Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Ideas on how to mount . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2007, 10:49 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Ideas on how to mount . . . . .

. . . . . the MENCAP Classic Rally Plaque so they are roughly the same on all our cars.

This is my rough idea for a mounting plate that bolts behind a standard number plate on a standard front bumper. This may work for other bumpers, anyone else got any ideas/designs?

Lay the number plate & plaque on a sheet of ally & draw round. That's the easy bit.

Either cut out the full width or the cut down version (to save weight ) This may also need to be cut narrower to fit the flat section on the bumper better.
Then fix the plaque to the plate at each corner & then bolt the whole thing to the car with the number plate on top.

What do you reckon? I will try & do a prototype over the weekend to see if it will work.

We will need up to 8 of these if the design passes the ISO 12321 & BS kite mark

& is

Mark

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 06 April 2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 30 March 2007, 10:51 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

dont think we got much ally at work but dont mind cutting for you if needed... much easier on a guilly....
Old 30 March 2007, 10:56 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
dont think we got much ally at work but dont mind cutting for you if needed... much easier on a guilly....
Cheers Steve.

I have a sheet of ally & didn't fancy jig sawing 8 shapes out. Would have ended up with a bad case of "white finger". Does it matter how thick it is?

Mark
Old 31 March 2007, 08:58 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Thought you were after sexual advice from the title mark
Old 31 March 2007, 10:09 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Mark, this is exactly what I had in mind!

How flexible is the ally? Just wondering if it will scratch the bumper behind it at all when it is getting buffeted in the wind.
Old 31 March 2007, 11:10 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by *Nate*
Thought you were after sexual advice from the title mark
These days I tend to just take a run up & hope for the best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Nice one Mark, this is exactly what I had in mind!

How flexible is the ally? Just wondering if it will scratch the bumper behind it at all when it is getting buffeted in the wind.
Well I have made a prototype "cut down version" & I think it will work with a couple of tweaks which I will try later.

It doesn't look quite right left as a flat sheet because just past the end of the number plate the bumper starts to curve back & the end of the plaque ends up with a big gap behind it.
I think it needs bending along the yellow dotted line so the plaque bit lays more parallel to the bumper. This will also help to lessen any buffeting as the air will glance off it at an angle instead of head on.

Then a strip of thick draught proofing foam on the back of the plate will cushion it & stop it bashing against the paintwork.

I may also use an extra bolt (yellow dot) to brace the ally sheet to the number plate which will leave less unsupported ally to flap about. I need a new front plate soon anyway so hacking the old one about a bit isn't a problem.

Mark

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 06 April 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: To add picture of straight mounting plate.
Old 01 April 2007, 11:10 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Instead of an extra bolt I wonder if that heavy duty self adhesive velcro would do the job.
Old 01 April 2007, 10:29 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Instead of an extra bolt I wonder if that heavy duty self adhesive velcro would do the job.
Using that velcro crossed my mind but in the end I worked a way round it using my lower mesh grill, a heavy duty cable tie & some closed cell foam strip.

Contoured & sexy

The cable tie goes from the bottom left corner of the plaque to the grill fastened behind the bolt & two foam strips cushion the bottom & side edges where they would touch.

Mark

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 06 April 2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01 April 2007, 10:57 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Looks fantastic Mark!

Just what I had in mind.
Old 01 April 2007, 11:07 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Looks fantastic Mark!

Just what I had in mind.
Cheers Fozz it took a while to make. Cutting out the shape was tricky with a jigsaw & then smoothing the cut edges off took some time. Then I made up a template to show where the holes had to go. It was the trying it on the car then taking it off to alter it a bit that took up the most time.

I will take it for a shake down run tomorrow & see how it handles some wind turbulence. Then I can give it a speed rating.

Mark
Old 01 April 2007, 11:18 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job Mark
Old 01 April 2007, 11:32 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good Mark, no end of uses for your foam strips
Old 02 April 2007, 06:19 AM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Loving that
Old 02 April 2007, 07:00 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
Cheers Steve.

I have a sheet of ally & didn't fancy jig sawing 8 shapes out. Would have ended up with a bad case of "white finger". Does it matter how thick it is?

Mark

If cut on the guilly we can only cut up to 3mm, but seeing you design i can (with the dimensions of course) put it onto the plasma and cut the very same shape up to 6mm+... more than you will need im sure...

we used to have some old 1mm ally laying in the lock up so im told so will check shortly...
Old 02 April 2007, 07:28 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
If cut on the guilly we can only cut up to 3mm, but seeing you design i can (with the dimensions of course) put it onto the plasma and cut the very same shape up to 6mm+... more than you will need im sure...

we used to have some old 1mm ally laying in the lock up so im told so will check shortly...
Just measured my sheet and it's 2mm. If you can do this I can bring the sheet & my template to the Posers if you like. Would love to see how you cut a curve with the guilly. With the jig saw I had to drill a hole at each corner to get the blade in at the right angle then it was easy enough apart from trying to keep the line from weaving around too much.

Mark
Old 03 April 2007, 10:23 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

thats what the computer operated plasma is for... cutting awkward shapes.. You can cut a curve on the guilly but not with a straight edge after it... If you bring the template i will put all the details into the computer and cut a sample outta 1mm so you can see. then its easy to rattle off a few...
Old 03 April 2007, 08:27 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Team ESC Working together again
Old 03 April 2007, 08:50 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Its a fantastic idea and as Tiny has already said, its great to see everyone pulling together

However, I've got one observation. You'll have to be careful about the retaining bolts on the front of the mount and the sharpness of edge of the mount itself. If either are sharp enough to cause injury you COULD be liable for prosecution (dangerous condition) if stopped by Traffic Officers. As its a charitable day you'd have to be pretty unlucky to be pulled up. But heaven forbid someone steps out in front of the car and is injured by the plaque, they may throw the book at you.

