Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Autotest

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2012, 11:12 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autotest

Evening all

Last sunday i entered my first Autotest, after years of me dad telling me i should do one as this is where he cut his teeth in motorsport, he said you learn car control,driving skills in somthing that is peanuts to do and not to demanding on the car.

So we checked on his old car clubs web site (wickford auto club) and found they was running a mini championship starting last sunday at latchingdon,so as i have an MR2 sitting here doing nothing since we got back from the Scumrun i thought lets try this,so sent of my membership and entry fee which was £25 yes £25 that is £10 membership and £15 entry fee(so the next round will be just £15)

Unfortunatly it chucked it down all sat night but it made for some fun driving especialy as i've never driven RWD the tracks are very small and you don't really get out of 1st/2nd gear. but you have to remember the course which is laid out with cone's and some time you have to go through the cones and through them the right way otherwise you get a wrong test (fail in other words) and 10 sec penalty for every cone you tap, there was 8 different courses through out the day and you get 2 goes at each course so 16 tests all together and i think your scored on the average time from both attempts

If you've got a pristien car maybe not wise to have ago as they do get pretty dirty (as the old man spent 3 hrs cleaning his monday) but you don't need anything special to enter this as the FTD was set by MK1 1.1 polo estate but if your not to fussed or have a daily driver this is well worth a go, you can have up to 3 people to one car and it hasn't got to be road leagal aslong as you trailer it there, considering you can spend 30 quid for 30 mins on a indoor kart track this is so much more fun than that and cheaper, be warned its not really a spectators sport though as it looks fairly slow from the side lines but feels alot quicker when competing

Here's a link the WAC a very basic website but if you email chris his a very helpful guy and will point you in the right direction or pop along to see them at the cressing temple barn classic car show on the 15th july on the wickford auto club stand

http://www.wickfordautoclub.co.uk/

May see some of you there on the 29th
Old 29 June 2012, 08:56 AM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Sounds great fun Scott.
Old 29 June 2012, 12:44 PM
spannersmc
Scooby Regular

aswell as being into scoobs i also have a mk1 mx5 ,and iam doing a autosolo next sunday at northweild. my mx5 ownersclub has been invited by 7oaks car club £30 for the hole day of basting around a few cones on an airfield i did one similer in 2006 and it was supeb and as we know motorsport is not cheap . there is a car club in chemlsford if any you guys are intrested and they are all about cheap motorsport .
Old 29 June 2012, 06:03 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun.