Rear brake back plates

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2014, 03:34 PM
my first scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear brake back plates

Hi all,

I have a P1 and plan on doing a major strip down on the underside this winter and am looking for a bit of advice on the below.

My rear brake back plates are very badly corroded and one has a very small hole in it, Subaru seem to be around £300 each for new ones :0 what I need to know is is this a common part across all the impreza's of the same year or is it specific to the P1? ie if I buy second had STI one will they fit?

Also looking to find the best Subaru dealer to buy from? I require the fuel tank to filler flap pipe and I assume this will be genuine only?

and lastly I am going to be replacing ALL bushing and wonder what would be the best to replace it all with? just go genuine? or is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks
Mark
Old 26 October 2014, 06:20 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear backing plate:

I believe if you car has the standard 170mm handbrake any will fit other then the larger 190mm versions. I think ICP sell new genuine ones for just shy of £100 each. Are your old ones that bad? You may be surprissed what you can restore. Generally the outer edge rots as its thin metal but its just a stone guard held on with a few spot welds to the main thicker part of the plate. The stone guard isnt essential. A lot of rusted stuff can be shot blasted and powder coated and brought back to life as long as it still has its structure intact and there are no parts that are not compatable with the process.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=0&dc=&gen= I think these would fit.

Fuel Tank pipe

Common rot problem here. Mud gathers around it and rusts it away. Some can be shot blasted and powder coated (needs to be done properly so no dust is left) some are rotted away. New ones are Subaru only and cost around £100.
Same one fitted to all classics I think.

Bushes

Standard ones are a pig to fit. They will almost all require professional fitting. You can't just push them in as they are seriously pressed in there. They will also cost a lot!

Going for poly ones is easier as you can fit them easily with your hands or basic stuff like a work bench and vice (carefully). Don't be tempted to get cheap poly bushes as they fail and are dangerous. Use a good make like Powerflex or SuperPro. Be aware a full set will probably cost about £500-£600 (just a very rough guess). Also getting the old ones out is a pain. Some have to have the crap beaten out of them others need cutting out. Some are so tough burning them out with a torch is the only way! It's a big job for the average DIY person and very time consuming. Poly bushes also loose some comfort.

The other issue is that some bolts may need to be replaced. I just brought a set of bolts for the entire underside and they came to about £250 just on nuts and bolts. I didn't want to resuse rusty ones and most are Subaru Specific.

Expensive stuff this Subaru restoration.

Once you start you realise that its all rotting away and can get a bit obsessive...

Edit* Just checked and a set of Powerflex suspension bushes works out almost exactly £500. Thats everything bar the rear diff cradle to chassis which are not made in Poly other then by a cheaper company on ebay where there are about £25 a set. Then there are the steering rack ones by superflex for £30. Gearbox cradle ones for about £35. Gearbox lever bush about £30. So yeah £500-£600 wasn't a bad guess.

You can tell I am in the process of building an Impreza from scratch...

Found you this

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=0&dc=&gen=

Last edited by FMJ; 26 October 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 26 October 2014, 07:18 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Hi mate i have 1 rear back plate never fitted just dusty maybe scratched Il dig it out and message you if intrested send a couple pics, 30£ delivered if any good to you
Old 26 October 2014, 08:00 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break them off. Not needed.
Old 26 October 2014, 09:16 PM
my first scooby
Scooby Regular

Wow thank you very much, never heard of that site before! just had a browse and its going to get me in to trouble with the good lady :P

I am a trained Mechanic so it will be a breeze just needed to know what the score is with a few things which you have answered 100% so thank you for that.
I will be stripping out the whole rear end first including fuel tank and starting from scratch, a list of nuts and bolts you had to order with the part numbers would be extremely helpful as I have no Subaru dealer up here so it makes it slightly harder going.

Matthewturb2000 if you have a new one you want to sell and can find it that would be helpful, it is just the edge of mine that have rotten through I know you can do without them but I am doing the car up to how it was the day it left the factory so wont be just breaking them off.

Just need to work out if the car has standard rear discs or not!