Sorry to pish on your strawberries, but it should be a consideration.
Old 03 April 2007, 08:54 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

I did think about the sharp edges also, i could round all the edges of the mounting plate no problem and maybe rivet them from the back so there will just be a little bubble on the front, still think the edges of the plate itself will be the issue. Maybe a slightly bigger mount with rounded edges...
Old 04 April 2007, 11:56 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ed I can see your concerns & appreciate your advice. I tried to make it as pedestrian friendly as possible.The edges after being cut out were treated with a flap wheel (sandpaper squares on a rotating drum) & are smooth & rounded. So no sharper really than the number plate itself.

It's not clear in the picture but the retaining bolts on the front of the mount are fitted with 10mm dome nuts holding the plaque on so although they look like they stick out a little they are well rounded.

I am trying to think of other road going signs/plates that are in common use that pass as being safe so we can compare & see how close ours would be.

Taxi plates (usually mounted flat)
Driving school signs
Hazchem signs

My Scott Lowe bottom lip is a bit of a shin cruncher as well.

Mark
Old 05 April 2007, 09:50 AM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adidas
If either are sharp enough to cause injury you COULD be liable for prosecution (dangerous condition) if stopped by Traffic Officers.
See, another Big Nose at heart (internal joke, not physical reference).

Good point well made though.

As an alternative slightly different lower method of mounting, how about this.

That way the top of the plate can be bent backwards a little so it is more contoured at the top and i also think rivets to fix the plate to the alluminium mount will also minimise sharp edges etc.

In my experience, Dangerous Condition based on items or articles likely to cause injury etc can be subjective. If all can be done to minimise likely injury, then this has to be better.

If you wanted to get full approval and seek advice, may be worth popping into the local Vehicle Inspecorate for views ? Depends how heavy you want your hammer to be to crack the nut.

*** UPDATE - My pack has just arrived after sending the above post 2 minutes ago. I was under the impression the plaque was also made of aluminium for some reason, obvioulsy now realising it is plastic. Can the mount not be produced from thin perspex or similar material so it will not be as ridgid ? That way the whole of the assembly, including number plate will be made of plastic. Plus, it is a lot easier to cut and work with etc. ***

Steve

Last edited by Tissy; 05 April 2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05 April 2007, 05:59 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tissy
See, another Big Nose at heart (internal joke, not physical reference).

In my experience, Dangerous Condition based on items or articles likely to cause injury etc can be subjective. If all can be done to minimise likely injury, then this has to be better.
Agreed

Mark,

As I already mentioned above, it's the 'What if' scenario

Adidas (H & S qualified )
Old 05 April 2007, 07:24 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received my plaque today.

No. 27
Old 05 April 2007, 07:29 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

Received my plaque today.

No. 27
Does that mean you will always have to follow me as i am 26
Old 05 April 2007, 07:31 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Does that mean you will always have to follow me as i am 26
Only if you are in the "Evo" Wouldn't want to get in to trouble.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:06 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

As an alternative slightly different lower method of mounting, how about this.

That way the top of the plate can be bent backwards a little so it is more contoured at the top and i also think rivets to fix the plate to the alluminium mount will also minimise sharp edges etc.

Can the mount not be produced from thin perspex or similar material so it will not be as ridgid ? That way the whole of the assembly, including number plate will be made of plastic. Plus, it is a lot easier to cut and work with etc. ***

Steve
Mounting it lower would help tuck it in to the body work a bit more but no lower than your pic or you start covering the radiator.

The 2mm ally is pretty malleable & flexes/deforms with very little pressure. It's about half the thickness of the number plate perspex. It can easily be bent to follow the curve of the bumper as I have done below & if Steve has some 1mm lieing around then that would be even more pedestrian friendly.

Plastic or thin perspex is a good idea but not sure how that would work as it won't stay curved against the bumper unless stuck down at the free end.

Pop rivets to hold the plaque on sound good, but may need washers under the heads to stop them pulling through the plastic of the plaque. My dome nuts do look cool though.

Mark
Old 05 April 2007, 10:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

When does production start?

Seriously though, will you be able to make any more of these? Let me know what the cost is.

Might come in handy for Germany too.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:36 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

When does production start?

Seriously though, will you be able to make any more of these? Let me know what the cost is.

Might come in handy for Germany too.
Depending on Health & Safety issues it may not. Summers has pointed out another problem we may have for the classics as well.

Originally Posted by Summers
I can only see one problem with the mounting plates for the classics, as the front number plate sits back under the front bumper so the top of the MENCAP plaque will not fit under.
We may end up using the "One method fits all" & stick them on the dash like we did in 2005. Bit of Blue Tac & job done.

Mark
Old 05 April 2007, 10:40 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I might have to see if I can sort something else out then, I like the look of it being on the bumper.

I can't imagine 4 screws on a bit of flat, rounded edged ali the same shape as the bumper causing much more damage to a pedestrian than the rest of the car.

Is it not possible to buy plastic screws similar to those used to hold the number plate? Surely there can't be an issue with those.
Old 05 April 2007, 10:43 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC

I think that looks fantastic

Can I have the prototype if you aren't going to use it?

Quick Reply: Ideas on how to mount . . . . .