Notices

P1 mechanical work/respray Market Harborough area

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2014, 10:14 PM
slinkymuffins
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P1 mechanical work/respray Market Harborough area

Hi. I have a 2001 P1 with 85K on the clock. I'm undecided whether it would be economically viable to carry on with it or consider selling as is or for breaking.

The engine was replaced 3 years ago and I've only done about 20K since on that engine. But I think the clutch needs replacing, the 330mm AP racing front discs need replacing, the bonnet release catch isn't working (i've been getting away with a screwdriver on the spring for awhile but even that doesn't work so it may be the cable... - is that a big job?), the front bumper has some cracks as does the front splitter and the whole car needs a respray.

Can anyone recommend people in the Leicestershire/Northants/closeish to the area who can take on this kind of thing without going to crazy dealership costs, because if it would cost too much I simply wouldn't do it in the first place. I don't mind if one person/company can't do the whole thing as long as I can find someone for each job.

I would want to get it back to pristine condition with a view to selling it as the few examples I've seen on autotrader seem to be quite valuable.

Does anyone have an opinion on the approx value of the car as it is with the issues I've described? It's standard P1 in all respects with FSH.

Regards, and thanks for any input.

John
Old 21 April 2014, 08:30 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zen Performance at Finedon
Old 21 April 2014, 08:42 AM
mtb_ed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO and being a P1 owner it's not worth a lot if it "Needs" a respray! I'm afraid P1's are at the age of money pits. Fantastic cars but if neglected in anyway parts etc are becoming harder to find and if you have to go to the main stealers take a mortgage out. Someone recently rebuilt one, just to replace all the clips it cost him over 1k.

Respray £2-5k depending on scale and end result
Bumper and split maybe repairable if not source a v5-6 and splitter £3-400
Bonnet catch and cable look to budget £200
Ap brake disc's dependant on size but again £3-600

Used a place in Leicester who sprayed my bumper, splitter, wedges, surrounds and covers for £500. Amazing job too!

Last edited by mtb_ed; 21 April 2014 at 08:48 AM.