Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

1997 Type R Lower Speedo Cable

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2010, 09:42 AM
hacky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Type R Lower Speedo Cable

So the speedo on my type R stopped working a while ago and I am finally getting a look at it. Had the dash out so suspected is was simply not fully home but double checked it and it was definately plugged in.

Also drove it without the dash in and it doesnt turn. I couldnt pull it out either which suggests that it is broken but in the lower part. This sound correct?

If so would the part below work? Says only upto 1996 but I'm sure it looks like the same part. Did other models change to drive by wire as opposed to cable in 1997? If so mines is drive by cable and the product below would work?

Cheers,
G

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...es_CarParts_SM
Old 28 August 2010, 03:29 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hacky
So the speedo on my type R stopped working a while ago and I am finally getting a look at it. Had the dash out so suspected is was simply not fully home but double checked it and it was definately plugged in.

Also drove it without the dash in and it doesnt turn. I couldnt pull it out either which suggests that it is broken but in the lower part. This sound correct?

If so would the part below work? Says only upto 1996 but I'm sure it looks like the same part. Did other models change to drive by wire as opposed to cable in 1997? If so mines is drive by cable and the product below would work?

Cheers,
G

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...es_CarParts_SM

Dont no if it will help mate but when i stripped my car down for my project build the speedo wasnt working, i found that the section that comes from the bulkhead has a little box on the end which fits into another cable going into gbox they had come apart slightly so the spindles where not mated.
Dont no if it would be the same on yours, mine was a 94sti.

Ian
Old 05 September 2010, 09:11 PM
hacky
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked it however the convertor was pretty secure therefore I am sure it is the lower speedo cable.

Subaru would supply it for about 70 quid. Import Car Parts supplied it for 30ish quid. Will arrive during the week and will let you know how I get on.

Just for reference, my symptoms were the speedo doesnt pick up a speed, the speedo cable does not revolve when driving and the Apexi FC does not pick up a speed either. Will let you know if the lower speedo cable fixes this.