Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Cold Run Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2002, 09:52 AM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there some kind of sensor in the cooling system to tell the ecu that the engine is cold? If so am I right in thinking, that if it is disconnected the ecu will think the engine is cold all the time? therefor will give you a richer mixture.Please give me your thoughts. Thanks Keith. Sti v5
Old 24 April 2002, 04:15 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

One of you technical people must know! Please help my search for a rich running Sti.
Old 24 April 2002, 04:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a coolant temperature sensor which if duff can give idle problems.

The timing is based on mass air flow, RPM and during closed loop operation corrections based on the lambda sensor. It may also have a small input from the MAP sensor, but probably very little. There may be some other factors - undoubtedly so at idle which is complex.

STis already run quite a lot of (arguably too much) advance for UK fuels. A remap is a safer method rather than a global adjustment to timing - you will want more here, less there etc. You would also benefit from changing your boost and fuelling possibly more than advancing your ignition even more?

With regards to fuelling why do you want it even richer?

[Edited by john banks - 4/24/2002 4:27:45 PM]
Old 25 April 2002, 02:41 PM
Big_Snapper
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your reply John,
Why richer, Well to be honest just a silly search for flameouts, very childish i know but what fun!
I am running a revolution downpipe and system no cats,optimax with millers, and a forge vta dump valve but still no bloody flames!
Yes the car does get suitably hot. I just notice in the mornings driving the car slowly while it is cold I get more pops from the exhaust, as soon as the car gets hot and i give it some stick nothing such a quiet little lamb! How borring.
Any way someone out there must have the answer to my prayers, lets just hope they read this.
Keith.