Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

TA Donny 2008

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2008, 06:44 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TA Donny 2008

I thought I'd start a new thread as the others were getting hard to follow.

First off, thanks to all that came a long to support. It really makes a difference to know your all there cheering!!

The result for me was a little less than I'd hoped for, but as with many of these things, it is a case of development of the car and me along with it.
The start of the day unnerved me a lot. Seeing the snow made me very anxious and i was very undecided what tyres to run.

I had heard several stories of some big smashes the day before when the pro guys ran a few practise sessions.
in addition there were several changes to the car that required a little time for me to get used to.
We have changed the front and rear anti roll bars. i have gone for a 27mm front & smaller 18mm on the rear.
But in addition the power steering had been disconnected. this sadly made the steering very heavy, even if it did provide some feel thought the wheel. This was changed for the practise session where we reconnected the power steering. i have to say in all honestly i want something in between. So we are currently looking at changing the pulley sizes to make the pump work a little less efficiently. I also have a sync issue with the gear box too (currently back at Zak's to be stripped and repaired).

Practise session
I ran the R888 (Semi slicks) for the practise and they felt good. I was starting to get a feel for the car and then the poxy boost pipe came off both the turbo and the throttle body (Visions of Brands Hatch coming back). We missed the remaining session sorting that.
My time for the first sessions was 1.25.06 which was good enough for 24th overall... definitely not what I'd hoped for.

Qualifying session
I felt more confident, had put the weather and other worries behind me and out i went... the car was in my opinion flying!!!! i was braking far too early and needing to get this down to improve my times. Sadly the car drinks way more fuel then i remember and i needed to come in for a splash and dash (As well as a quick check of the turbo pipe). Back out and I'm really feeling good. however i found a big issue with the front tyres screeching and struggling to give me full grip (the slip angle was very shallow). Due to this i felt i was having to run wider than wanted and possibly not get the power down as quick as i would have liked.
All that said, i made a massive improvement on practise and achieved 1.22.87 (just over 2 second improvement), i know there was more to come, but i guess thats motor racing.. So i finished up 21st in club and 18th in FI class.
TBH given the few issues i had, I'm not that disappointed (Sector times looked good and i lost my time and my qualifying space in one sector).

Clearly the series have moved forward and it's now up to me to move with it... I have plans a foot to help improve the situation and I'm quietly confident for Knock Hill that improvements can be made.

Full timing can be found here, along with sector times etc.
http://www.tsl-timing.com/attack/2008/81470.pdf
Old 07 April 2008, 07:16 PM
ABW
Former Sponsor

I hope you sort your few issues m8 . I'm sure we'll see a lot more from you in the next few events . Let me know if there's anything you need me to do
Old 07 April 2008, 07:40 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully you'll get those bits sorted mike. that'a a good improvement in times. 2sec is a fair bit to gain and sounds promising for kh. if i can be of any help, let me know.
Old 07 April 2008, 07:54 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ABW
I hope you sort your few issues m8 . I'm sure we'll see a lot more from you in the next few events . Let me know if there's anything you need me to do
Allready booked up with Andy Walsh for a days one to one circuit training in france!!!
Zak will be joining me, so the Mocom guy's are looking up and forward!
Old 07 April 2008, 07:56 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Interesting read Mike.

I'm sure you'll get the niggles sorted soon enough.

BTW the new paintwork does the job amazingly well, we could all spot it was you, when we were at turn one and you'd just come out of the Esses, right along the lenth of the pit straight.
Old 07 April 2008, 07:57 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BRI4N
Interesting read Mike.

I'm sure you'll get the niggles sorted soon enough.

BTW the new paintwork does the job amazingly well, we could all spot it was you, when we were at turn one and you'd just come out of the Esses, right along the lenth of the pit straight.
I'm glad the paint work is doing it's job...
Old 07 April 2008, 08:11 PM
ABW
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by essexboy30
I'm glad the paint work is doing it's job...
Old 07 April 2008, 08:15 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ABW
Need to pick up a little pot of colour from you darren, to touch a couple of knocks on the pink...
Old 07 April 2008, 08:19 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Good thread, car looked really well today too
Old 07 April 2008, 08:54 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great report Mike - and well done for the time improvements
Old 07 April 2008, 09:20 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Well done Mike

Yes mate car looked amazing , It was worth the non stop design e mails & me telling YVM What i really thought

Still we got there in the end

I Felt a very proud man yesterday & im sure all of the other ESC Guys who were there did as well , To see a club entered car going so well

One little grumble though ....

Please next time out ( Well maybe when we are all supporting next ) Can you make sure that the PA man is aware who your car is entered / sponsored by

All we heard yesterday was ...

It's car No 7 Mike payne in the Team ESC Car , He then go's onto say ESC Must be Team = Eletronic Speed Controller WTF ?? lol

Perhaps you can mention that your driving the ESSEX SCOOBY CREW backed Impreza

Best of luck @ KH On May 17/18th
Old 07 April 2008, 11:06 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

It was the first race of the series and the first after the winter break so I think you did a pretty damn good job to be honest, you car looked fast AND composed.

Bri4n and I walked all around the circuit and I have to say the paint job stands out a mile. It really achieves what I wanted it to, as crouched down looking through a viewfinder I can now spot you coming at 100mph+

You're doing well and we are all proud of you fella
Old 08 April 2008, 09:29 AM
spally
Scooby Regular

good read there Mike.

Onwards and upwards old chap, am really starting to like these TA events
Old 08 April 2008, 09:34 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

well done Mike, great report and we're all sure you'll get to where you want to be (or damn close) in good time...

sounds like you enjoyed yourself and as with all sports, thats a hugely important aspect....

onwards and upwards mate

dazza
Old 08 April 2008, 12:16 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiny01
Well done Mike

Yes mate car looked amazing , It was worth the non stop design e mails & me telling YVM What i really thought

Still we got there in the end

I Felt a very proud man yesterday & im sure all of the other ESC Guys who were there did as well , To see a club entered car going so well

One little grumble though ....

Please next time out ( Well maybe when we are all supporting next ) Can you make sure that the PA man is aware who your car is entered / sponsored by

All we heard yesterday was ...

It's car No 7 Mike payne in the Team ESC Car , He then go's onto say ESC Must be Team = Eletronic Speed Controller WTF ?? lol

Perhaps you can mention that your driving the ESSEX SCOOBY CREW backed Impreza

Best of luck @ KH On May 17/18th
Yeah sure consider it done!!!
Old 08 April 2008, 01:05 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

oh yeah the car stood out a mile
Old 08 April 2008, 01:42 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys...
Really means a lot having you all supporting me....

I was so impressed with the way the car looked too...
It really makes an impact, which is what i wanted....

I have agreed with the event organisers that for the Silverstone event June 1st, i can get you guys into the pits, so that we can get a club photo with the TA banners etc.
I also believe that the SIDC will be there, so maybe even try to get the car out to you guys and get a picture against the club stand...?
Old 08 April 2008, 01:45 PM
NickBes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by essexboy30
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys...
Really means a lot having you all supporting me....

I was so impressed with the way the car looked too...
It really makes an impact, which is what i wanted....

I have agreed with the event organisers that for the Silverstone event June 1st, i can get you guys into the pits, so that we can get a club photo with the TA banners etc.
I also believe that the SIDC will be there, so maybe even try to get the car out to you guys and get a picture against the club stand...?
Well done mate, the car looked really good on Sunday and we could see you coming a mile off