Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Clutch advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2012, 12:12 AM
martome123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch advice Please

hi guys ,,, the time is soon....eeek ok 51 plate bugeye ,WRX, what is the best clutch to fit & is it usually plate only o is all 3 pieces best- cost to buy--any special tools req'd---- any special moves or short cuts or doo's or donts greatly appreciated....im ok with clutches on most cars just never put one in a scoob ,also been told they r like a conventional clutch but they pull instead of push...shame they aren't like the old vauxhall setup...lol....thank you all in advance..martome123
Old 22 July 2012, 08:37 AM
wongy
Scooby Regular

Hello mate i got sent this from another scooby member on removing the clutch

Hope this helps

clutch removel
First jack up the car, drain all of the oil out of the front diff and gearbox. There is a large sump plug underneath the front diff and a smaller plug along the bottom of the gearbox, looks like a small sump.

•Remove the top mount intercooler.
•Disconnect the battery.
•Remove starter motor.
•Remove clutch cylinder.

On the right hand side of the gearbox below where the clutch cylinder was, there should be a plastic/rubber cap, which you can’t really see. If it’s there, pop it off and now use, I think, a M6 or M8 bolt. In the hole that the cap was covering is a large pin with a threaded hole in the middle of it. Screw either the M6/M8 into this hole and pull the pin out.

There is a bit of metal that sticks out of the top of the gearbox that the clutch cylinder was touching, it has a square rubber gator round it. Pull this up as far as you can, this is the clutch fork and is dis-engaging from the clutch release bearing.

Remove the top dog bone engine mount and disconnect any electrical plugs that go down to the gear box, e.g DCCD.

Remove the exhaust heat shield (quite a few bolts) and remove the exhaust from turbo back.

Now remove the prop shaft, two bolts on the centre bearing and four that bolts the prop to the rear diff. The prop should now slide off the splines at the back of the gearbox. Careful, as there might be a trickle of oil come out.

Disconnect the gear linkage –two bolts- from the gearbox.

You now need to remove your front drive shafts, there is a roll pin that holds the inner CV joint to the stub shafts on the front diff. Rotate shaft round until you can get at these roll pins and knock them out.

Your drive shaft should now slide off the stub shaft. Move the shafts back out of the way.

Remove the gearbox cross member, approx. 6 bolts.

Now, with a trolley jack and a lump of wood, jack up the front of the engine on the crank pulley as far as you can so the whole engine and gearbox tilts back. This makes it easier for removing and re fitting of the gearbox.

Remove the remaining bolts around the outside of the bell housing around the gearbox.

Your gearbox should now be ready to come out. Please be aware it’s very heavy and will need three/four people to lift it if you’re doing this with the car on axle stands. Granted classic boxes are a little lighter than newage boxes.
You may need to jiggle the box a fair bit for it to slide out.

You’ll now see your clutch and flywheel. Place a large allen key socket or normal allen key between the splines of your flywheel and the top bolt hole for your starter motor so it jams the flywheel and stops it from turning.

Now remove the bolts for the clutch, which will then mean you can see the bolts for the flywheel.

Refit in reverse order of removal, remembering to torque all flywheel and clutch bolts.

Remember to use a clutch alignment tool when refitting the clutch.

Fit old or new clutch release bearing onto input shaft of gearbox and locate the legs of your clutch fork into the lugs of your release bearing. Put plenty of copper grease on these.

Refit large pin into the hole on the side of the bell housing through the hole in your clutch fork and remove the bolt. Again plenty of greece on the pin.

You should now be able to push the top of your clutch fork, which your clutch cylinder pushes against, to slide the release bearing backwards and forwards.

It is best to have someone to lean over the top of the engine to help guide the gearbox back home. Again, you may need to jiggle a bit.

Refitting is now reverse of removal. Lower the jack once the gearbox is bolted to the engine and fit cross member.

With your gearbox in place and bolted up tight, push the top of the clutch fork back towards the bulkhead of the car until you hear a click sound. This means the release bearing is now located onto the clutch.

Leave the fitting of the top-mount intercooler until last and once the car is on level ground, fill the gearbox and front diff with gear oil through the dipstick tube, remembering to fit the sump plugs first.

Your front diff and gearbox will fill at the same time.

Thats really all there is to it.
Old 22 July 2012, 11:25 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by martome123
hi guys ,,, the time is soon....eeek ok 51 plate bugeye ,WRX, what is the best clutch to fit & is it usually plate only o is all 3 pieces best- cost to buy--any special tools req'd---- any special moves or short cuts or doo's or donts greatly appreciated....im ok with clutches on most cars just never put one in a scoob ,also been told they r like a conventional clutch but they pull instead of push...shame they aren't like the old vauxhall setup...lol....thank you all in advance..martome123
You're not wrong there - I changed the clutch on my brother's old Mk1 Astra GTE - 1/2 job and done in a pub car park!!

Only thing to look out for is the lever fulcrum pin, the gearbox and engine won't split if it isn't taken out.

Can't go wrong with an Exeedy clutch or I put in a black diamond clutch in my old Classic
Old 23 July 2012, 05:35 AM
martome123
Scooby Regular

thank you verry much you guys... doesnt sound too bad ( I knew that they aren't no walk in the park )... The clutch pin M6/M8 bolt i would have been scratching my head a bit i recon . Did U say that was the release bearing pivot pin (is that the falcrum part ? ). Its just like a personalised repair texting service thanks again i Appreciate it... F-A-B marto
Old 25 July 2012, 09:43 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

also can have a look on youtube, the guys on wheelers had a bug similar to yours and the mechanic did a start to finish strip down and replace. Maybe a little help, but i can see the guys above have posted plenty of advice. Enjoy
Old 25 July 2012, 11:37 PM
martome123
Scooby Regular

Thank you phil WRX for replying... I hadn't thought of U tube and i'm always on there..... Funny that...talk about" overlook the obvius "... thanks martome
Old 26 July 2012, 09:18 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I recently had an Exedy Pink fitted to mine ........ along with my 6 speeder
Old 28 July 2012, 08:03 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Thank you phil WRX for replying... I hadn't thought of U tube and i'm always on there..... Funny that...talk about" overlook the obvius "... thanks martome
your welcome Martome. Got it slightly wrong actually called wheeler dealers. Actually made 2 episodes on the impreza. The vids ain't the best quality. Cheers Phil
Old 28 July 2012, 08:48 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

the bolt is definately m6 i did this job last week
Old 29 July 2012, 05:54 AM
martome123
Scooby Regular

thanks again guys for all your great info ....are any of you going to east beach ...today infact....sun29th july...cahher again martome