Notices

Occasional fuel cutting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2014, 07:16 PM
Andy_Miller
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional fuel cutting issue

I've got a v2 impreza sti. Decat down pipe, 3" kakimoto exhaust, apexi induction kit and dv delete are the engine mods. Basically every so often it's hitting fuel cut which is getting annoying as it makes me **** myself everytime!! Lol.

I've still got the restrictor pill in and normally it holds fine at 1.1-1.2 bar. It seems to be if I put my foot down in say 3rd at 2500-3000 revs by about 4500 it's hitting fuel cut. If I put my foot down gradually it seems to be fine.

The car has never been mapped and is on 66k miles. It does need either plugs or a coil pack as when it cold it coughs and splutters under normal driving until it's warm. I'm thinking it might even be a lambda sensor.

Is this normal with these mods ?? Trying to avoid shelling out to have it mapped lol

Thanks in advance.
Old 09 August 2014, 07:25 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Is CEL light coming on? Have you done an ecu fault code check? Could be a few things. If it needs plugs why not change them??
Old 09 August 2014, 07:47 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_Miller

Is this normal with these mods ?? Trying to avoid shelling out to have it mapped lol

Thanks in advance.
Could end up shelling out for a new engine and then a map the way it is...
Any of the changes you have performed can upset the balance of the various different things the engine needs to run safely. The engine is cutting fuel for a reason and it can't be healthy to let it keep doing it. Of course it may be a sensor or other component causing your fuel cut but it really should be mapped.
Old 09 August 2014, 07:47 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

The boost cut your having is probably down to not having the car mapped for the mods your running, you can't map the standard ECU in your car so your options are an aftermarket ECU like an Apexi, Symtec etc or there's ESL.
Old 09 August 2014, 08:51 PM
Andy_Miller
Scooby Newbie

As far as I'm aware it's been running these mods for years. Going to change the plugs and get it dyno'd I think to see how the fueling is then take it from there
Old 09 August 2014, 11:20 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

You'll be wasting your money until you get the following done, get an uprated fuel pump and buy an ECU, you can buy them SH on here for around £300-£550 plus mapping on top of that or ESL personally value for money wise I would opt for ESL like I have but again it will have to mapped. If you don't fancy parting with the cash to get your car running spot with the mods you running then another option is to put it back to standard spec which would also cure your boost cutting issue.

Last edited by Peter Pan; 09 August 2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10 August 2014, 12:26 PM
Andy_Miller
Scooby Newbie

If I was going down the mapping route I'd by the bits and bobs and get Andy Forrest to do it. Unfortunately currently I don't have the spare income to get it done just now
Old 10 August 2014, 02:57 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy_Miller
If I was going down the mapping route I'd by the bits and bobs and get Andy Forrest to do it. Unfortunately currently I don't have the spare income to get it done just now
I had an ST185 Celica around 13 years ago with exactly the same mods as your car and I had exactly the same issues as your experiencing now, I was a lot less educated then about the importance of getting a car mapped correctly for the mods you run but unfortunately one thing leads to another and it does cost money, I've just spent quite a few quid on mine over the last 6 months or so. Get a standard air box and exhaust back on the car until you have the funds in place, you can pick them up cheap enough and it may just save you a lot of money in the long run if the engine or transmission does go pop the way it is at the mo.