Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

wagon diffs diferent from salloons?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2013, 06:24 PM
Triflelover
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wagon diffs diferent from salloons?

hello all recently bought myself another scoob (its a yr 99 uk classic)after 5 yrs away god ive missed it even the repairing them lolare the rear diffs the same on a wagon of same yr as a saloon? ive searched everywhere on here but cant find the answer before emptying my wallet

Last edited by Triflelover; 30 March 2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 30 March 2013, 06:53 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes mate they are

What one you after?
Old 30 March 2013, 06:59 PM
Triflelover
Scooby Regular

cheers for the quick reply mate passenger side is there a difference in sides then ? the reason I ask is ive just took the rear diff off as previous owner put a wrx diff in by error and the driveshaft popped out on this side and rounded of the tip but both shafts look the same did he put the wrong shaft on aswell which is why it popped back out ?
Old 30 March 2013, 07:15 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure if the wrx diff is the same as a uk car rear diff tbh, there are a few different types, r160, r180, 4.444, 3.54, 3.9 etc you would have to make sure the rear diff ratio matches to your gearbox, the r160 rear diff has smaller hubs and shafts where as the r180 has larger shafts and hubs, also bigger rear brakes.

If its standard car I beleive it should be a r160 but I'm not 100% sure I'm correct as I've never owned a classic

Last edited by Infected by sti; 30 March 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01 April 2013, 10:56 AM
Triflelover
Scooby Regular

Cheers got another question now will a 96/97uk diff and shafts fit into a 99 uk need to verify this before traveling 100 to get the bits please please help me lol
Old 01 April 2013, 11:15 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

It will all fit, you can get anything to fit the car from a classic impreza running gear right through to the newage, they can all be swapped about, its just a question of if the ratios will match your gear box, if its 100% a uk car they are coming from and is going back on a uk car then yes they will fit and should be the same ratio, there are plenty of parts on here in the breaking section, where I'm sure you will find whatever it is you want

Do you know what rear diff is on yours yet? Why are you changing it again? Is it because the shaft popped out? Have you looked at the reason why? It could be something trivial and end up saving you from spending out on a new rear diff, your car and your money just a thought
Old 01 April 2013, 11:29 AM
Triflelover
Scooby Regular

The original person thinks the diff he put on was a wrx one so needs to be changed back to UK the car was pulling to the side on acceleration but im myself wondering if this was due ti the driveshaft not being in right and popping out the shaft needs to be changed as the tip the splints has been worn smooth upto the circlip
Old 01 April 2013, 11:47 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Well if the driveshaft was loose I would imagine it to make a noise where it is not sat correctly in to the diff or the hub, as if the splines are not aligned the shaft will be turning inside the housing which is what will cause the wear to the splines as the shaft will still be turning. When you say the shaft pops out, do you literally mean it comes out of the diff housing completely? Or is it just floating about in the diff? For it to wear down its not sitting flush and running true which will cause the shaft to wear but also may have damaged the diff its self, have you drained the oil out of the diff to see if you have any metal filings in amongst it?

You could try a different shaft to see if it solves it or even rotate the opposite shaft to the other side that you have a problem with to see if that one also floats about, as if its only the one shaft that's having a problem It may be the end of the shaft it's self, but if the other shaft does the same then you can start to look towards the diff its self as possible culprit, any knocks bangs or strange noises coming from it? Get the car on axle stands up off the ground and put it in gear and listen to the diff for any grumbles or unwanted noises.
Old 01 April 2013, 04:11 PM
Triflelover
Scooby Regular

its all off now the diff does have some filings in it from the shaft so i think its prob best to change it anyway just need to be sure the shafts are ok from a 97 i read somewhere that the abs is on different places from a certain date but im doing this from my phone and searching is not easy thatnks for all the replies so far theyve been a real help

Last edited by Triflelover; 01 April 2013 at 04:12 PM.