Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2008, 11:40 AM
chicken stevens
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement ?

My blooming clutch decided to stop working and i need a new one !!

Any ideas as to what i should put back in ? should i go for a uprated flywheel at the same time ?

I have a UK MY99 running 250BHP

What gains will i get from a better clutch and flywheel ?

Cheers

Adam
Old 15 June 2008, 11:49 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact David at API
Old 15 June 2008, 12:08 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Had a lightened flywheel fitted by API in the past, very good mod, engine revved easier.

Engine braking not effected, although if you go for superlight ones this can happen
Old 15 June 2008, 12:11 PM
chicken stevens
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Had a lightened flywheel fitted by API in the past, very good mod, engine revved easier.

Engine braking not effected, although if you go for superlight ones this can happen
Does the flywheel effect the tickover on idle ?
Old 15 June 2008, 12:16 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chicken stevens
Does the flywheel effect the tickover on idle ?

I no longer have it fitted as now have a twin plate set up, but no, when it was fitted it did not effect tickover at all, the only changes it made were positive IMO.
Old 15 June 2008, 01:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

For that level of tune a standard replacement Exedy clutch will do the job.

We sell fully 6kg forged lightweight flywheels for £205 fully inclusive and delivered. These are our best sellers as they aren't too light, but we do also stock superlightweight flywheels too (4.2kg).

Not to be confused with 'lightened' flywheels.

PM me for further info.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 20 June 2008, 11:54 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOB'5
For that level of tune a standard replacement Exedy clutch will do the job.

We sell fully 6kg forged lightweight flywheels for £205 fully inclusive and delivered. These are our best sellers as they aren't too light, but we do also stock superlightweight flywheels too (4.2kg).

Not to be confused with 'lightened' flywheels.

PM me for further info.

Cheers,

Bob
Are the ring gear teeth on your billet flywheels hardened or are they ' bendy ' like all other budget ' forged ' flywheels??

Ours are hardened.

David Api
Old 20 June 2008, 03:01 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi David,

Ring gear teeth are hardened.

Just because we sell them for less than the equivalent price for you drilling holes in a OE flywheel doesn't make them 'budget'.

The flywheels are proven and of a very high quality, easily on par with named brands also in stock. Lots sold now and never had a single issue.

We could if we wished to, sell them for £250+, but as we buy them in bulk we pass the savings onto customers and don't make massive margins.

It's simple, we buy direct, buy in bulk and pass the savings onto our customers.

£205 Fully Inclusive & Delivered.
Old 20 June 2008, 03:07 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the API lightened flywheel + exedy clutch as well, and I'm very happy with it. It felt like a different car to drive with it on, revs a *lot* better.
Old 20 June 2008, 03:49 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Hi David,

Ring gear teeth are hardened.

Just because we sell them for less than the equivalent price for you drilling holes in a OE flywheel doesn't make them 'budget'.

The flywheels are proven and of a very high quality, easily on par with named brands also in stock. Lots sold now and never had a single issue.

We could if we wished to, sell them for £250+, but as we buy them in bulk we pass the savings onto customers and don't make massive margins.

It's simple, we buy direct, buy in bulk and pass the savings onto our customers.

£205 Fully Inclusive & Delivered.
APi ones are not those Bag of SH*T things with holes drilled randomly in them selling on Ebay, that all the controversy is about.

APi ones are designed and machined in house to a blue print and work very well.

David APi
Old 20 June 2008, 10:48 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

FFS, hand bags at dawn or wot. Another bloody pissing contest.
Lolz0rs
Old 21 June 2008, 07:27 AM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Now now, if you both carry on like that you will have to sit on the naughty step, and think about what you have done.
Old 21 June 2008, 12:42 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 21 June 2008, 04:00 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

A few pointers for the non-technical or inexperienced.
I have been involved in lightening flywheels on cars, boats and motorcycles for over 30 years with specific Subaru experience over at least seven years during which time I can only ever recall 2 problems.

Firstly, there is no point fitting a lightweight flywheel of any type as an individual operation. Any benefits just do not warrant it. The time to fit a lighter flywheel is when you are replacing the gearbox or the clutch and there is a good case for doing it if your existing flywheel is worn, marked or the car suffers judder.
Going below 7kg is starting to get to the point where you can experience difficulties. It takes a few days to get used to the lighter clutch, there is more chance of stalling and if you are in to doing drag starts you will notice that you have to use quite a few more revs to come off the line cleanly and launches have to be that much more precise.
Clutch wear will be that little bit higher and become noticably higher the lighter you go.
Particulary with aftermarket injectors and ECUs smooth tickover can be that much more difficult to achieve.

I think some people grossly exaggerate the benefits of a lightweight flywheel.
With a lightweight flywheel your engine will rev quicker when you blip the throttle in neutral which is no big deal but when your car is on the move I defy anyone to detect any performance difference that is measurable from a lightweight flywheel.
Your car will be lighter. Subaru Classic flywheels are either around 12.2 kg or 10.4 kg approx and when lightening flywheels I aim to be not below 7 kg and not about 8 kg for Classic Subaru.
I also have experience of flywheels in the 4 - 6 kg range but no longer use anything that light on any of my vehicles nor do I sell anything of that weight range.

Anyone who drills a flywheel as a means of lightening does not know what they are doing or talking about.
Reducing the weight of an OE flywheel safely and sensibly is a skilled job on two separate machine tools and if the balance cannot be checked there are potential problems which will result in removing the gearbox again at further expense.
I have seen the API lightweight flywheels machined down from the original item and I consider they are a professional job and represent value for money.
Most lightweight OE flywheels I supply are while we are fitting a clutch or gearbox for which the swap charge (for a new clutch or gearbox swap) is an all inclusive £150 unless lubricants are required. Most flywheels are supplied on an exchange basis.
A new forged flywhell with hardened ring gear for
£205 Fully Inclusive & Delivered
is incredible. No disrespect to Bob but I have in depth technical experience of flywheel lightening. I have no marerial cost as I start with the O/E item and know the machining, grinding and balancing costs. Manufacturing, heat treating and assembling the ring gear are all additional costs which make £205 remarkable. It would be relatively easy and relatively inexpensive to have an independent hardness test on any ring gear that subsequently failed.
We have just come across a failled ring gear from an aftermarket flywheel, not supplied by anyone on this thread so exercise care as there is certainly a Far East supply of these around at present.
Old 21 June 2008, 04:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Harvey,

As you already know my opinion of lightweight flyhweels is different to yours.

I've run one a superlightweight one (4.2kgs) in my own car for some years now. It's my daily driver and as you know, is also used on the drag strip.

In terms of launching, yes it may be a little more tricky to get it right at first, but once you have the hang of it you can launch consistantly and well...

60ft: 1.71
330ft: 4.88
660ftMPH: 92.53
660ft: 7.51
990ft: 9.75
1/4 MPH: 117.57
1/4ET: 11.77

60ft: 1.69
330ft: 4.88
660ftMPH: 92.49
660ft: 7.53
990ft: 9.77
1/4 MPH: 119.23
1/4ET: 11.79

60ft: 1.67
330ft: 4.86
660ftMPH: 91.58
660ft: 7.52
990ft: 9.77
1/4 MPH: 118.87
1/4ET: 11.79

60ft: 1.70
330ft: 4.89
660ftMPH: 92.86
660ft: 7.55
990ft: 9.79
1/4 MPH: 116.84
1/4ET: 11.82

60ft: 1.67
330ft: 4.90
660ftMPH: 88.91
660ft: 7.56
990ft: 9.81
1/4 MPH: 116.19
1/4ET: 11.82

60ft: 1.70
330ft: 4.93
660ftMPH: 91.25
660ft: 7.60
990ft: 9.85
1/4 MPH: 118.83
1/4ET: 11.87

60ft: 1.83
330ft: 5.035
660ftMPH: 90.69
660ft: 7.69
990ft: 9.95
1/4 MPH: 115.25
1/4ET: 11.97

60ft: 1.73
330ft: 4.99
660ftMPH: 90.61
660ft: 7.67
1/4 MPH: 117.92
1/4ET: 11.99

60ft: 1.74
330ft: 4.96
660ftMPH: 89.26
660ft: 7.65
1/4 MPH: 114.75

60ft: 1.81
330ft: 5.04
660ftMPH: 89.73
660ft: 7.71
990ft: 9.96
1/4 MPH: 118.18

That was just in one visit with 340bhp. Its not a single component that produced those results, but a combination of parts including a Forged Superlightweight flywheel.

Its not a modification that is going to give any joy on the dyno, but on the road and track I think its a very worthwhile modification.

