Notices

Suspension & brake overhaul: anything else whilst I'm there

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2015, 09:03 PM
SuperCat
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension & brake overhaul: anything else whilst I'm there

I have got some PCA Dynamics springs for my recently purchased Hawkeye WRX Wagon and having had some great advice from members here decided to get some KYB shocks to achieve a suspension overhaul. Should I do top mounts at the same time? etc.

The above has been slightly delayed due to having a failing piston on a caliper last week. For this I have managed to source a set of 4 calipers all round and will be refurbishing these and get some hoses which I have ordered from Pro-Line. Apart from discs and pads is teher anything else which i should look into?

Being a newbie here I just wanted to get opinions on if there is anything else I should consider doing "whilst I am there"?

I would be interested in measures to preserve the underbody components as well as getting uprating replacement parts that are known to fail or be under specced as standard. The wagon has low mileage and well looked after but the downside is the underbody looks "rusty" even to an untrained eye like mine!

Thanks in advance.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:56 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Polly bushes, both roll bars and steering rack, Alyn @ AS Performance is your man, (also have a chat with him about any other stuff, he's very helpful and knowledgable.

I would also consider an STI standard rear roll bar, Mattbrdevolopments the breaker on here is your man for that, he will even powder coat it in a colour of your choice, all of the above are cheap and very effective, especially the steering rack bushes.

Look at the thread about uprated roll bars and UK roads, you'll see my Wagon set up in there.

Edit to add, solid front and rear drop links are a good idea too.
Old 22 November 2015, 11:53 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you already have solid droplinks?

And when it's all done, get a PROPER 4-wheel alignment from somewhere like Powerstation or Carnetix....NOT a tyre place!
Old 22 November 2015, 10:17 PM
SuperCat
Scooby Regular

Really appreciate the help All. That gives me a bit more research to do.

For the Sti rear rollbar will any 05-07 fit without issue? What size are they as I have seen a lot of members have the 22mm Whiteline ARB.

EDIT: I have found this info may be for USDM

WRX sedan: 20F/20R
WRX wagon: 20F/17R

WRX sedan: 20F/20R It's been reported that they later changed to 17R

WRX sedan: 20F/17R
STI: 20F/20R

WRX sedan: 20F/17R
STI: 20F/20R

I am not sure about the drop links - Do Hawkeye WRX's come with solid drop links?

EDIT: I have found this info
- Rear endlinks on both the wagon and sedan are plastic, and really should be upgraded. Even with the stock bar they will deflect too much and hurt performance.
- Rear sway mount - the 04+ imprezas have beefier mounts than the pre-04 models. Many suggest upgrading these mounts while you are under there.
- Front endlinks - On a wagon these are a plastic dogbone. It is a good idea to upgrade them. On a sedan these are metal, and are quite good even for running some of the larger front sways out there.

I have already done some business with Mattbrdevolopments so I will sound him out.

Last edited by SuperCat; 22 November 2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 23 November 2015, 06:57 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here you go pal, have a read of all of this thread and it should answer a few questions and help you make your mind up.

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...-uk-roads.html
Old 23 November 2015, 10:16 AM
SuperCat
Scooby Regular

Thanks Ditchmyster, I have read through that thread some great info.

I have seen a Rear ARB on the bay which comes off a RB320 but all the threads I have come across tell me that the STi bar will not fit the Wagon. I s there any way around this or am i going to have to fork out for a whiteline bar?
Old 24 November 2015, 11:27 AM
SuperCat
Scooby Regular

Done a lot of research on this and unfortunately the above RB320 rear ARB will not fit.

Also STi specced bars post bugeye will not fit on a Wagon or Saloon WRX.
New Age Wagons & Saloons share the rear ARB design.
Bugeye STi shares the same rear ARB design as the Wagon and Saloon.
Classics share the same rear ARB design as Newage Wagon and Saloon.

So to round-up you can use the rear ARB off any Impreza 93-07 - non-STi after Bugeye!
Old 26 November 2015, 02:07 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whilst the wheels/brake discs are off I would clean out the wheel arches and check for any under seal that is peeling, my 2005 blob had this starting to happen so gave it a good coat of fresh underseal. See my thread wagon thread.

The rear ARB to fit to your wagon will be from any newage bug/early blob STi (non widetrack, hence why the RB320 one doesn't fit. It's 20mm.