Removing rear top mounts - Classic

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2014, 10:12 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing rear top mounts - Classic

Hi guys,

Can someone give me some tips on removing rear top mounts on a classic? I know it's a simple job but just struggling to find a way to do it at home.

I have spring compressors and have no issues getting the damper units off the car, but even with the deepest offset spanner I could find I still can't get on the top nut properly. (of course I'm using a spanner so I have access to the top with an allen socket)

Can anyone recommend me a tool that will work? Is it easier to crack the nut with the shocks still on the car or something? Once I work out how to get the top nuts off the rest is easy! Hence something I want to do myself rather than get the garage to.
Old 20 August 2014, 11:37 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

I don't bother compressing spring on removal. It gives a wee pop on release (std height springs) just keep face away from end. Grab hold off spring and use socket on nut.

Although I later went on to cheat even more just by using impact gun.
Old 21 August 2014, 12:25 PM
328isport
Scooby Regular

Hi Euan,

OK thanks for that, so you use the pressure of the spring to hold the damper still and stop it from turning when undoing the top nut, I guess I could always compress the spring once I've loosed the nut off enough to undo easily without the help of the compressors.

What's your method for refitting? are you spinning the top nut on then releasing the spring to apply pressure/doing up with your socket again?

Just want to make sure I don't damage my damper rod in any way by twisting it or something
Old 21 August 2014, 05:04 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

pretty much that, do them up as much as possible by hand. I give them final torque up once fitted and car is back on ground, same time as top plate nuts. The top nut is pretty low something like 50 lbs/ft iirc.

I have specifically bought a very deep 17mm bellmouth spanner in past to do them but was waste of time as the replacements kyb come with 19mm nut.