Rgds
Mark

Originally Posted by FMJ
Rear backing plate:

I believe if you car has the standard 170mm handbrake any will fit other then the larger 190mm versions. I think ICP sell new genuine ones for just shy of £100 each. Are your old ones that bad? You may be surprissed what you can restore. Generally the outer edge rots as its thin metal but its just a stone guard held on with a few spot welds to the main thicker part of the plate. The stone guard isnt essential. A lot of rusted stuff can be shot blasted and powder coated and brought back to life as long as it still has its structure intact and there are no parts that are not compatable with the process.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=0&dc=&gen= I think these would fit.

Fuel Tank pipe

Common rot problem here. Mud gathers around it and rusts it away. Some can be shot blasted and powder coated (needs to be done properly so no dust is left) some are rotted away. New ones are Subaru only and cost around £100.
Same one fitted to all classics I think.

Bushes

Standard ones are a pig to fit. They will almost all require professional fitting. You can't just push them in as they are seriously pressed in there. They will also cost a lot!

Going for poly ones is easier as you can fit them easily with your hands or basic stuff like a work bench and vice (carefully). Don't be tempted to get cheap poly bushes as they fail and are dangerous. Use a good make like Powerflex or SuperPro. Be aware a full set will probably cost about £500-£600 (just a very rough guess). Also getting the old ones out is a pain. Some have to have the crap beaten out of them others need cutting out. Some are so tough burning them out with a torch is the only way! It's a big job for the average DIY person and very time consuming. Poly bushes also loose some comfort.

The other issue is that some bolts may need to be replaced. I just brought a set of bolts for the entire underside and they came to about £250 just on nuts and bolts. I didn't want to resuse rusty ones and most are Subaru Specific.

Expensive stuff this Subaru restoration.

Once you start you realise that its all rotting away and can get a bit obsessive...

Edit* Just checked and a set of Powerflex suspension bushes works out almost exactly £500. Thats everything bar the rear diff cradle to chassis which are not made in Poly other then by a cheaper company on ebay where there are about £25 a set. Then there are the steering rack ones by superflex for £30. Gearbox cradle ones for about £35. Gearbox lever bush about £30. So yeah £500-£600 wasn't a bad guess.

You can tell I am in the process of building an Impreza from scratch...

Found you this

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...var=0&dc=&gen=
Old 26 October 2014, 09:28 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

This site is your new best friend then:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/en_g10/type_42/

It takes a bit of working out but most bits are obvious. If the part you want isn't one of the ones with a number int he list below each diagram some part numbers are on the diagram itself eg a bolt might just have next to it b111002222 a nut has an n and a washer I think has a w. You will see if you have a look at a few diagrams. Once you have the part numbers you can either call a UK Subaru garage and order mail order or I have just ordered my bolts from here:

http://www.carparts-pros.com/page_1_3.php#oeformo

It's all in Euro's but once you convert it you still save about 10% even after shipping! Vat is included. Not sure if the site is any good but my order is placed so I will find out soon. They seem to be able to get pretty much every part I have been after.

I can do you the list of all bolts and stuff. I Just need to add a few to my list as I have got a few from elsewhere not in my order.

With regards to parts be careful before chucking stuff away. For example: There are two steel straps that hold the fuel tank up. They have rubber strips over them. Just one of these steel strips with a rubber cover is about £90 from Subaru. I restored mine properly with shot blasting and powder coating. Cleaned and treated the rubber back to it's soft shiny new state and for about £20 they are good as new. Instead of £180 for parts worth in reality about £20.

Be mindful that the opposed forces site I have supplied is not P1 specific however bolts and things will be the same.

I will be doing a project thread at some point as i have stripped a car back to its bare chassis. Removed all rust and undershield and then painted the whole underside with epoxy mastik. I am now starting to rebuild with brand new and a few restored parts.

Ref the rear discs maybe call subaru and give your vin get the part numbers then confirm with import car parts.
Do you have standard subaru sliding one pot calipers? Or bigger alcon brakes? Or have they been changed to two pots?

Other common classic rot areas are the rear subframe. This can be restored if not completely shot.
The inside of the rear arches due to a badly designed and untreated seam.
The brake pipe union block in front of the rear offside wheel.

