2.5 Catch Tank Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2010, 10:41 PM
Broxi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Catch Tank Setup

Hi,

I have recently fitted a return to the sump Catch tank to my 2.5 RA.

The setup has 3 10mm ports on the top and 1 25mm breather behind them.

Prior to this i had a Cusco 2 pipe catch can, and this regularly filled with oil, so thought easier to do return to the sump.

Only having fitted this setup, my car immediatly Smokes like wet logs on a fire... cannot see anything behind me.

I have both rocker cover pipes coming off and dropping down to 10mm and connecting individually to two of the 10mm connectors, the other 10mm drops down the transmission Tunnel.

Both the crankcase vents on the 2.5 block connect via T piece to the PCV and then step up in size to eventually fit the 25mm breather.

i originally blocked the pipe returning to the Induction off, but the engine bay and cabin filled with smoke.

So i took the pipe from the transmission tunnel and routed this back to the induction pipe, at this point the engine bay and cabin were clear and the car smoked out the exhaust.

I have since put the vent back down the transmission tunnel. and fitted the original pipe from the crankcase vent closest to the turbo, and have the pipe connected to the induction pipe their as per original setup. still have the PCV and both crank vents connected via T piece

See pics below.

With this setup, the Induction filter and Dump valve are throwing oil all over the engine bay, and the car will smoke bad one min then nothing the next.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So what i need to work out is why the car is breathing so much with this setup. What i forgot to add in these pics is the return to sump.

I am thinking that 1) 10mm is too small and is causing back pressure due to reduced size piping.
2) possible PCV issue.

I did remove the pcv and it was all free i could turn it side to side and the valve opens and closes freely. after cleanng with carb cleaner

any other idea's Suggestions?

Thanks
Derek
Old 01 August 2010, 11:19 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine was done as follows without issue.

Two heads t'd and fed to catch can.

Small crank case breather capped off.

Return to inlet pipe blocked off or in my case (non existant) due to simple straight length of samco used instead.

PCV Valve removed from manifold and a bung screwed into manifold instead.

Large crankcase breather to catch can.

Return to sump via sump plug fitting.

Catch can breather was vented to atmosphere roughly half way down the underside of the vehicle.

Hope thats of some use

Daz
Old 01 August 2010, 11:38 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simplistically, the catch can is used instead of, and to replace, the PCV breather system. You have 3 inputs to your tank: one is for the crankcase; the other two for the heads. The large 25mm on the top is to vent to atmosphere, as is best run towards the back of the car.