Recommended clutch for 350bhp

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2010, 09:10 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Recommended clutch for 350bhp

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is a question thats been answered many times, but I need advice.

I'm running ~350bhp in MY99 STI and the clutch needs replacing.

Whats my options?

I've been in touch with Exedy and they recommend 1 of the 3 the following...

http://www.exedy.co.uk/index.php?mai...&submit=Search

Any advice on these or other options?

Thanks
Old 11 August 2010, 09:26 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save yourself alot of money and just get the Stage 1 organic sports clutch kit. http://www.exedy.co.uk/index.php?mai...my_page=sports

get the one with the 'organic' friction plate and not the stage 2 'paddle' friction plate.
Here are the torque ratings for the various exedy clutches (for an EVO 6 to 9, but will be similar, maybe bit less for a 5 speed scooby). http://www.exedy.co.uk/techinfo/EvoSpecs.pdf

As you can see from the link for road and track use the stage 1clutch is more than enough, but remember that it's the torque and not the bhp which the clutch needs strength to handle.

Their are two different stage 1 kits. One is a standard kit which has a very light pedal and is good for every day driving, the other has an cover plate that has a higher clmping load and a slightly tougher friction plate and is still good for every day driving but the pedal is a bit stiffer than the standard kit. This friction plate comes in a pink box btw. Just make sure you source the kit from a reputable dealer as there are many copies out there. Try PM'ing 'Harvey', he did me a good price on an Exedy kit.

Last edited by apac; 11 August 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11 August 2010, 10:44 AM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Thank you very much apac, it looks like the Stage 1 Organic will be perfect.

I had a Nissan 200SX which was pushing ~350bhp and I got an Exedy clutch with the 'tri-plate' as seen in the pics in that link. The clutch pedal was a bit harder to push down and had a really strong spring to it, but I really liked it and would love that again

So you say there are 2 different stage 1 kits, which is the one as in my old 200SX with the slightly tougher friction plate and harder pedal? ...is that the one with the tri-plate?
Old 11 August 2010, 12:42 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's a single plate clutch, no need to go for a twin plate etc.

I think it's this model, but best to check when ordering... http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...10b0s2604p2649
Old 11 August 2010, 12:58 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Thanks again apac

The description below from the link sounds like its the one I'm after, harder pedal so not traffic friendly, but thats a good trait in my books

PRODUCT MODEL IMPREZA CLASSIC GC8 GF8 GDA GGA 08/96 ON

Description Clutch plate with Newly developed asbestos free friction facing is used which has high heat resistance and high burst strength characteristics. Superior in shift operations and half-engagement feeling, this clutch kit is recommended for fast road use. This is combined with an uprated cover that achieves a 40% increase in clamping load over the Genuine OEM part thus allowing /enabling a higher torque transmitting capacity. Ductile pressure plates are used for all kits giving a high burst strength
Kit also includes the correct thrust bearing.

Years and Models This clutch will make driving in traffic harder as it will judder and rattle unless you use a quicker take off than normal.

Manufacturers Part Numbers for REF ONLY FK01H601 FD08G or FD08H FC04T BRG602 + Pilot Bearing
And its got a 40% increase in clamping load which sounds good.

Last edited by alex_00s; 11 August 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11 August 2010, 01:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Alex,

Back on the road finally? Must be pleased

We have the one that you've linked on the shelf as well as the Exedy Racing Organic Anti-Judder version. The latter is more popular and nice to drive.

http://www.superhids.co.uk/exedy-clu...der-230mm.html

If you can stretch, it is well worthwhile going with a forged lightweight flywheel too. On special at the moment at just £200 more.

You're welcome to pop in and collect too.
Old 11 August 2010, 01:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Hi Alex,

Back on the road finally? Must be pleased

We have the one that you've linked on the shelf as well as the Exedy Racing Organic Anti-Judder version. The latter is more popular and nice to drive.

http://www.superhids.co.uk/exedy-clu...der-230mm.html

If you can stretch, it is well worthwhile going with a forged lightweight flywheel too. On special at the moment at just £200 more.

You're welcome to pop in and collect too.
Old 11 August 2010, 01:21 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alex_00s
Thanks again apac

The description below from the link sounds like its the one I'm after, harder pedal so not traffic friendly, but thats a good trait in my books

And its got a 40% increase in clamping load which sounds good.
Pedal won't be harder from my experience of these clutches over several years. Pedal feels much like it did with the OEM one.
Old 11 August 2010, 01:48 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

Hi Bob, yeah its wonderful being back on the road. I'm over the moon!

I'd really like a lightened flywheel to go with it actually... £200 will need thinking about tho, but do you know the weight differences of the OEM and the lightened one??

As per the link: Thats the right part number - FK01H1601 and in the pink box

I'll need to wait til pay day at the end of the month b4 making any purchases. I'll give you a shout then Bob

Altho I am heading up to Harvey in Oct so may get it done thru him, will see what unfolds.

Thanks guys
Old 11 August 2010, 01:49 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

have a look in my thread at the clutch im selling in the forsale section. willing to do you a deal. its an almost new exedy modified clutch that api rate to 400/400. pics are in the thread as well. or pm me for info
Old 11 August 2010, 02:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

OEM flywheels vary between 2 weights iirc, the lightweight forged ones we do are less than half the weight of an OEM one which results in a very nice improvement. Lightweight forged flywheels (more expensive) should not be confused with OEM lightened versions (cheap).

The part number you've listed is the original Exedy Organic Racing clutch which does have a tendency to judder, although a very good clutch. Also, the term "pink box" is a dated term now which used to distinguise a OEM version to a Racing version. They all now come in the same coloured outer boxes, all the inner friction plate box is still pink.
Old 11 August 2010, 02:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

OEM flywheels vary between 2 weights iirc, the lightweight forged ones we do are less than half the weight of an OEM one which results in a very nice improvement. Lightweight forged flywheels (more expensive) should not be confused with OEM lightened versions (cheap).

The part number you've listed is the original Exedy Organic Racing clutch which does have a tendency to judder, although a very good clutch. Also, the term "pink box" is a dated term now which used to distinguise a OEM version to a Racing version. They all now come in the same coloured outer boxes, all the inner friction plate box is still pink.
Old 11 August 2010, 03:22 PM
alex_00s
Scooby Regular

I'll try and put extra money aside for the flywheel
Old 11 August 2010, 06:52 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

speak to dave at api get one of his modified exceedy cluthes there good for 400/400 i have one and im running 390 365ft and its good, i put a recond fly wheel on for 90.00 quid and its fine no judders just good driving, oh a nd the cluth was about 350.00 quid
Old 11 August 2010, 07:14 PM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

i have one of them for sale in great condition. and i only bought it in november last years
its done about 3000 miles max as you will tell by the pictures. and its never had abuse. £200 plus postage.