Notices

engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2015, 10:01 AM
j4meswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine parts

Hi I have a 2002 bug wrx the bottom end is gone I want to rebuild this block but what version crank will fit and what's peoples recommendations for pistons and rods for say a safe 500bhp also will my block need machining for bigger heads bolts or will I get away with standard size . Thanks James
Old 15 July 2015, 10:37 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by j4meswrx
Hi I have a 2002 bug wrx the bottom end is gone I want to rebuild this block but what version crank will fit and what's peoples recommendations for pistons and rods for say a safe 500bhp also will my block need machining for bigger heads bolts or will I get away with standard size . Thanks James
Sounds prime for a 2.1 stroker kit rebuild,i know that's what i would do,especially if your thinking 500 horses.Also try to take into account all the supporting mods needed to achieve that bhp figure.Suppliers: ScoobyClinic,Lateral Performance do really nice kits with quality rods crank and pistons used.You don't need bigger size head bolts 11mm would be fine,RCM do a Extreme 11mm head stud kit that is top top quality also.SJ.
Old 16 July 2015, 01:36 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Really depends on budget and target,but as you are said,you want 500bhp then I would go too with 2.1L as above SJ

Advanced Automotives or Lateral performance and many other companies selling their stroker kits...

Crank this depends,if you are want go with 2.1L,most commonly used crank is EJ257 crank and stroker pistons and rods,second option is go with EJ207 crank and longer rods(+2mm) and stroker pistons,this combo is used on HKS and Cosworth Stroker kits

About the rods and pistons,we are run Cosworth pistons with Manley rods which has been OK for that power which we are run,good pistons are too Wiseco and rods,this depends on budget,but you can buy K1 rods for nice price(they're slightly expensive than Manley,but not as expensive as Carrillo/Cosworth) and studs,I would go with standard size ARP head studs or Cosworth 11mm 260k psi and I think they don't need to be machined

Hope this helps and good luck with project there

Thanks,Jura
Old 16 July 2015, 08:49 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whilst we dont advertise stroker kits, etc. we do supply a massive range of engine components, seals, parts, etc. and can happily help with advice to get the best "bang for buck" your budget will allow.........

just contact the office direct
Old 19 July 2015, 04:42 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by j4meswrx
Nothing wrong with aiming high and hate to put a damper on this , but you won't run this power on the WRX box, you will need a 6 speed STi .
I run a 2.0 WRX block Sti bottom end rebuild from Andy Williams at pp@wms-racing.com with large capacity oil pump. The block should be just over a grand. The other issue you have is you do not have AVECs ( like me ) so you will loose the power gains that these heads bring , and to be honest if you are looking for over 400 you should really think about these as they flow better than the WRX heads. So its time to think about a late or scrap Sti for the diff-box and engine, then go and stroke it as described by above contributors. Also take a look at the Leaderboard, and you will see Tweaks has just posted his RA's figures. This will help show you what you can expect and what it takes to get there. Enjoy.