What's the difference - exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2014, 06:18 AM
I-am-Cos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the difference - exhausts

Hi,

I currently have a Japspeed turbo back decat fiitted to my 2005 blob WRX. (Bought from a group buy on here ). It's been on for about 4 years (?) & there is a crack around the 'flexi' joint & a crack to the mounting flange on downpipe where it bolts to the turbo.

I'm really happy with the exhaust (although would've liked it to last longer!), so was looking to get a direct replacement (saves on another map etc).

On Japspeed's website they have the following at £349 (I believe this is the same as I already have fitted):

http://www.japspeed.co.uk/subaru-imp...st-system.html

On our favourite auction site they have this for £189.99 (I appreciate the listing is confusing between whether its a classic or newage fitment, but if newage (& the picture looks identical to Japspeeds), its a bargain right?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/92-06-SUBA...item5d29b44c38

Basically, can anyone tell me if these exhausts are exactly the same item?
Old 30 July 2014, 08:16 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just drop the ebay seller a message. Could be that they have 1 listing for both classic and newage kits and you specify at checkout?

Have you contacted Japspeed to see if they will help at all? they may just sell you the sections that you require.

Last edited by FuZzBoM; 30 July 2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 30 July 2014, 09:30 AM
I-am-Cos
Scooby Regular

Hi FuZzBoM,

Thanks for reply.

I've emailed ebay seller for clarification & also found another seller who is using exactly the same photo as on Japspeeds website (& slightly cheaper at £179.99), so assuming they are the same system?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...2#ht_594wt_952

I'll wait until I receive a reply from fleabay before I contact Japspeed & then I'll see if they (Japspeed) can do anything with their prices as I've had good dealings with them before
Old 30 July 2014, 09:39 AM
staaf
Scooby Regular

If you take the complete turboback, it will fit both new ages as classic, but downpipe and mid pipe are different in length on their own, but together it is the same. backbox is interchangeable.
Old 30 July 2014, 10:01 AM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by I-am-Cos
Hi FuZzBoM,

Thanks for reply.

I've emailed ebay seller for clarification & also found another seller who is using exactly the same photo as on Japspeeds website (& slightly cheaper at £179.99), so assuming they are the same system?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...2#ht_594wt_952

I'll wait until I receive a reply from fleabay before I contact Japspeed & then I'll see if they (Japspeed) can do anything with their prices as I've had good dealings with them before
I think that Japseed are still running offers for their exhaust systems on this forum? I believe that ebay shop buy off Japspeed in bulk and then sell it. I know that is what 2fast2cool2 are doing for around the same price.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 30 July 2014, 12:34 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

This is very cheap indeed at £179.99,bargain of the century? Has anyone got the full system fitted to a classic? If so how does it sound and was fitting ok without and modifications?
Cheers Rich
Old 30 July 2014, 01:42 PM
I-am-Cos
Scooby Regular

staaf - thanks for that info. I knew there was some difference but wasn't sure exactly what it was

The ebay seller has responded & agreed with your comments.

Subaru Collector 555 - 2fast2cool2 currently have them at £199.99, so I've put in an offer

ossett2k2 - Sorry, haven't fiited one to a classic, but mine fitted to my 2005 blob with no problems. Some may say these are a little loud, but I think it sounds spot on (is a matter of personal taste & how well you get on with your neighbours though ). It just passes the noise test (with the bung fitted) on Bedford Autodrome at approx 97db.
Old 01 August 2014, 06:16 AM
I-am-Cos
Scooby Regular

Update:

I contacted 2fast2cool2 to see if they could give me a better deal than the seller uk-performance-uk @ £179.99, but it appears they can't. My offer of £169.99 was refused & their counter offer came in at £190.99, then when I refused that, another came back at £189.99

Not sure how all the offer & counter offer stuff works (maybe automated?), but offering me a greater cost than I can get it elsewhere seems madness & a complete waste of everyone's time (IMO)

I didn't contact Japspeed in the end as I'm sure they couldn't get near the eBay price as their's is nearly double (If they could give that much discount, I'd have thought they would list cheaper in the first place?)

So, I've bought the £179.99 one - I hope I won't live to regret it - always seems a risk when you pay a really good price for something. What's the old saying, "if it looks too good to be true..........

Once fitted (Which may take a good few weeks yet), I'll update on the quality & ease of fitment (although I wont be doing that myself )

Thanks for all your input
Old 01 August 2014, 08:22 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by I-am-Cos
their counter offer came in at £190.99, then when I refused that, another came back at £189.99
The spirit of free enterprise isn't dead then
Old 01 August 2014, 11:03 AM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

I bought a full decat exhaust system from Japspeed and it cost me £315 with a 10% discount for my 05' blob WRX. I think there were some issues with fitting but it sounds great. This was before I saw the other ebay sites selling them for less. The Japspeed gaskets were not the best so I had them replaced with genuine Subaru S/S gaskets. The only important gaskets that should be changed is the uppipe one connecting to the turbo as this is more prone to blowing due to the increased pressure running at this point of the exhaust system.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 01 August 2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05 August 2015, 11:53 PM
Ash Knight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
I bought a full decat exhaust system from Japspeed and it cost me £315 with a 10% discount for my 05' blob WRX. I think there were some issues with fitting but it sounds great. This was before I saw the other ebay sites selling them for less. The Japspeed gaskets were not the best so I had them replaced with genuine Subaru S/S gaskets. The only important gaskets that should be changed is the uppipe one connecting to the turbo as this is more prone to blowing due to the increased pressure running at this point of the exhaust system.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old thread I know but i'm looking in to getting the Japspeed decat turbo back system for my blobeye, but was wondering if it drones in the cabin? What's it like on the motorway? Thanks