Notices

Turbo Lag After Upgrades ??

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2014, 08:35 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo Lag After Upgrades ??

After fitting a set of Williams Motorsport tubular headers and matching up pipe, a Japspeed fmic and a 3" APS exhaust system im now spooling around 600rpm later. Turbo is a Md321t billet and car is a 2.0 v8 sti, does 600rpm sound about right after losing the tmic and std headers/up pipe ??

I knew the fmic would induce lag but how does the tubular headers and larger up pipe affect spool ??

Ps im not complaining as i gained 50bhp in the process and once it gets going it pulls noticeably harder and the revs fly up much quicker, oh and im now officially a member of the 400 club, settled for a safe 1.6bar and made 430bhp ( BIG THANKS to Mark at TDR in Warwick)

Last edited by Dubzy; 14 November 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 14 November 2014, 08:46 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I made 431bhp on my 05sti with mdx321t on standard headers and uppipe and hdi fmic my car was laggy aswell i think turbo is not suited to 2.0l
Old 14 November 2014, 08:47 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turbo is better on a 2.5
Old 14 November 2014, 08:50 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Change the exhaust housing to smaller
Old 14 November 2014, 09:10 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The MD321T is suited to a 2.5 engine, however the tubular manifold will shift power to the right making it feel laggier but what you lose at the bottom you will gain at the top.

With the standard mani the car will feel like its peaked at about 6.5k rpm, however with the tubular mani the car will pull cleanly to the limiter
Old 14 November 2014, 10:20 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
The MD321T is suited to a 2.5 engine, however the tubular manifold will shift power to the right making it feel laggier but what you lose at the bottom you will gain at the top.

With the standard mani the car will feel like its peaked at about 6.5k rpm, however with the tubular mani the car will pull cleanly to the limiter
600rpm sounds about right then when you add the front mount into the equation ans your spot on rgarding the shift to the right as theres noticlbly more top end and pulls much harder in the upper gears.

For the record im more than happy with the turbo and was expecting lag when i purchased it and again with the last round of mods was just curious how the headers and up pipe affected spool and just confirmed what i thought. Only thing i dont really like and thats the noise lol
Old 14 November 2014, 10:24 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
I made 431bhp on my 05sti with mdx321t on standard headers and uppipe and hdi fmic my car was laggy aswell i think turbo is not suited to 2.0l
Interesting, if i could hit similar figures with the oem headers and up pipe i would consider changing back as i much preferred the sound before the last round of mods.

Trending Topics

Old 14 November 2014, 10:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 496 Likes on 339 Posts

Have you wrapped the headers/exhaust etc as that will help a little, not alot but every little helps

If you can afford it look at ceramic coating the headers etc
Old 14 November 2014, 10:39 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Have you wrapped the headers/exhaust etc as that will help a little, not alot but every little helps

If you can afford it look at ceramic coating the headers etc
Yes mate, The turbo is ceramic coated and i wrapped the headers, up pipe and half the down pipe, boy did it stink and smoke lol..
Old 14 November 2014, 10:43 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 496 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubzy
Yes mate, The turbo is ceramic coated and i wrapped the headers, up pipe and half the down pipe, boy did it stink and smoke lol..
Yeah mine did, we had to open the doors at rcm to let the smoke out.

Are you running a lightweight flywheel to help the engine rev easier?
Old 14 November 2014, 11:15 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Standard flywheel as far as im aware but it will be something i will be considering next time the clutch needs replacing.
Old 15 November 2014, 08:28 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you using the std 3bolt up-pipe then consider a "harvey smith" trick up-pipe...............

generally will gain spool without power loss
Old 15 November 2014, 12:32 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
if you using the std 3bolt up-pipe then consider a "harvey smith" trick up-pipe...............

generally will gain spool without power loss
I did think about this, am i correct in thinking the harvey 3 bolt up pipe is the same length as the oem up pipe ?? If so it wouldnt fit as on my new configuration the up pipe is noticeably longer than the oe one that came off.

Old 15 November 2014, 01:06 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You would obviously have to have the 3-bolt headers for it to fit - such as the GT Spec or RCM 3-bolt tubulars - so I'm guessing the uppipe flange must sit lower, so as to compensate for the taller 3-bolt uppipe???

