Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Play in front driveshafts bug WRX

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2014, 01:06 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play in front driveshafts bug WRX

My last post was about the rear diff (supposedly) and how it is 'dragging', feels like something is about to go bang whenever it happens
In summary, juddering and mechanical scraping can be felt during town driving and sometimes I can hear scraping too (over the exhaust)! haha I've changed the rear diff oil which hasn't helped.

Anyway I'm just going to get hold of a rear diff from Ebay and see if the problem persists.

Now today I had the car up on the lift and noticed quite a bit of oil was leaking from the front driveshafts onto the underside of the front diff and dripping off. This worried me a little.. Basically both of the drive shaft seals have pulled out and look all munched up, so I've ordered some OE replacements from GGR

Unfortunately I also found that the driveshafts have quite a lot of play, and can easily be moved around by hand. Just in case - this isn't a normal WRX thing is it? The car was on coilovers when I bought it and I'm beginning to wonder if this stint of abuse lead to the driveshafts being put under a lot of strain is this likely? Or do I need a new front diff/gearbox too..? lol

What's my next step? Experience would be brilliant right now!

Thanks