Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

New Exedey clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2014, 10:47 AM
Tom WRX RA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exedey clutch slipping

Put my classic wrx ra into the garage after my exedey pink box started to slip. Garage fitted new pink box exedey, however has continued to slip and won't hold boost at all.

Garage advised could be the lightened and balanced fly wheel so they fitted an OE fly wheel and is still slipping.

Any one experienced this before with a new clutch or have any insight as to what the problem may be?
Old 16 January 2014, 10:50 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom WRX RA
Put my classic wrx ra into the garage after my exedey pink box started to slip. Garage fitted new pink box exedey, however has continued to slip and won't hold boost at all.

Garage advised could be the lightened and balanced fly wheel so they fitted an OE fly wheel and is still slipping.

Any one experienced this before with a new clutch or have any insight as to what the problem may be?

Sounds like the classic symptoms of a Chinese copy " Pink Box Exedy" The internet is rife with them and we haven't used anything Exedy in years for that reason.

Ask for your money back from whoever supplied it and buy a proper clutch.

The slipping is nothing to do with the flywheel no matter what weight.

David APi
Old 16 January 2014, 11:18 AM
Tom WRX RA
Scooby Regular

The clutch was supplied by eurocar parts, maybe could be a bad batch or something but I was wondering if any other part of the powertrain other than the clutch could be responsible for the slipping?
Old 16 January 2014, 03:48 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Never had any such issues with any of ours and we sell loads (authorised Exedy UK dealers). Those clutches are good for 400bhp.

Exedy are the most popular clutches on Subaru's and are suppliers to Subaru themselves so quality is second to none.

Speak to supplier to resolve. The garage fitting the clutch should know what's up, it's their job to know and that's what you pay them for.

What's the part number?
Old 17 January 2014, 09:27 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

firstly is the clutch pedal adjusted correctly and the slave/master cylinders working as they should - bled through with fresh fluid and no air????

what exactly are the symptoms, how/when did it occur or have you bought the car like this??
could actually be a transmission issue and not actually clutch slip
Old 23 January 2014, 02:42 PM
Tom WRX RA
Scooby Regular

I had an uprated Exedey and lightened fly wheel (supplied by Aztec) fitted after my car was mapped (around 320 bhp) some time ago and the standard clutch started to slip. Clutch pedal always had a fair bit of free play in it before starting to disengage.

Clutch worked fine for about a year, I swapped my gearbox for a 5 speed from a bug due to my second gear syncro going in the RA box. When the box was off I had the cluch off to check it and it was fine, refitted all was good, car was rolling road mapped about a month after box change and came back a healthy 325 BHP and 300 torques.

about 2 months later put my foot down and clutch slipped badly all of a sudden. Put it into garage where old exedey was took off and inspected and mechanic reported the cluch pressure plate bolts where slightly lose. The actual condition of the clutch was not too bad, quite little wear upon it.

So I imagined that When I swapped the box I had not tightened the cover bolts up enough and they had come lose. So mechanic fitted new Exedey, and does not hold boost and slips. He thought it was the fly wheel so swapped to an OE one, fitted a new Exedey and the problem was exactly the same.

Ive just ordered a Helix clutch and am going to try that. Goes into gear fine, pedal feel is normal only thing is the slipping. Surley because its a hydraulic clutch a lack of bleeding would not be an issue? (although it has been bled)

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 23 January 2014, 02:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

If the issue is with 3 different clutches, the clutch is almost certainly not the problem.

What's the part number and price on the Eurocarparts supplied clutch that you're having trouble with? Their website doesn't use Exedy part numbers or make it clear what's uprated and what's not.
Old 23 January 2014, 03:44 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Have you checked all the drive shafts are pushed all the way in, front & rears?
Old 23 January 2014, 07:18 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to chuck this into the pot. Classic RA low ratio box on mine too with a pink exedy clutch kit.
It smelt of burning when driving in traffic and stunk when under hard acceleration but no slipping. In less that 2k miles it began to feel really spongy and lost its "feel" there Was always a very slight tapping noise when the clutch was engaged. fifth gear went awol and I changed the box for a standard sti item.
On inspection the clutch and flywheel looked like they had done a million miles, could it be a worn input shaft on the box? Anyways I was skint and fitted the worn clutch and flywheel to the replacement box.
No clutch problems whatsoever. Maybe a problem with the odd ball RA boxes?
Old 23 January 2014, 09:11 PM
Tom WRX RA
Scooby Regular

If the issue is with 3 different clutches, the clutch is almost certainly not the problem.
The first pink box supplied by yourselves was fine until it started to slip, and I suspect this was due to loose pressure plate bollts. I'm hoping the slippage is down to some sort of fault with the Exedey's Europarts supplied, -they're just not up to the torque.

What's the part number and price on the Eurocarparts supplied clutch that you're having trouble with? Their website doesn't use Exedy part numbers or make it clear what's uprated and what's not.
Im not sure of the part numbers, as they were supplied and fitted by the garage. They are definatley exedey pinks's and they were about £230 I think.

Have you checked all the drive shafts are pushed all the way in, front & rears?
Yeah, im sure the driveshafts are all fully in

Maybe a problem with the odd ball RA boxes?
The RA box was okay, problem only appeared on the newer 5 speed box.
Old 24 January 2014, 08:52 AM
jimbob9875
Scooby Regular

Are there any other noises ect when you are loosing acceleration.

the reason i ask is i had a customer with a similar problem a different garage had fitted 2 new clutches and it was still "slipping".

It tuned out the splines on the driveshaft to c.v joint had spun. The shaft kept locked until you put pressure on the joint (boost came on) then the shaft span in the joint giving the feeling of a slipping clutch

Has your garage checked for spline damage to all of the driveshafts?
Old 17 February 2014, 06:01 AM
Tyre-fitter
Scooby Regular

Sounds the same as mine,it doesnt slip in low gears only in 4,,5,,6 BUT their is no smell of burning what so ever.