My thoughts on Ecutek Tek 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 09:55 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Hi,
I've just ordered the Tek 1 upgrade from Ecutek for my MY00 turbo, fingers crossed it'll be delivered on Monday then it'll be I found they were very helpful and knowledgeable when I called them - just waiting for it to get here now.

I'll post my findings on Monday

Richard
Old 27 May 2002, 10:41 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Smile

It's arrived! Gonna be fitting it tonite then I'll post my finding

Richard
Old 28 May 2002, 09:38 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Cool

Right – I fitted the Tek 1 ECU last nite, it takes about 10 minutes to unclip the trim, remove the blanking plate and unbolt and unplug the old ECU and replace it with the new one. Now for the testing

My car is a MY00, the only modification being a Magnex back box, originally it had the green sticker 802 ECU and as normal I was using Optimax.

After letting the car warm back up it was time to give it some wellie On the way home from work with the 802 ECU I held the car at 2600 revs in third and then floored it between two particular road signs to see what speed it was doing by the second – with the standard ECU it was 70mph. Now I went back to the same stretch of road to see what it would do with Tek 1. The car seemed to pull earlier and harder and hit just under 80 Not exactly scientific but there was definitely an improvement performance

After that I went for a bit of a thrash to get some subjective opinions of the different ECU’s. The Tek 1 definitely pulls smoother when it comes on boost – with the old 802 ECU it used to accelerate in steps until it came on full boost (weird description but if you’ve got one you’ll know what I mean). Whilst the Tek 1 is not 100% (it’s about 99% ) it’s a massive improvement. Probably the thing I noticed the most was the extra punch it’s got at the top end of the rev range – holding it at 4k in third then nailing it makes it charge forward like a mad thing and the power doesn’t seem to tail off so fast at the top of the rev range. Power delivery after gear changes is much better as well. In the end the only reason I went home is because my Mintex 1155 pads couldn’t take it any more

This morning starting from cold the “characteristic” surging was much less evident and on the motorway acceleration from 70 was way smoother.

I’d recommend the Tek 1 ECU to anyone with the green sticker 802 ECU without a doubt – £150 well spent

Richard (Usual thing about no connections just a chuffed customer )

PS if anyone wants to compare my car to theirs in the Rugby area let me know.
Old 30 May 2002, 07:46 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Sounds good. I am sure that there are other posts explaining this (search does not work), but does the replacement ECU change the boost level and if so how ? What else does it do to give the additional or altered power ?

Ta,

MKC
Old 30 May 2002, 08:47 PM
Razor2001
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi,

What is an ECUtek and where do you get in from ? Is it similar to a APS Unichip.....just plug and play ??

Cheers,
Ray
Old 30 May 2002, 10:14 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Ray, all of the answers to any questions are here:
ecutek

ps I've got the tek2 and think it's great
Matt
Old 31 May 2002, 09:08 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi
It's a replacement, remapped Subaru ECU. Have a look at the web site for all the info. Tek 1 is £150 well spent, only thing is should I have gone for the Tek 2 Can't argue for £150 tho, definitly faster, definintely smoother Boost on Tek 1 is standard, Tek 2 is increased.

Richard