Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 03:01 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone.
Could do with a bit of advice.
I have a 93WRX, started it up thismorning from cold and could hear a tapping sound coming from somewhere around the driver side of the engine, sounded like the valve/cam area.
Not rely heard it before, and it was pretty noticable, more so when blipping the throttle.
Once warm it had totaly gone.

I dont think it was piston slap as I have heart this before, isnt it more of a hollow knocking noise?

Could it be something simple like possibly a slight leak in the exhaist joint off the head? I dont realy know.

Thanks in advance, Rob.
Old 06 May 2002, 08:52 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Dan.
I only changed the oil about 6 weeks ago though, put silkolene in it too as reccomended. Not sure what to do, I will see if it does it again in the morning.
Thanks, Rob.
Old 07 May 2002, 06:27 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I had similar on a my00 - it was cam belt tensioner. Only did it for first 1 or 2 minutes on cold mornings. Not sure if earlier cars suffer the same?

Richard
Old 07 May 2002, 09:30 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Rob

I get the same thing with mine, MY95 WRX. I am guessing it is the hydraulic valve lifters, and have been told that an engine flush type oil additive put in before an oil change may cure it, however haven't tried it.

I've noticed mine is worse the morning after a motorway journey or a good thrashing, even though I let it cool down for a few minutes before switching off. It's as if the oil is thinner because it is hotter and it drains back more. I can hear a chatter when it starts up then after a couple of seconds it goes a lot quieter. I still get a little tap for a couple of minutes though, then it goes away.

I'm going to book my car in to have it looked at, as I need a couple of other things sorting out and get an oil change and filter done at the same time, so they can also check this out. If I find out what it is then I'll let you know.

Regards from another Warrington scoobynetter.

Ken

Old 07 May 2002, 09:45 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm, my 93WRX also sounds a bit clattery in the morning but its still there when warm (but not as lond). I notice it when pulling away at low revs, it sort of sounds like a knocking. Haven't a clue what it is.

Keep us posted Rob,

Tony.
Old 07 May 2002, 01:08 PM
rob oneill
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well, I startrd up this morning, and everything was fine, so im pretty chuffed now.
Sounds like you were all right about the lifters, probably one of them sticking or something.
Funny you should say that about the long journeys Ken, as the day before yesterday I had done a very long journey. Coincidence? or not?
What colour is your WRX? I will look out for you.
Cheers everyone, much appreciated
Old 07 May 2002, 04:05 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Rob

My car is booked in to be looked at next Monday so maybe I'll find out what it is, and whether or not it needs money chucking at it !!

As for the theory, I used to have a Primera GT and had the same thing with that. The dealers looked at it for me and the response was 'they all do that sir', told me it was the timing chain tensioner as it was hydraulic. The oil light would stay on for a couple of seconds after starting as well. My brother has it now and it is still exactly the same, 30,000 miles on.

I'd be interested to find out the route the oil takes once it leaves the pump. Does the crank get oil before the oil pressure switch etc.

My car is silver with MY00 wheels and spoiler.

Ken
Old 05 June 2002, 08:34 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Rob, I think you have hydrolic lifters on your year scoob. When did you last change your oil? Might be worth changing that before anything else.

Dan

[Edited by Danny Fisher - 5/6/2002 8:35:07 PM]