Notices

Do all sports cats have a mesh across the inside bore?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2016, 07:14 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do all sports cats have a mesh across the inside bore?

Its a Milltek 3" downpipe thought to be the sports cat one but wrapped in heat wrap so cant see the name plate. Dont want to take off the wrap if it can be helped.

My experience of catalytic converters would have a mesh across the entire inner bore which is the top of the actual cat as shown below (not the Milltek)...

With the Milltek I have, I cannot visually see anything but the angle is too tight to get a good look from the turbo outlet flange. I can drop a ball of paper in at one end and it drops straight out the other, so its not got a cat.. right? Unless Milltek designed some amazing ultra efficient catalytic converter?

Some one please give me a sanity check here!
Old 06 September 2016, 09:29 PM
PhilWrx100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoff
Its a Milltek 3" downpipe thought to be the sports cat one but wrapped in heat wrap so cant see the name plate. Dont want to take off the wrap if it can be helped.

My experience of catalytic converters would have a mesh across the entire inner bore which is the top of the actual cat as shown below (not the Milltek)...

With the Milltek I have, I cannot visually see anything but the angle is too tight to get a good look from the turbo outlet flange. I can drop a ball of paper in at one end and it drops straight out the other, so its not got a cat.. right? Unless Milltek designed some amazing ultra efficient catalytic converter?

Some one please give me a sanity check here!
Hi fella. It's needs the honeycomb section in there otherwise it can't work/ reduce the emissions. Sounds like you have a damaged cat or its been removed on purpose.
Phil
Old 06 September 2016, 09:36 PM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Indeed, that exactly what I thought. I dont think its been damaged or removed, I just think it was advertised incorrectly.

Thanks, for the sanity check!
Old 06 September 2016, 09:45 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Miltek decat downpipe does have a "bulge" in it - not sure if it's where they fit the cat for a sports cat version or if it's just a resonator or something. But I imagine someone could either have genuinely thought the bulge meant sports cat, or knew this and pulled a fast one.
Old 07 September 2016, 05:56 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

yeah the sportcat on a milltek will be fitted where the 2nd cat would be on a standard downpipe. The bulge is just a resonator. So yes you have a milltek decat downpipe in hand