If these areas are ok on your car make sure to treat them with something decent to keep them that way.

Last edited by FMJ; 26 October 2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 26 October 2014, 09:44 PM
my first scooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for that big help.

I will be stripping the car down and trying to re use as much as possible either getting it blasted and powder coated or zinc plated.

I would be interested to hear what epoxy mastic you will be using to reseal the underside? I am taking the side skirts or and bumpers and setting the car up outside on the column lifts and steam cleaning in the arches and the whole underside.
The rear brakes appear to be two pots if that helps narrow it down?

anyone in the Aberdeen area know what the best Subaru dealer is to deal with and any decent powder coaters and Zinc plater's?
Old 26 October 2014, 09:59 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my first scooby
Thanks very much for that big help.

I will be stripping the car down and trying to re use as much as possible either getting it blasted and powder coated or zinc plated.

I would be interested to hear what epoxy mastic you will be using to reseal the underside? I am taking the side skirts or and bumpers and setting the car up outside on the column lifts and steam cleaning in the arches and the whole underside.
The rear brakes appear to be two pots if that helps narrow it down?

anyone in the Aberdeen area know what the best Subaru dealer is to deal with and any decent powder coaters and Zinc plater's?
I took the car back to bare metal and then used 121 Epoxy Mastic by rustbuster.co.uk. It's expensive but good stuff! You do need to make sure the surface is clean first. But it's quite versatile. I brushed mine on as I didn't care about brush marks underneath but you could spray it.

Two pots as in identical to these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item2c81cf4a76

They are only fitted as standard to certain STI classics and I do not think came as standard on the P1. The P1 has one pot sliders or as an option had alcon big brake kit. But the two pots were often fitted as an upgrade. My knowledge on P1 brakes and baking plates is limited so hopefully someone else will answer.

Subaru Two pots came standard on later UK WRX cars so were retrofitted to classics which originally had the one pot sliders. This was done by using a bracket kit and larger 290mm discs.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:03 PM
my first scooby
Scooby Regular

Not sure now! I was sure it was two pots like the ebay link, I will check tomorrow to make sure.

I only bought the car around June time and the owner before me had it around 8 years and said it was totally standard apart from a few little things.

Originally Posted by FMJ
I took the car back to bare metal and then used 121 Epoxy Mastic by rustbuster.co.uk. It's expensive but good stuff! You do need to make sure the surface is clean first. But it's quite versatile. I brushed mine on as I didn't care about brush marks underneath but you could spray it.

Two pots as in identical to these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item2c81cf4a76

They are only fitted as standard to certain STI classics and I do not think came as standard on the P1. The P1 has one pot sliders or as an option had alcon big brake kit. But the two pots were often fitted as an upgrade. My knowledge on P1 brakes and baking plates is limited so hopefully someone else will answer.

Subaru Two pots came standard on later UK WRX cars so were retrofitted to classics which originally had the one pot sliders. This was done by using a bracket kit and larger 290mm discs.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:42 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

This

To this

To this

To this

This

To this

To this

And one of these

To this with some help from a shot blasting powder coating bloke

Then one of these

To this

Finished with some of this

And so the project goes on and on and on.... yes I am pretty much issane.
Old 27 October 2014, 11:14 PM
my first scooby
Scooby Regular

Wow that's is exactly the route I am going down! good job and are you doing it all outside?

I stand corrected on my rear brakes! they are not two pots but the standard Subaru ones with slides.

Mark
Old 27 October 2014, 11:25 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Yeah outside :-( I make it work tho :-)

That should mean that those backing plates I sent you the link for will be fine. As they will be standard uk turbo ones.
Old 28 October 2014, 09:03 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

"impartsb46" on eBay (who are Subaru UK by the way) have OE Fuel Filler for £89.

Have a look through here at the refurb I did on the rear subframe, trailing arms, bushes etc.

https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/8...ads-to-do.html

I have just completed a reseal of the underside of my RA as well.

https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/9...x-type-ra.html

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 28 October 2014 at 09:07 PM.