The clutch has been changed a couple of times and would never go back to an OE flywheel. 4.2kgs is ideal for me and we also run one of our 6kg flywheels on our other Impreza, which is the most popular weight flywheel we sell.
Old 21 June 2008, 04:56 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Firstly, there is no point fitting a lightweight flywheel of any type as an individual operation. Any benefits just do not warrant it. The time to fit a lighter flywheel is when you are replacing the gearbox or the clutch and there is a good case for doing it if your existing flywheel is worn, marked or the car suffers judder.

I agree. I had mine fitted when i uprated the clutch and that was the only reason it was done then.

Going below 7kg is starting to get to the point where you can experience difficulties. It takes a few days to get used to the lighter clutch, there is more chance of stalling and if you are in to doing drag starts you will notice that you have to use quite a few more revs to come off the line cleanly and launches have to be that much more precise.

IMHO i agree again. Mine is a Kaiten i think weighs 5.4 kg. I personally feel this is too light and if it was easy would have changed it by now.
30mph in 4th is not nice and any kind of load labours the car. This HAS to be due to the lack of momentum caused by the weight difference. (i may be wrong of course as i cannot remember how it drove at 30mph as standard! lol)

Particulary with aftermarket injectors and ECUs smooth tickover can be that much more difficult to achieve.

I dont agree with this, BUT mine was remapped afterwards so this probably explains why i have not had any problems here. Again, Bob Rawle just raised my tickover ever so slightly due to my flywheel.

I think some people grossly exaggerate the benefits of a lightweight flywheel.
With a lightweight flywheel your engine will rev quicker when you blip the throttle in neutral which is no big deal but when your car is on the move I defy anyone to detect any performance difference that is measurable from a lightweight flywheel.

Again i would defy anyone to detect major performance difference. In fact, as i said above, if i get the chance mine is coming off the car and i will only fit a lightENED flywheel in future of the 8kg variety.

I also have experience of flywheels in the 4 - 6 kg range but no longer use anything that light on any of my vehicles nor do I sell anything of that weight range.

LOL,

Anyone who drills a flywheel as a means of lightening does not know what they are doing or talking about.
Reducing the weight of an OE flywheel safely and sensibly is a skilled job on two separate machine tools and if the balance cannot be checked there are potential problems which will result in removing the gearbox again at further expense.
I have seen the API lightweight flywheels machined down from the original item and I consider they are a professional job and represent value for money.
Most lightweight OE flywheels I supply are while we are fitting a clutch or gearbox for which the swap charge (for a new clutch or gearbox swap) is an all inclusive £150 unless lubricants are required. Most flywheels are supplied on an exchange basis.
A new forged flywhell with hardened ring gear for is incredible. No disrespect to Bob but I have in depth technical experience of flywheel lightening. I have no marerial cost as I start with the O/E item and know the machining, grinding and balancing costs. Manufacturing, heat treating and assembling the ring gear are all additional costs which make £205 remarkable. It would be relatively easy and relatively inexpensive to have an independent hardness test on any ring gear that subsequently failed.
We have just come across a failled ring gear from an aftermarket flywheel, not supplied by anyone on this thread so exercise care as there is certainly a Far East supply of these around at present.
A very honest reply harvey and thanks for the info.
Old 21 June 2008, 05:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

£205 delivered is a great price for a Forged Flywheel of such high quality.

The reason for this is that we buy in such large quantities that we can sell them to the public for effectively what we would/could more or less sell them to the trade (our retail prices would obviously go up to protect trade buyers).

The same product on the shelves of Tuning companies would then be £250+.
Old 21 June 2008, 05:20 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

MaDaSS: What is your thinking in wanting a lightened cast OE flywheel over a forged lightweight one?

Just the weight?

Lightened OE flywheels are limited to weight options, due to the simple fact you can only remove so much weight before it becomes too weak and prone to shattering.

Forged flywheels can be designed to offer any weight option from 4kgs upwards, whilst being incredibly strong.

Lightened OE flywheels may be a worthwhile option if there is a significant cost saving over a forged item.

Am genuinely interested in your thinking.

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 21 June 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 21 June 2008, 07:13 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

MaDaSS: What is your thinking in wanting a lightened cast OE flywheel over a forged lightweight one?

Just the weight?

Lightened OE flywheels are limited to weight options, due to the simple fact you can only remove so much weight before it becomes too weak and prone to shattering.

Forged flywheels can be designed to offer any weight option from 4kgs upwards, whilst being incredibly strong.

