'96 WRX import stuttering and failed emissions

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2015, 04:55 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 WRX import stuttering and failed emissions

Hi All,

I got a version 2 1996 WRX import earlier in the year, it had been sat unused for a year or two and it's a bit rough round the edges. I sorted the obvious things like new brakes, new exhaust etc and took it for an MOT but it failed on emissions. I've checked what i can but i'm at a bit of a loss of what to try next.

When you start the car it bogs down and almost dies, then when you press the throttle quickly it almost dies again before the revs rise, if you press the throttle slowly the revs will rise normally. The car drives pretty fine when i took it to the MOT place, the stuttering is only really noticeable when cold and sat still but i'm thinking its the route of my emissions issues as it's cleanly not running correctly.

It's got a new Lambda sensor, i've cleaned the MAF and tried a different MAF (however that may well be broken too as it's a 2nd hand one from eBay). I've checked the spark plugs and they all look fine and are all even, the coilpacks appear fine and everything on the intake side is done up tightly.

It's not storing any codes in the ECU (i dream of a car with ODB2 again like my old 2005 STi )

When i unplug either the MAF, O2 sensor or something like the throttle position sensor (basically anything to cause a CEL) it runs a lot better, the revs rise instantly instead of bogging down as i assume it's running a safe open loop map in limp mode?

Here's a video of what it's doing:

Anyone got any suggestions?