Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default diy timing belt

It's a scary prospect but how difficult can it actually be
Old 23 September 2014, 01:04 PM
ross_jsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not done one on an Impreza (but plan to on mine) but have done them on many other cars. Nothing particularly scary about it, just take your time and rotate the engine a few times and make sure the marks still line up.
Old 23 September 2014, 01:21 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you've done a double overhead cam engine before which doesn't have any form of locking tools/mechanism, then you'll be fine. Its just a case of taking your time, double checking and rechecking.

I say double overhead cam, as the scoob is a quad cam and when removing the belt without any form of locking tool, the cams on the nearside bank will always spin round so will have to be reset and held in place whilst the new belt is fitted. Thats the only tricky bit, except fot the tight crank pulley bolt (3ft long breaker bar).

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 September 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 23 September 2014, 01:39 PM
staaf
Scooby Regular

it's not so bad, tak out the radiator, and you'll have plenty of space to see how everything is sitting.
First time it took me about 2.5 hours to finish it.
Old 23 September 2014, 02:01 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies ,It's staring to sound less scary ,I think I'm going to do this
Old 23 September 2014, 02:08 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 258 Likes on 224 Posts

Good luck, i would have ago but not got the bottle, going to fit mine with my local mechanic
Old 23 September 2014, 04:09 PM
WRX_Wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gary77
Thanks for the replies ,It's staring to sound less scary ,I think I'm going to do this
It's not too bad if you're methodical and take your time. Just a brit tricky as mentioned with having to lock/rotate the cams as you fit the new belt.
I did mine in January, replaceed all the rollers/idlers, water pump, thermostat and also pulled the oil pump and checked the pump bolts had not come loose (replaced the crank seal as well). Threebond sealant should be used for the oil pump to block interface as specified. It is not that cheap, but not worth risking problems if you decide not to use it.
The crank pulley bolt can be a pain, I used a long prybar with two short extensions sticking out the front of the pulley to react the torque of loosening the bolt. I used the same method for tightening, and was careful in both directions to "pre load" it all rather than just heave and something slips or breaks.
The single biggest problem i had was putting the intercooler back on with the hard plastic pipe not having any give. Hour and a half of swearing later and it was sorted.
Hope this helps, not a definitive guide but based on my experience.
Old 23 September 2014, 04:23 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

When it gets nearer the time i'll have a few questions so I know exactly what I'm going ,
Old 23 September 2014, 05:40 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

You should lock the n/s cam pulleys together before taking the belt off. I wouldn't do this any other way. As Ali mentions, they are 'on cam' when you've got all the timing marks lined up.

I've done a fair few different imprezas for customers, friends and many of my own.

Here's a few problems you may encounter, just so you know...

Crank pulley ridiculously tight (make sure you have the tools)
Radiator shroud bolts corroded (also had the captive nuts shear off so you need to remove the rad top cover to get to them)
Cam cover bolts not coming off, these can seize in their respective captive nut in the rear cam covers and when undoing can spin the captive nut in the rear of the cam cover

I've done them and had plain sailing and you think they're a breeze but I did a classic the other day and it'd clearly not been done for many years. Every step of the way it fought me and if you haven't got the tools or the confidence to see the job through then I'd think very carefully.
Old 23 September 2014, 06:23 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good watch
Old 23 September 2014, 08:03 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

You'll need to decide what you're going to replace. Some just replace the belt and that's probably ok if the first time the belt's been changed. Otherwise you're probably best to replace tensioner and/or idlers as well. Apparently if you spin an idler or shake it, it should be silent. I understand that a failed idler or tensioner is more likely than a snapped belt. ICP sell a set for around £170 so unless you're really cutting corners, best to replace everything at once. Some do water pump as well but that's another £100.
Old 23 September 2014, 11:54 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

thanks for the great info , im definatly doing this

i need a torque wrench , opinions on this one ? it is cheap but good enough for the job ?
Sealey Style 3/8-inch Drive 7-112nm/ 5-83lb.ft Torque Wrench Micrometer: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools Sealey Style 3/8-inch Drive 7-112nm/ 5-83lb.ft Torque Wrench Micrometer: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Old 24 September 2014, 11:06 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Halfords do excellent ones, they look like they're made by Beta to me.
Old 24 September 2014, 07:40 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

For torque wrench, you'll really need a high range (1/2") for the bigger nuts and bolts and a low range (3/8 or 1/4") for the small stuff. I got this 1/4" off ebay and it's superb for the money:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271245806232...IDESC&gxo=true

Can really recommend the 1/2" wrench that I got since the gauge doesn't line up properly.

Strongly recommend that you get hold of the Subaru workshop manual (check the links on this site).