Lightened OE flywheels may be a worthwhile option if there is a significant cost saving over a forged item.

Am genuinely interested in your thinking.
I am thinking purely from a weight point of view. I feel mine is too light for me and my use of the car. I would need to drive a standard 03 WRX at 30mph in 4th to compare. That is where i am on about. Don't get me wrong, if the standard car was as crap at 30mph in 4th as mine is then i have no issue at all.
From a quality of build/weight point of view, then a purpose made lightweight one would win hands down all the time over an oem skimmed one.
Again, this is purely my feel for how i use and drive the car.
Not talking about flywheels now for a minute:- I drove RCM's red classic which in 4th gear does 2k revs at 30mph, so it picks up well, and does not labour at those revs.
My 03 WRX does 1500 revs at 30 in 4th, so it is borderline labouring and any load defintely makes it labour at that speed and gearing.
I have talked/convinced myself this is purely down to my lightweight flywheel not helping things due to momentum, etc, etc.
Of course, i may be totally talking out of my rear end!
Old 22 June 2008, 12:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Bob : What is acceptable to you and what skills you have to achieve the imprezave results you have may not be acceptable or achievable by others.
I realise you are highly motivated and would guess what is acceptable to you may not be acceptable to a percentage of other people. I am simply sharing my vast experience in this area and have no wish to be argumentative. There is no right answer and what is right for you may not be right for me.

Incidentally, one of the guys with the flywheel ring gear issues took his flywheel to the college he attended on day release and a lecturer did some hardness tests on that flywheel. Sometime later he took another flywheel (not a Subaru) and the lecturers words were that someone was making ring gear from chocolate.

MaDaSS : Our experiences/views are obviously similar. Please do not misinterpret what I am saying about tickover. It is more difficult to achieve satisfactory tickover with a light flywheel because of the reduced energy stored in the light weight item but a competent mapper like Bob who is determined to get the best results can achieve acceptable tickover. It just takes a little more effort and may involve adding a little fuel and raising the tickover 50 rpm.
Cheers.
Old 23 June 2008, 09:45 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good thread this. I've just fitted an Exedy Twinplate clutch on my 03STI road car - this comes as a complete assembly with a flywheel that is signicantly lighter than standard (nearer to 8kgs vs 12kgs).

The lighter flywheel IS noticeable in everday driving, giving a crisper response when upshifting or downshifting, but the difference isn't huge. Idle is unaffected and smooth hill starts are still easy - hardly different from the OEM clutch. However, whether I're really want to go any lighter than this is debateful, for all the reasons outlined above.
Old 23 June 2008, 10:25 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

The weight difference on new age car flywheels is less pronounced than doing the same job on a Classic.

As H says Classics are circa 12.2 or 10.4 so a reduction in weight to 7 kgs' is quited marked. The standard 6 speed flywheel only weighs low 8 Kg's as fitted and we worked and worked on a demo one for my car a few years back and could barely get a kilo off it. They are a funny shape if you;ve never seen one.

Most replacement for 6 speed flywheels then are forged steel weighing about 5.5 Kg's in my experience.

The point being, that there isn't a cheap lightweight alternative for the standard 6 speed flywheel and the current cost for 6 speed billet flywheels make it a less attractive upgrade.

David APi
Old 23 June 2008, 07:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Just to add further information that may be helpful.
My comments above are related only to 5 speed gearboxes and I have never attempted to lighten the flywheel on a 6 speed box and have no intention of doing so. If your 6 speed flywheel is goosed then a forged replacement or another original Subaru item is the answer.
At 8 kg, other than perhaps taking a day to get used to the difference in inertia, I don't think there are any downsides that I am aware of.
With the lighter flywheel, blipping the throttle will be crisper but I defy anybody to measure any improvement in 0-60, 0-100 or quarter mile times for that mod on its own.
If anyone wants the hardness on a ring gear tested I can arrange for that to be done providing the courier cost of the flywheel is covered.
Old 24 June 2008, 12:22 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by harvey
With the lighter flywheel, blipping the throttle will be crisper but I defy anybody to measure any improvement in 0-60, 0-100 or quarter mile times for that mod on its own.
We all know that would be near impossible to prove or disprove on something that is measured in tenths of a second.

I've always been a fan of superlight flywheels and like the way they drive and make the car feel

Its of no real concern to me (OE Lightened vs Lightweight Forged) on the retail side of things as we'll sell whatever the customer demands.

Bob