Notices

Modine oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2015, 09:51 PM
Nige 84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modine oil cooler

Hello everyone I'm after a bit of advise in that can I do away with the modine oil cooler and replace it with a sandwich plate and oil cooler I have been told these can fail and leak water into the oil system I just think it would be better to not have it if possible any thoughts would be much appreciated cheers nige84 oh and I worked out the air con delete bracket was easy really just had a stupid moment lol
Old 15 July 2015, 10:06 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can but not sure you should... I have never heard of a modine failing. If you just fit a big cooler you may find your oil is too cool (just as bad as too hot). The modine also helps warm the oil up when you start up. This is a good thing.

You can fit one that has a switch that opens depending on temp but that's another thing to go wrong in my book. Of course if you are doing a big power build and have got oil temp issues a good quality remote cooler is a no brainer but just for ****s and giggles on a road car you introduce more failure points so are not really helping.

How are you oil temps?

The only downside of the modine is you have to fit a new one when you rebuild a failed engine and they are about £180. But you would need to replace a remote cooler in that case too.

Last edited by FMJ; 15 July 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 15 July 2015, 10:46 PM
Nige 84
Scooby Regular

Oil temp not sure yet I have just finished a forged rebuild just getting some ideas before I put it back in the modine was ok when I took it out engine hadn't failed either so u reckon just leave it and put oil cooler on Aswell thanks for your reply much appreciated cheers
Old 16 July 2015, 07:43 AM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

All depends on what your using the car for if your going to do some trackdays with it then yeah swap for a proper oil cooler. The oil modine are crap tbh and it is known that even some turbo scoobs fitted with autos didnt even have a modine.

If you do fit a proper cooler you need a thermostatic sandwich plate and fit the cooler in a decent place with plenty of air flow. The coolant lines that go to the old modine you can just block off
Old 16 July 2015, 07:58 AM
Nige 84
Scooby Regular

This is what I thought thanks mate��
Old 16 July 2015, 07:06 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As FMJ stated the modine is not a common failure point and it helps to warm your oil.. Keep the modine and add an oil cooler if required..