Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Noisey Rear

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2010, 10:22 PM
ollygee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisey Rear

Ok basically whirring noise coming from rear of my impreza sport (99% certain n/s) this is only when driving not stationary, quicker i go louder it gets, had perished tyre on n/s so had replaced, still there then got n/s bearing done still there, my driveshaft was in poor state mech said so could this be at fault ? i changed my diff oil and was greeny blackish but not a single piece of metal on the magnet ? am clued up n non the wiser any ideas ?

Help appreciated thanks.
Old 17 August 2010, 02:44 PM
bls1
Scooby Newbie

not specific to Impreza but general rule for wheel bearings is they whine worse when turning corner in one direction, and less when turning a corner in the other direction. I cannot remember which way for which wheel but sure its available somewhere on the net.

Also, its not uncommon for wheel bearing to sound like its coming from one side, but actually be on the other, as sound transmits along axle / driveshaft.

Hopefully above allows you to rule out wheel bearing or confirm its the side you haven't already replaced.
Old 17 August 2010, 04:46 PM
ollygee
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reply, well today a axled the car off the ground and put in first and ran it at 1K revs at this point i noticed that the n/s fornt and n/s rear wheels did not rotate ?? and you can see the n/s rear axle wanting to turn but not actually doing so just a small kinda tick to the side, at this point a decided to spin the hub to the same speed of the o/s wheel and voila my grinding noise dissapears moment i stop spinning the wheel grinding noise re apperars !!!

Any ideas ?

Help apprecaited.