Must admit, I didn't realise it was taller, though - weird.
Old 15 November 2014, 01:07 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

there is more than ONE version of the HS trick up-pipes in existence as they were developed for various header/turbo offerings which is why i mentioned the 3-bolt version to suit GT2 spec or similiar headers
Old 15 November 2014, 02:37 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure.

I actually have harvey's last ever 2-bolt tapered uppipe design, and a set of his unequal GT Spec1 tubulars, suited to my 20g.
Old 15 November 2014, 02:40 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a large diameter up pipe on the P1 and it was rubbish so put one on that was standard diameter and the car was a joy.
Old 15 November 2014, 03:12 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

the Harvey Smith tapered 2bolt GT up-pipes are still available from ourselves............
Old 15 November 2014, 10:10 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

the Harvey Smith tapered 2bolt GT up-pipes are still available from ourselves............
Is the 3 bolt variant still available as i may try a set of gt spec headers for comparison ??
Old 17 November 2014, 09:09 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

yes as stated in post #12 we supply HS designed up-pipes for both 2bolt and 3bolt GT spec style headers as well as various std 2bolt fitments for std headers

0191-4103770 or drop the office an email direct
Old 17 November 2014, 12:07 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

yes as stated in post #12 we supply HS designed up-pipes for both 2bolt and 3bolt GT spec style headers as well as various std 2bolt fitments for std headers

0191-4103770 or drop the office an email direct
Cheers mate i will give u a call.

Can somebody explain what affect the headers have regarding torque characteristics ?? is it the same as bhp as in shifting the power band to the right or does it have a different affect on torque as i gained a fair bit more bhp compared to torque ??

Last edited by Dubzy; 17 November 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 17 November 2014, 12:23 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

i have the same headers with the Harvey smith trick up pipe, it brings the spool in earlier and helps a lot, the headers have the tendency to produce more power than torque as the band is shifted. I've a 2.5 so it may have worked differently as I had them fitted to reduce the dip of torque to gain in power after 4.5krpm the car with the standard headers had a slight dip (could only feel it when on road). Once I changed the headers it made the torque and power smoother and pulls hard all the way till redline, I too favour the trick up pipe as it will net a good bit of spool once the map is tweaked to suit
Old 17 November 2014, 01:43 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve's Sti
i have the same headers with the Harvey smith trick up pipe, it brings the spool in earlier and helps a lot, the headers have the tendency to produce more power than torque as the band is shifted. I've a 2.5 so it may have worked differently as I had them fitted to reduce the dip of torque to gain in power after 4.5krpm the car with the standard headers had a slight dip (could only feel it when on road). Once I changed the headers it made the torque and power smoother and pulls hard all the way till redline, I too favour the trick up pipe as it will net a good bit of spool once the map is tweaked to suit
Thanks for that mate, i wasnt sure if the harvey pipe would fit these headers and didnt want to take it all off again to find out lol. I will be now ordering one to try out. Although i now have a bigger gap between torque and bhp on the road it feels so much quicker and pulls way harder in the higher gears.
Old 22 November 2014, 02:35 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I wouldn't personally use Williams Motorsport headers,I've used them only once and I wouldn't use them again on my car,if budget allow I would swap them for RCM or GT Spec

MDX321T is OK turbo for 2.0L,just really needs to use proper Up pipe as above Alyn said or you can try source older RCM Venturi Up pipe with which you can gain on spool up,but not as with Harvey trick Up pipe,as Williams Motorsport Up pipe is bigger and doesn't bring spool up to lower RPM,because is bit bigger,bigger or oversized Up pipe can cause lag

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Old 22 November 2014, 03:10 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Iv got the Hs up pipe improved spool massively. Tried and tested on many cars. Only person to sell these up pipes is alyn at as performance. Great mod accompanied by the right headers never heard of headers you have used. At times standard/ported headers work better with right up pipe. Will make massive improvement speak to alyn 0191 410 3770 his advice is second to none.
Old 22 November 2014, 11:01 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

I wouldn't personally use Williams Motorsport headers,I've used them only once and I wouldn't use them again on my car,if budget allow I would swap them for RCM or GT Spec

MDX321T is OK turbo for 2.0L,just really needs to use proper Up pipe as above Alyn said or you can try source older RCM Venturi Up pipe with which you can gain on spool up,but not as with Harvey trick Up pipe,as Williams Motorsport Up pipe is bigger and doesn't bring spool up to lower RPM,because is bit bigger,bigger or oversized Up pipe can cause lag

Hope this help

Thanks,Jura
Hey Jura,, Thanks for the useful info as always.

The actual headers look a bit like gt spec and look well made to be fair and ive heard positive things mentioned about them on here in the past thats why i went for them. Ive spoke with A.S and i will be purchasing a Harvey up pipe to compare, to be fair the lag isnt an issue and there is no lag once you get going anyway, and i would rather have some initial lag if meant a compromise to my top end power. My car is now so much quicker and the revs fly up way quicker than before but because i fitted a few mods all together its difficult to know the gains i got from each.

I spool around 600rpm later now after also going from top mount to front mount and im guessing the majority of the loss is due to this, bus as stated it feels so much quicker now and it just keeps pulling in every gear and went from 380bhp to 430bhp so overall im well happy. If the Harvey up pipe can give me earlier spool without compromising the power i will be even happier

Last edited by Dubzy; 23 November 2014 at 12:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 22 November 2014, 11:02 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
Iv got the Hs up pipe improved spool massively. Tried and tested on many cars. Only person to sell these up pipes is alyn at as performance. Great mod accompanied by the right headers never heard of headers you have used. At times standard/ported headers work better with right up pipe. Will make massive improvement speak to alyn 0191 410 3770 his advice is second to none.
Cheers buddy, i will be trying one out shortly
Old 23 November 2014, 04:36 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a TD04 , WRX on a 2.0 PPP I changed the uppipe first to a decat one but It did not significantly change the point of rpm when the TD04 spooled. However when it came in it torque was much stronger.

Then I swapped the WRX TMIC to a large aftermarket TMIC.
That did loose some spool on the TDO4 . Logical I think because the TD04 does not make high flow.

I went then to TD05 16g injectors pump and had the map done so then I had decent spool through volume of flow, but it came in 500 - 600 later than the original TD04 on PPP.

At the time I deliberately did not go FMIC as I was aiming at 300 Bhp and it would have been overkill for a TD05 16g . So I am wondering if a Sti TMIC would have been better bet than the 30% larger TMIC from CX racing ( which was also supposed to be for 400 hp )

I ported the TD05 , I had wrapped the Pipes too , but im still left thinking the volume of air needed to compress in the CX racing TMIC is not helping the spool.

The biggest winner has been to change the waste gate opening cycle I found my new Aftermarket China turbo was starting to open the WG at 0.25 bar standard is 0.5
First off I fitted the TD04 one back to the new TD05 turbo , which helped but was still not much of an improvement.

So tuning if your WG to open a touch later still would seem useful, obviously you need some choice so I ordered a Kinguwa one with 3 various spring rates to choose from. I guessed 0.8 ,1.0, 1.2 bar . but I havent fitted this yet , as while I was waiting for it to arrive , I used a MBC and the dam thing jammed , the turbo spiked well over 2 bar inside 2 seconds, I spun a bearing. Bad Lesson learned on a 10 pound part.

The PPP "high" flow cat of course still contributes a bit of lag , but as its illegal not to have one cat in the bag , so Im going to stick with it once im back on the road.
Old 23 November 2014, 05:12 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Big up pipe is not the way forward to help spool
Old 08 December 2014, 07:11 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

I had a new Harvey "trick"up pipe fitted today and not only has it increased spool and response but also i no longer have a kink/restriction in my inlet pipe against the inlet manifold due to the odd angle my turbo was sitting at due to the williams motorsport up pipe i had fitted. My new 3" exhaust system no longer vibrates through the car after heating and manipulating the japspeed downpipe i have fitted. Sorted a few small issues today but made a world of difference to the car and had a great drive home as always.

Big Thanks to Mark and co at TDR (Thwaites) cant recommend these guys enough

Last edited by Dubzy; 08 December 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Lag After Upgrades ??