Notices

Which parts for classic engine...

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2014, 07:07 PM
pezzer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which parts for classic engine...

I'm trying to put together an engine for a kit car, but I'm a bit baffled by what parts I need!

I have a bare engine out of a 98 wrx, and have got hold of a manifold/ecu/loom which were supposed to be from the same age, but turned out to be from an earlier car (93/94 at a guess - U8 ecu). I'm trying to figure out the following items:

Turbo - should this be a td05?
MAF - Which one - there seem to be several!
MAP - Again, which one - various types
Boost solenoid - Should this be the 2 or 3 port type for this ecu?
Evap purge - where does this go - the wiring diagram I've got seems to suggest on the manifold - but there's no connector for it - the pin isn't connected on the engine side of the loom (but is on the body side!)
Knock sensor - it's got a white 2 pin plug. The manifold loom has a white single pin plug in the right place, but from the wiring diagram, that looks like it's actually for power steering oil pressure!

Any help is appreciated
Old 11 August 2014, 08:33 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The evap purge valve doesn't really matter as you don't need to purge the evap just blank the system off, bin the pipework and vent the tank to atmosphere.

On a MY99-00 the Evap pruge valve is small and blue and bolted to the rear nearside/underside of the inlet manifold.

Your project sounds like a bit of a nightmare... I know it's too late now but ideally you need to strip a car to ensure you have all the right compatible parts.

You need to be absolutely sure you have the right loom and ECU that will determine your MAF type.