Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

WRX ECU confusion, non-existent camshaft sensors generating error codes

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2024, 08:37 AM
gardner99
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy WRX ECU confusion, non-existent camshaft sensors generating error codes

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me as I am very confused about this.

I have bought a 2005 WRX with a 2002 ADM JE205 engine installed ( to race ).
The ECU is I think for "an STi" - this is what I have been told. It has "F3" on the sticker on the back.

The STi ECU was running "OK", however it had the codes p0390 and p0365 ( camshaft position sensors B circuit bank 1 & 2 )

We were told that if we got the ECU flashed to be a 2005 WRX ECU, then those codes would clear.

I have checked this in the service manuals: the WRX2005 doesn't have an engine that has those sensors at all, there is just one sensor at the front only.

I have flashed the ECU with a couple of WRX 2005 ECU ROMs that I have found online.

The flashes went well and were confirmed as being successful using ECU Flash and the tactrix ODBII dongle. I spent the money and bought a genuine one.

The same errors now still show.I have cleared the fault codes and with an engine restart they show again

So, obviously I am misunderstanding something here as I am a novice at this, but I thought that considering that the WRX 2005 doesn't have those sensors, then that error code wouldn't show?!

Any pointers would be helping me out greatly.

Thanks,
Old 25 June 2024, 09:02 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i wouldn't flash a WRX file onto an STI ecu - you can just read the stock STI file off it and remove the codes you don't need - though it would be worth while getting the ECU tuned to actually match the setup you have as removing the AVCS will require other changes in the tune like timing and fuel target etc. Do you have a picture of the ECU?
Old 25 June 2024, 09:10 AM
gardner99
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
i wouldn't flash a WRX file onto an STI ecu - you can just read the stock STI file off it and remove the codes you don't need - though it would be worth while getting the ECU tuned to actually match the setup you have as removing the AVCS will require other changes in the tune like timing and fuel target etc. Do you have a picture of the ECU?
yes I do!

Old 25 June 2024, 09:18 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

that's a 2005 AUDM WRX ecu i think so it will be looking for AVCS heads that your 2002 engine doesn't have. all you have to do is turn off the codes for AVCS or use carberry rom but you'll still have to tune it as the map will be setup for timing/fuel based on working and present AVCS.
Old 25 June 2024, 09:22 AM
gardner99
Scooby Newbie

thanks so much!
I have spent hours and hours on this. Can I ask how you know what the ECU is?

Also, can you link to somewhere which tells me how to turn off the AVCS code?
Old 25 June 2024, 09:24 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

yes easy enough when you have a list of the ECUtypes to look up but a lot of them are listed in romraider logger as well under the last 5 digits of the long code on the case so in this ECU its "AJ850". As for how to do things in the rom it's all detailed on the romraider forum https://www.romraider.com/forum/
Old 25 June 2024, 09:40 AM
gardner99
Scooby Newbie

thanks again . Last thing. Turns out the engine harness is for an STI, does this make a huge difference?
Old 25 June 2024, 09:50 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

shouldn't do as the ECU harness would match it you'll just have a few extra plugs you aren't using.
The following users liked this post: