Notices

1994 Wrx sti coolant advice

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2015, 10:30 PM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1994 Wrx sti coolant advice

Hi I've bought a 1994 wrx sti today and checked oil and water when I got home. Oil was fine and the water container near front wing with yellow cap was a little low but it took 1/2 litre to bring up to f line . But I then noticed a tank near turbo with rad cap on and this was empty!? Should this be full!? Should I fill it? Please can you help cheers
Old 21 February 2015, 10:45 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes the header tank should be full,be careful when filling tho!
Search on here for how to fill the system without airlocks as the Impreza system can not be bled. Hope this helps
Old 22 February 2015, 07:47 AM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

Hi so do I just take the rad cap off the metal container and fill to the top with coolant?
Old 22 February 2015, 04:09 PM
matthewn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no mate you need to back fill it via the pipe that goes to the turbo from header tank,and fill slowly, more to the point why was the header tank empty in the first place id be asking myself.
Old 22 February 2015, 07:16 PM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

I checked when car was warm and it was low in the metal tank but after leaving it all night I went to fill it this morning and it was fine and nearly full again?? Is this normal? There is no smoke and it runs like a dream!?
Old 22 February 2015, 07:21 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

No it's not normal, could be air locked? The only thing that should move is the expansion tank on NS inner wing.
Old 22 February 2015, 09:59 PM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

What do you suggest I do next then? The container in inner wing is full and since I topped up the metal container next to turbo that had stayed full? If head gasket had gone what would be symptoms and would it loose power? As it's not and oil is like new still
Old 22 February 2015, 11:36 PM
Zuber
Scooby Regular

Drain all the coolant out and re fill using the proper filling method to avoid air locking. Start here first to know it's not air locked. Symptoms of hg failure is over heating, losing coolant through expansion tank, lots of bubbles in header tank and expansion tank after run. Smell of exhaust fumes in header tank, coolant loss into engine, ie coolant in combustion chambers or going into oil ways. Most hg failures are only noticed when the car has been run on sustained boost causing the head or heads to start lifting. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to get a sniff test done for hydrocarbons on the coolant system.

Last edited by Zuber; 22 February 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:00 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

As above.

Also you can bleed the impreza cooling system quite easily.

On the header tank you have two thinner coolant pipes. take them both off.
Next take the thin pipe off of the top of the radiator. (It's the other end which you already took off header tank).

Now with that short piece of thin pipe use this to connect both thin outlets of the header tank together.

Ok I hope you're still with me. To bleed just fill the header tank with you're mix of coolant, to speed this up what I do is blow down into the header tank sealing it with my lips. You'll hear the air gurgling around then refill again. Eventually you'll get to the stage where coolant is coming out of the top of the radiator thin outlet which you disconnected earlier. So once the coolant is coming out of there cleanly just put the rad cap on and re fit the thin pipes.

Next take it for a blast and let it cool down. You should find the level has dropped very slightly, refill and if you did it right and there's no leaks or head gasket problems you won't have any air in there.
Old 25 February 2015, 07:32 AM
Richardweasel
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you help I will try this at the weekend! I'm also tempted to buy a newer model as I love this car but being a 94 it is quite old and worn! Which models would you recommend? I am looking at 04/05 wide track models with the diff control as everyone seems to rate them? Should I go for a uk or an import is there much difference
Old 25 February 2015, 09:10 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardweasel
Hi so do I just take the rad cap off the metal container and fill to the top with coolant?
No, you need to search on here like the post said and follow instructions.

Sorry if this is a bit grumpy, but we get one every few days, asks for advice, doesn't read the replies.
Old 25 February 2015, 09:11 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jason_2013
As above.

Also you can bleed the impreza cooling system quite easily.

On the header tank you have two thinner coolant pipes. take them both off.
Next take the thin pipe off of the top of the radiator. (It's the other end which you already took off header tank).

Now with that short piece of thin pipe use this to connect both thin outlets of the header tank together.

Ok I hope you're still with me. To bleed just fill the header tank with you're mix of coolant, to speed this up what I do is blow down into the header tank sealing it with my lips. You'll hear the air gurgling around then refill again. Eventually you'll get to the stage where coolant is coming out of the top of the radiator thin outlet which you disconnected earlier. So once the coolant is coming out of there cleanly just put the rad cap on and re fit the thin pipes.

Next take it for a blast and let it cool down. You should find the level has dropped very slightly, refill and if you did it right and there's no leaks or head gasket problems you won't have any air in there.
Oh for heaven's sake..........
Old 25 February 2015, 10:39 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that
Old 25 February 2015, 11:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It's fine.....but folk will go and do that, think they have cured the fault, fail, and then blow a headgasket.

Will YOU pay if they do?
Old 25 February 2015, 11:29 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

My method of bleeding coolant is flawless. Any idiot could do it. You should try it. (not saying you're an idiot by the way. I don't know you at all)
Old 25 February 2015, 03:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Aye, whatever.