Notices

Cone Filter in Engine Bay or inner wing ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2015, 09:08 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cone Filter in Engine Bay or inner wing ?

On a 95 classic, im not going for power (as i know the airbox is capable) but i do like the induction noise and also would like to try and get turbo flutter, i can tweak my MAP as i have an ESL.
So am toying with fitting my K&N cone filter again, its quite big and not sure if i should just fit it in place of airbox (lots of hot air in engine bay) or go to all the hassle of fitting it in the inner wing ? which involves a bit of faffing about.

Is there that much conflict between engine bay location and inner wing location for a cone filter ?

Cheers
Old 13 July 2015, 10:56 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rig fitting the filter down in the inner wing will give cold air but has its drawbacks due to been closer to the road ****e/water ingress when its raining etc etc have a word with Frayz or Adz as they used to make inner wing boxes with a direct feed from the front foglight cover keeping the filter in the engine bay but being fed with cold air from the front the same as what I have fitted on mine.

wing box fitted.
Name:  IMG_8313.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  51.9 KB

filter fitted inside the wing box getting direct cold air feed.

Cold air fed from the front foglight cover
Name:  IMG_9727_zps0fd8d384.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  67.6 KB
Old 14 July 2015, 01:21 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

That cold airbox feed is some bit of kit, a bit of cutting required there tho :-)

yeah, from what ive read i think the filter in the engine bay with a cold feed is the way to go, not only cause of water ingress but unless the MAF is direct ontot he filter its scaling will be off if i leave it where it is and have a long run to it from the cone filter.

so next thing is to sort out a cold air feed without cutting too much stuff away ha

cheers bud, looking good in that pic tho bud
Old 14 July 2015, 08:47 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

They are really nice bits of kits those cold airfeed boxes
However I have mine running from the front fog straight to my large K&N filter, like in the picture, and it works very well.
(Out of interest have you got a five speed box or a six speed?
Underbonnet temps tend to effect people with six speed set ups than five speed set ups on classics, as the way subaru designed the airflow through the engine bay has been altered with a six speed box in place)
Old 14 July 2015, 01:45 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
They are really nice bits of kits those cold airfeed boxes
However I have mine running from the front fog straight to my large K&N filter, like in the picture, and it works very well.
(Out of interest have you got a five speed box or a six speed?
Underbonnet temps tend to effect people with six speed set ups than five speed set ups on classics, as the way subaru designed the airflow through the engine bay has been altered with a six speed box in place)
Steve was that aimed at me or the op as im running a 6 speed with a spec-c engine,sc46 havent checked under bonnet temps but my fans are on an override switch with the syvecs if needed plus not running any undertray, running a modified lateral intercooler core/rad combo to keep temps down hence the wrap on all the intercooler pipework to help things under bonnet??
Old 14 July 2015, 03:22 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Gussy at the OP, as Mr Rig mentioned Under bonnet temps on this thread.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...d-on-here.html

However as we are chatting
When I was up at Harveys house a few years back we were chatting about this and he had done some testing. The long and the short of it is. Is that on a classic subaru have designed the air to flow through the engine bay and down the transmission tunnel. However when a six speed is put in, which as you know is bigger, it interupts the flow of air and more hot air sits or circulates in the engine bay. He tested what happened when you took the underside of the vents on the bonnet off to get more air in that way. But that caused things to run hotter.

So under bonnet temps it is not about how much air goes in but it is about how that air moves though or sits in the engine bay area.

You have done all the right things, I have the same, no undertray, the right stuff lagged, a good FMC ect
ect.

With a 6 speed the big power 2.5s, which seemed to run hotter, did have more issues with heat. On the big power 2.1 I have now it all seems to be a bit cooler and it no real issue for me presently.

So what I would say, is that you have taken the right route by the sounds of things and under bonnet temps may well not be an issue for you. But hypothetically if you fitted a 5 speed and measured your under bonnet temps the probability is, is that they would be lower due to the nature of airflow though the engine bay

Cheers
Steve
Old 14 July 2015, 03:43 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the update Steve TBH never thought about the differance between the 5 speed v the 6 speed size wise its intresting also about the bonnet vents which I have the inner covers still on which looks like its a +

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2015, 03:53 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Yeh its funny that as just looking at it you would think the vents open would make thing cooler. But keep them on
All in all ultimately the key temp in many respects is that of the air in the intercooler pipe by the throttle body.
Cheers
Old 14 July 2015, 06:10 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, just sussing it all out fitment wise and what i have done is remove the 8" corner rubber strip that is attached to the underside of the corner of the bonnet on the air filter side, with it fitted, naturally it blocks air flow above the drivers light, just removing it i can now see into the area where the cone filter will go, so guessing it must allow some cold air into the that area.

Itss o crammed in there its hard to place the filter anywhere where it wont get hot, even running a cold air feed is tricky what with carbon canister, aircon rad/normal rad all in the way

cheers
Old 14 July 2015, 07:39 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Yes I can confirm - removing that strip definitely helps with temps.