Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No.
Old 26 October 2014, 08:01 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rb5 stu
No.
That's a nice simple answer. I thought mbc took over from the restrictor. Thank you
Old 26 October 2014, 08:27 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

I genuinely thought after all the research I've done today I was asking a question I knew the answer to.
Old 26 October 2014, 08:53 PM
Essex
Scooby Regular

restrictor pill? ive bypassed my solenoid because it mullered and lets my scooby boost to abour 1.6 bar which then hits fuel cut in 3rd 4th and 5th.
Old 26 October 2014, 09:22 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Essex
restrictor pill? ive bypassed my solenoid because it mullered and lets my scooby boost to abour 1.6 bar which then hits fuel cut in 3rd 4th and 5th.
Have u just run a pipe from turbo to wastegate?
Old 26 October 2014, 09:34 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Manual boost controller?

Ok I'm just sitting here waiting for you to post the engine rebuild thread

Don't be a div, don't install those cheap nasty things, do it right and get your car mapped

You bodge your boost your fueling is going to be way out

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2014, 09:36 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Lol, and your still running that? Ok gonna be 2 engine rebuild threads soon

***** sake if you guys can't afford simple mods and tunes why buy the cars in the first place!!
Old 26 October 2014, 09:41 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
Manual boost controller?

Ok I'm just sitting here waiting for you to post the engine rebuild thread

Don't be a div, don't install those cheap nasty things, do it right and get your car mapped

You bodge your boost your fueling is going to be way out
Thanks for your response. I've been looking into this all day and I posted a thread earlier that had some useful responses.

Basically I bought my 97 with a decat midpipe and I've had to replaced the headers and up pipe because they were leaking badly.

After doing this Ive been overboosting in the higher gears.

I know that a remap is the perfect solution but on these models they can't be remapped unless you spend ££££s

I'm interested in a mbc only to control the overboost situation. Not to be silly with it.

I'm convinced the restrictor pill should be removed but can't find a definitive answer
Old 26 October 2014, 09:42 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

***** sake if you guys can't afford simple mods and tunes why buy the cars in the first place!!
+1
the older cars are so cheap new owners with a fiver spare buy them and chuck all sorts of unmapped crap on them blow them to bits and fill facebook pages about how unreliable "scooby's" are.
when the real reason the explode is due to the new owners lack of finances and knowledge to tune them correctly.
Old 26 October 2014, 09:51 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mbright81
Thanks for your response. I've been looking into this all day and I posted a thread earlier that had some useful responses.

I'm interested in a mbc only to control the overboost situation. Not to be silly with it.

I'm convinced the restrictor pill should be removed but can't find a definitive answer
What you are trying to do is cut corners and bodge your mods on

In affect what your doing is blue tacking something which should be screwed on

The restrictor pill shouldnt be removed

But anyway you carry on the way your going and enjoy the short life span of your block
Old 26 October 2014, 09:53 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
+1
the older cars are so cheap new owners with a fiver spare buy them and chuck all sorts of unmapped crap on them blow them to bits and fill facebook pages about how unreliable "scooby's" are.
when the real reason the explode is due to the new owners lack of finances and knowledge to tune them correctly.
There are some fruit loops on those Facebook groups!!

Really is embarrassing reading most of the posts
Old 26 October 2014, 09:56 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

What you are trying to do is cut corners and bodge your mods on

In affect what your doing is blue tacking something which should be screwed on

The restrictor pill shouldnt be removed

But anyway you carry on the way your going and enjoy the short life span of your block
How can my block be at risk if I keep the boost level standard?

If it stops my overboost surely it's not a bad solution

I'm grateful for your response. Please don't get me wrong
Old 26 October 2014, 10:01 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

How can my block be at risk if I keep the boost level standard?

If it stops my overboost surely it's not a bad solution

I'm grateful for your response. Please don't get me wrong
You just changed your manifold, put decatted exhaust on, obviously your boost lines aren't right as your hitting your boost cut offs

Manual boost controllers are aweful at holding a controlled boost also

And how do you know what the manual boost controller should be set at?

Right now all your fuelling will be out, ask any mapper on here they will tell you the same

Don't follow Facebook groups or anyone modding on tight budgets, you will be advised very wrong
Old 26 October 2014, 10:04 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

How can my block be at risk if I keep the boost level standard? If it stops my overboost surely it's not a bad solution I'm grateful for your response. Please don't get me wrong
I can see your logic with what you're suggesting. Main reason being even tho you're trying to regulate the boost the ecu can't see what's happening. Yes it may be boosting correctly but if something else gives out or goes to pot the ecu can't determine the boost and restrict it for a better word if it needed to, so your "correct" boost may not be correct in that instance.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:13 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

You just changed your manifold, put decatted exhaust on, obviously your boost lines aren't right as your hitting your boost cut offs

Manual boost controllers are aweful at holding a controlled boost also

And how do you know what the manual boost controller should be set at?

Right now all your fuelling will be out, ask any mapper on here they will tell you the same

Don't follow Facebook groups or anyone modding on tight budgets, you will be advised very wrong
I don't believe in facebook so don't worry about that.

I have a boost gauge so I can see what I'd be setting it at.

I see where your coming from about the fueling. I was just looking for a fix that didn't mean buying an ecu.

