Notices

How replace Neutral Position Switch Newage

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2015, 05:22 PM
ben5141
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How replace Neutral Position Switch Newage

I'm going to have a go at replacing the knackered (diagnosed during remap) NPS on my V7 STI. I understand that it's a bit of a pain in the A**E. Is it a case of sticking the front wheels on ramps undoing the rear gearbox mounts & supporting box on a trolley jack?? Any other advice??
Old 14 October 2015, 06:23 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get the car as high as you can trolly jack under box then remove mount and drop box a little, the nps is at the top on a 6 speed, its a little fiddly but easy enough job, main plugs for it ar at the front of the box
Old 14 October 2015, 10:31 PM
KevP84
Scooby Newbie

i had the front end up on axle stands. support box with trolley jack, un do box support brackets and pull it down a bit. feet towards front head rear, follow line of prop shaft with left hand to find the switch, slightly off center towards passenger side. bit fiddley but not to bad. dont forget the copper washer reassembling, that was the hardest bit keeping it in place. thought might of had a bit more room to pull box a bit lower if dropped the exhaust. but not essential to do it. hope that helps.

my car is a jdm sti blobeye 2002

Last edited by KevP84; 14 October 2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: car details
Old 15 October 2015, 09:18 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My mapper told me to put a thicker washer on the switch so it makes contact again. Saves buying a new switch if it works.
Old 15 October 2015, 01:39 PM
ben5141
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KevP84
i had the front end up on axle stands. support box with trolley jack, un do box support brackets and pull it down a bit. feet towards front head rear, follow line of prop shaft with left hand to find the switch, slightly off center towards passenger side. bit fiddley but not to bad. dont forget the copper washer reassembling, that was the hardest bit keeping it in place. thought might of had a bit more room to pull box a bit lower if dropped the exhaust. but not essential to do it. hope that helps.

my car is a jdm sti blobeye 2002
Thanks for your advice gents especially the bit about laying on your back with your feet towards front of car, that is the only way to get a spanner (19mm) on the sensor. Just finished it (not quick or fun) a few tips for anyone else doing the job - disconnect exhaust after down pipe & undo the centre bracket holding the prop shaft. I couldn't get the sensor to undo so ended up cutting the wires off the the top of it so I could get a socket on it with a breaker bar. The good news is, it has made a big difference to the car's performance, it's a lot more responsive & feels quite a bit quicker.