor TC to have modded is a challenge ( on my non existant budget anyway ! )

enjoy it, I have a old & abused classic wagon WRX with minimal mods & ESL remap & have no problem keeping up !

I take it you've addressed the biggest 2 weeknesses in any scoobie,

terrible handling ( fantastic grip but sloppy handling ) uprated ARB's & decent tyres at the correct pressures help a lot here !

& week standard brakes.......
Old 17 November 2007, 09:30 AM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by satancom
Ok so if redlining is going past the peak power why does the auto box not shift earlier? If i floor it I redline in every gear, can't help but feel if it changed alittle earlierthere would be more power?

Yes i know a manual is better but lets not discuss that

Can you change the austo shift points?

go a bit easier on the accelerator and you should see an earlier shift then floor it progressively