Notices

2.0R Sport - Poor Start and Tapping

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2016, 01:51 PM
scoobasaurus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2.0R Sport - Poor Start and Tapping

Sorry for writing war and peace here - I've looked high and low for similar posts but nobody has described what I am experiencing.

MY06 Hawkeye has been a total joy for the past 10 years. I love it and never want to let it go! Over the past 4 or 5 years it has played an odd trick on me just a handful of times...

It happens as follows:

The engine is run from cold (e.g. running for anything from a few seconds to 4 minutes) - the initial cold start is always perfect, no sign of any issues.

It is then left for a period of an hour up to a day or more.

When I next try to start it - it just cranks (good battery) fine, but won't fire. After a few attempts a few minutes apart it sounds like it starts to fire on one or two cylinders, slowly waking up over several seconds until I can disengage the starter and it gradually starts to fire on all four and picks itself up to cold idle - after which it appears to run normally. No plumes of black smoke from the exhaust. OBD reports sensible Outside Air Temp and Coolant Temps.

Once warm it idles well at around 700-725 (according to OBD), delivers good power (for NA anyway!). No adverse ticking, tapping or knocking noises - just the injector noise with the bonnet up.

It hasn't done this for several months, but I broke my arm 4 weeks ago just after putting in a new battery (old one was dead in the cold weather). The other day my daughter started it to move it further back into the car port, then shut it down. Started fine. Got in it today... and it's played its trick on me.

It was a few degrees above freezing. Same thing - cranking at a good speed but no fire. This time, when it finally started to wake up I noticed the oil pressure light had already gone out but there was a very obvious regular tapping - not sure if it was crank or cam speed - (I've never heard bad piston slap first hand).

This tappety tap continued for several seconds, but then subsided (too quickly for anything to warm up, but maybe for oil to fill a lash adjuster in the followers?) - and all seems fine again. We took it out for a good drive with plenty of WOT up to 5k (I think my daughter enjoyed driving - but I was ) - sounded and drove well - Got the usual speed up a local long hill WOT, so no power loss. And the next day it started first time as though nothing had happened - no odd noises or anything.

Any guesses? Steve.

Last edited by scoobasaurus; 16 February 2016 at 01:52 PM.