Thanks for your help
Old 26 October 2014, 10:17 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I can see your logic with what you're suggesting. Main reason being even tho you're trying to regulate the boost the ecu can't see what's happening. Yes it may be boosting correctly but if something else gives out or goes to pot the ecu can't determine the boost and restrict it for a better word if it needed to, so your "correct" boost may not be correct in that instance.
You have the same ring as devil666. There's no cure for overboost without remap.

Thanks for your response.
Old 26 October 2014, 10:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

no doubt hundreds of half arsed bodges available and one correct cure.
the thing is you have a performance car so why compromise its performance and reliability by doing something stupid??
Old 26 October 2014, 10:25 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

no doubt hundreds of half arsed bodges available and one correct cure.
the thing is you have a performance car so why compromise its performance and reliability by doing something stupid??
I hear you. Money talks and bull**** blows up on the way to tesco.
I love this car. F**kin expensive though
Old 26 October 2014, 10:39 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

i got a esl'd ecu for 220 , need the board taking out and installing in my ecu then remapping from there 300 so 520 + tank feul so well say 600 once ive bought lunch, got a garage of mods ive collected up over time, its not like youve got to spend 1000s in one lump, get the car running standard spec get a second hand cat for what ? 50£?give it a service, get it running healthy and just run it like that until youve all the bits and get it mapped it will transform the car
Old 26 October 2014, 10:39 PM
Essex
Scooby Regular

Probably should have mentioned this so all the keyboard warriors didn't jump out of their prams, I have a piggy back system which is currently being mapped to compensate for all mods including raised boost and a couple bits to be added later in the week
Old 26 October 2014, 10:43 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Probably should have mentioned this so all the keyboard warriors didn't jump out of their prams, I have a piggy back system which is currently being mapped to compensate for all mods including raised boost and a couple bits to be added later in the week
id get back in your pram, some of us have seen newbs like yourself come and go and blow up old imprezas and dream of building drift cars and other such fast and furious crap

ever thought some of the comments are from experience??
Old 26 October 2014, 10:45 PM
mbright81
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=*matthewturb2000*;11548009]i got a esl'd ecu for 220 , need the board taking out and installing in my ecu then remapping from there 300 so 520 + tank feul so well say 600 once ive bought lunch, got a garage of mods ive collectjed up over time, its not like youve got to spend 1000s in one lump, get the car running standard spec get a second hand cat for what ? 50£?give it a service, get it running healthy and just run it like that until youve all the bits and get it mapped it will transform the car

That sounds like s good plan. When pay day comes round I'm planning to change oil, filters, and plugs. I've got a cat and the donut gasket but I need to get a different back box cos its a 3 inch.

One step at a time I suppose
Old 26 October 2014, 10:49 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

i think esl new installed and mapped from a dealer/mapper is 575, iwas planning on self mapping but cant fully understand it so leaving it for a pro , thats why i bought a second hand esl'd ecu
Old 26 October 2014, 10:49 PM
Essex
Scooby Regular

id get back in your pram, some of us have seen newbs like yourself come and go and blow up old imprezas and dream of building drift cars and other such fast and furious crap

ever thought some of the comments are from experience??
if you say mate, newb? think not, been working on cars for the best part of 10 years, some built by myself include a 600bhp mr2, 700bhp evo 7 just to name 2, so before you slate, get your facts right.

plus judging by your comment you didnt read my post completely and missed the part about having a piggy back set up with mapping to compensate
Old 26 October 2014, 10:51 PM
Essex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *matthewturb2000*
i think esl new installed and mapped from a dealer/mapper is 575, iwas planning on self mapping but cant fully understand it so leaving it for a pro , thats why i bought a second hand esl'd ecu
i couldnt agree more, if your unsure let a professional do it. heard good things about the esl but never used one myself
Old 26 October 2014, 10:52 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

if you say mate, newb? think not, been working on cars for the best part of 10 years, some built by myself include a 600bhp mr2, 700bhp evo 7 just to name 2, so before you slate, get your facts right.

plus judging by your comment you didnt read my post completely and missed the part about having a piggy back set up with mapping to compensate
i can imagine you have built many amazing motors and thats why you trundle around in a 1997 wrx
Old 26 October 2014, 10:52 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's pretty much all already been said. Unmapped mods will gain little and ruin performance often ending in tears.

However if its just to get you by until you map (this should be sooner rather then later) you need to drive your car like miss daisy. I.e. slowly accelerating using a small amount of throttle not going above 3000rpm. You are then keeping your car from boosting and hopefully won't ruin it. You can however for example have a load of boost at 2500rpm if you are in a high gear and load is great ie trying to accelerate up hill in fifth at say 40mph. Not something you should do anyway but just an example of how you can end up with potentially damaging boost even driving carefully.

You can just plum turbo nipple straight to wastegate actuator. Then you will have about .5bar boost limited by the spring pressure. That is another half measure of safety but you really need a map...
Old 26 October 2014, 10:53 PM
Essex
Scooby Regular

na im not running it lol i put a boost controller in after the solenoid and turned it down so rather than the 1.6 bar it would let it run its only pushing 0.9
Old 26 October 2014, 10:56 PM
Essex
Scooby Regular

i can imagine you have built many amazing motors and thats why you trundle around in a 1997 wrx
i happen to like the classic which is why i have one lol if i wanted a newer impreza i would have one lol

Quick Reply: Restrictor pill and MBC