auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2010, 04:59 PM
scoobyman316
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual

Hi all

Ive just bought a auto wrx wagon with a knackered auto box but engine and body are mint
ive also got a uk turbo manual with blown engine and rough body work
what i am looking at doing is coverting the auto to manual
i know i will need to change
gearbox
rear diff
brake pedal
fit clutch pedal
front driveshafts
rear driveshafts?? unsure
short out the park/neutral switch
fit clutch and flywheel
is there anything i have missed or has anyone on here done the conversion before and could give me advise

regards
David
Old 16 February 2011, 07:11 PM
Jordan90
Scooby Newbie

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. You will need everything you mentioned in you post and more. You will also need the rear diff and possibly the ECU.

Any more information from someone more educated than myself would be appreciated.
Old 16 February 2011, 08:57 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Been posted on her a few years ago and the general consensus was cost was prohibitive, therefore not worthwhile.
Old 28 February 2011, 11:57 PM
Jordan90
Scooby Newbie

Cost is not an issue. I have all the parts.
Old 11 October 2011, 01:43 PM
dazer_70
Scooby Newbie

I'm busy converting my auto wrx import wagon at the moment and am stuck with the wiring...The two big plugs that plug into the auto box..Have an ra gearbox fitted with the hydraulic slave which made the conversion much easier...However i have a plug coming from the manual gearbox with only four wires???Can anyone help????The conversion itself was straight forward..good luck with it.....

Last edited by dazer_70; 11 October 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12 October 2011, 04:56 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need to remove the neutral start [ selector ] switch from the auto box - click it into Park or neutral and leave it plugged in to the transmission wiring harness taped away out of sight under the car somewhere. Unless you do that, the car will not start on the auto ECU as it needs to know it is in park etc.

There is another ecu behind the speedo purely for the auto box, remove it and ignore the wiring. It is no longer necessary. We never did get the reverse lights working on the manual box, but no doubt someone cleverer than us with wires will come on and tell you what to do.

Otherwise it is fairly simple to do. Expensive sure, but very worthwhile.

Good Luck David APi
Old 16 October 2011, 10:38 PM
dazer_70
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for that apidavid..Was aware of that modification but have been told to bridge number 11 and 12 wires together to do away with the nuetral/park switch which in turn does away with the need for the selector...However was hoping to make it look oem so was hoping to trace the wiring back and do away with the selector all together...Can anyone shed any light on whether this will work???Have been told i have to join 2 wires near the gear selector inside the car to bypass the key release function..HAve the chance of a full dashboard wiring harness for a manual.Would it be easier to just swap the harnesses over???.Can anyone shed any light on this too please?????

Last edited by dazer_70; 31 December 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04 May 2014, 09:21 PM
philt
Scooby Newbie

Default Auto to Man conversion

Hello,
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I am about to carry out a similar conversion. I have a '99 MY JDM STi V5, bodily shot (accident damage) and a '99 MY JDM SRX (auto) which is in excellent condition. The mech part of the conversion is not an issue but I am a little concerned about the electrics. Main question concerns the engine harness - the turbo / non turbo harnesses will be different, but how do they integrate with the main vehicle harness? Can they be easily separated? Don't really want to swap the complete vehicle harness.
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers,
Phil.