Notices

High idle speed - possible electrical fault?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2016, 06:22 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High idle speed - possible electrical fault?

I've referred to this in another thread but thought I'd give it a thread of its own especially in light of some new evidence.

The car MY00 UK classic has had a slightly high idle for some time when the engine is warmed up: it settles at around 900rpm only dropping to 750rpm after some time. I've cleaned the ICV on several occasions but to no avail and looked for leaks in hoses etc.

Today I noticed that the high idle is related to the use of the heater (possibly also the stereo). If blower is on 1 or above and then I switch it off (0) the idle drops to 750rpm, turn it on it rises to 900rpm.

I don't know much at all about car electrics but it suggests something is faulty. Any suggestions what I can check?

Thanks
Old 12 February 2016, 07:28 PM
Scubarroo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well when ever you turn electrical stuff on you put load onto the engine and the engine compensates this by giving the engine more juce. I belive this is controlled by the idle control valve (something like that) but the engine RPM will recover quickly and should settle back around 750rpm. I wouldn't of thought it's straight up the electrics maybe more like a vacuum leak, I had a a focus with a broke MAF sensor and that caused high idle and also the Engine to hunt.
Old 14 February 2016, 10:07 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubarroo
Well when ever you turn electrical stuff on you put load onto the engine and the engine compensates this by giving the engine more juce. I belive this is controlled by the idle control valve (something like that) but the engine RPM will recover quickly and should settle back around 750rpm. I wouldn't of thought it's straight up the electrics maybe more like a vacuum leak, I had a a focus with a broke MAF sensor and that caused high idle and also the Engine to hunt.
Thanks. I changed the MAF last week and that didn't make any difference. It's weird - I can adjust idle speed by turning the blower on/off...