Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Classic running gear etc transplanted into a newage?

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2013, 06:23 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Classic running gear etc transplanted into a newage?

I've seen examples of newage engines and gearboxes fitted into GC8 shells, not that I've read projects of that nature in detail.

Now, have you ever heard of it being successfully done the other way around?

My donor car, a '99 WRX Automatic Wagon. I need auto due to disability. I don't like wagon's and crave a sonic blue / reddish blue / WR Blue saloon.

I'm looking into reshelling into a blue saloon, preferably 4 door, but 2 door classic IF a blue one comes up for the right money.

Obviously IF my classic running gear / engine / loom won't fit reasonably straight forwardly in to a newage shell then I shall stop looking at blue blobs.
Old 07 March 2013, 07:24 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I would immagine it can be done yes, engine and boxes are interchangeable between all years so can't see anything stopping you doing a reversal, it would be costly tho if your not able to do it all yourself, why not just buy a newage car and put an auto box on it rather than a full swap? I'm not sure if the auto box runs through the ecu on the car tho, so that may be a stumbling point I'm sure somebody would know but if it has its own seperate ecu then I can't see it being that much of a problem, people get all kinds of engines in to quite a variety of cars, so I'm sure putting an auto box in to a newage can be done somehow, have you looked for a newage wrx auto?
Old 07 March 2013, 09:02 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
have you looked for a newage wrx auto?
Rarer than rocking horse poo

I'm pretty sure the newage 2003/5 won't gel with an auto box, I believe there is a seperate TCU but that it talks to the ECU in some way that the manual variant ECU won't. I'm happy to be told otherwise by someone in the know. In which case it would be an idea, although it's the loom differences that may prove too complicated to overcome plus the auto box has an oil cooler built in to the rad etc, then there's pedal box / etc to think about.

Last edited by riiidaa; 07 March 2013 at 09:04 PM.