Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Deltadash - which OS?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2002, 12:51 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Since I've had no response in Computer Related, I'll try my luck here.

Can anyone tell me what OS is supported with the Deltadash software?

I'm taking a laptop over to John Banks this evening and I want to make sure I install the most appropriate OS for the job. Currently have NT4 SP6a.

Stefan
Old 23 April 2002, 12:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think Stephen said he tested it with 95, 98 and 2000, but presumed it worked with ME. It runs fine on my Win 2000 desktop, which may mean it is OK on NT unless there are major differences in the way the parallel port is addressed? (re the dongle).

Of note, my car when cold this morning idled at over 1500 RPM. Also when you said the revs dropped to 200 RPM what did you mean - the rev counter has 0 then 500 RPM immediately after, then goes in 100 RPM steps all the way round - it is non-linear below 500 RPM - I presume the RB5 is the same?

I also found out that the MOT spec for Subaru warm idle is 750 to 1050 RPM, so if it needs adjusting we have some range to do so.

BTW let me make it clear that I installed Delta Dash on Scotsman's laptop for the logging and then we wiped it after we had finished and he used the demo version to look at the logs. I intend to do the same with Stefan. Anyway, the demo version does exactly the same if you don't have the dongle. So it is only ever installed on one laptop at once - can't wait to get my own laptop then I can log my OWN car!

[Edited by john banks - 4/23/2002 12:59:30 PM]
Old 23 April 2002, 01:10 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers John, I'll stick W2000 on the laptop this afternoon.

Sorry, yes it drops to the first line, so 500rpm. It may go slightly lower or just above, but the needle is constantly moving so difficult to give a truely accurate reading. If driven really hard, it'll go up and down twice, but after a small blast it'll do it once. Always appears to settle between 700-800.

With my old AE801 ECU I don't remeber it every going as high as 1,500rpm so the MOT values of between 750-1050 sound right.

Stefan
Old 23 April 2002, 01:43 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the web site...

What kind of PC do I need to run Delta Dash and Delta ECU programming software ?

You can use virtually any PC capable of running Windows. The software has been tested with Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows 2000, using both Intel and Athlon processors. In comparison to most application that you would run on a Windows PC, these products consume far less memory and processing power - they have been designed to run as efficiently as possible, so that you can log information as fast as possible.

Minimum recommended specification is Pentium PC with 32MB RAM and 20MB free disk space. You will require a free serial port and a free parallel port. If your serial port is not the standard 9-pin variety, then you will also need a 25->9-way adaptor. If you have do not have a serial port, but do have USB, you will need a USB to serial adaptor cable for your laptop.

Having said that, the faster your PC, the quicker you can log and graph data. The more memory and disk space you have, the more data you can log, and for a longer period.
Old 23 April 2002, 01:59 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I finally got my self a cheap second hand laptop thanks to Jim Theo. I did a couple of runs using my Delta Dash with Jim Theo's scoob on the weekend, when I went up to see him 700km away and to also pick up the laptop he found for me.

Waiting for the weather to fix up before I do some runs with my car.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 23 April 2002, 02:04 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stephen.

It was really just too make sure there were no funnies with XP or 98 or anything really.

After years in IT, I never trust what spec the delelopers tell me

I'll have a laptop with W98 and NT4 or XP for tonight.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 23 April 2002, 08:30 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

From my experience in PCs, Win98 second edition is by far the more stable OS for such programs without problems. Of course NT or XP are better Operating Systems but they always have compatibility problems. Could you tell me please why after a wrong com port installation (Delta Dash already - right - installed in this laptop) software seems not to work???
By the way Delta Dash software recognize my PPP ECU as AE801 type!
JIM
Old 23 April 2002, 10:37 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Jim,

Both John Banks and myself tested my car with the PPP ECU and it was reported as an AE801. I think it's the same ECU, but just a different mapping. I certainly wouldn't worry about it as DD will happily display all the ECU info anyways.

Perhaps Stephen or John would explain if that's the case or not?

Stefan
Old 23 April 2002, 10:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I belive it is Stefan, but why the faff of the pink STi badges?? Maybe they were the only ones that could code the ECU for Prodrive at the time?
Old 23 April 2002, 10:49 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Wink

They probably had loads of them 2nd-hand with all those stolen or recked jap imports
Old 23 April 2002, 11:50 PM
StephenDone
Scooby Regular

>From my experience in PCs, Win98 second edition is by far the >more stable OS for such programs without problems.
>
I agree. Win98 SE is quick and stable.
Re your serial port problem, mail ecutek and explain things quite a bit more.

>By the way Delta Dash software recognize my PPP ECU as AE801 type!
>
Because STI forgot to change the ID on the ECU before they released it. Every other ECU responds with a different ID, apart from the PPP. Try it with a select monitor - it will see a PPP as an 801 too. It could also have been that they didn't want to send out software updates for the select monitor so that it would understand the new ECU id of the PPP - dealers have to pay about £500 for each new cartridge.
Old 24 April 2002, 01:17 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve,

I'm the one with the port problem. I phoned Jim tonight and told him of my problem, cos his job is in IT, but we could not work it out. Looks like he put up a question on here before I came on. I was with Jim on the weekend testing my Delta Dash on his scoob cos I bought my lap top through him, as I said in my previous post on this page. I went to him by plane cos he is 700km away, so I did not have my scoob with me.

I have e mailed you at 10.00pm your time regarding the port problem which was caused by me accidently.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 24 April 2002, 01:01 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Thank you very much for your e mail and the top instructions. Problem solved. It just started raining again. Am I in Greece or the UK?

Cgeers,

Wrexy.