Notices

tmic v fmic for vf34 ????

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2016, 12:26 AM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tmic v fmic for vf34 ????

hi , currently set up with a fmic on the vf34, but I have heard from a guy who is pretty clued up he suggests a sti top mount would be better? I have a feeling theres some truth in that. what improvement would this deliver if much?. the cars set up alcatek with 3 port .rcm fuel pump, and 440 s. and fuel lab pressure reg.
Old 04 November 2016, 08:12 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In most applications a newage sti top mount would be the best option for setups under 400 bhp. The larger front mount core and extended pipework will just induce turbo lag and wont net you any more power with your current turbo. Fitting a top mount should gain you some earlier spool, would be wise to get your boost and fueling checked if you do replace it
Old 04 November 2016, 09:32 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubzy
In most applications a newage sti top mount would be the best option for setups under 400 bhp. The larger front mount core and extended pipework will just induce turbo lag and wont net you any more power with your current turbo. Fitting a top mount should gain you some earlier spool, would be wise to get your boost and fueling checked if you do replace it
Afraid your wrong.

Have you ever done back to back testing on a dyno, same day, same turbo, same mapper, same fuel in the car?

The test that were done in that exact way prove at 300bhp a front mount will gain about 20bhp and lag isn't noticeable on a well setup car.

At 400 an sti top mount is going to struggle with temp issues.

On a vf34 chuck a front mount at it.
Old 04 November 2016, 03:39 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

thanks for above , indeed I think both points seem valid. the car was mapped by bob rawle 2 years back, and he seemed fairly pleased at the time. but as yet no RR report . certainly pulls ok though.
Old 04 November 2016, 04:45 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were my car I would stick with the front mount, ok I would never have put one on in the first place but the pluses must outweigh the negs and Bob would certainly have given you his twopenneth at the time.
Trev
Old 04 November 2016, 10:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the greater scheme of things the VF34 is on the smaller side of turbos, being a ball bearing turbo it's strenth lies in it's quick spool over something like a VF35.

Top figures available from a VF34 will be in the region of 350/360bhp with the quick spooling of the ball bearing being it's advantage over equivalent and much larger turbos.

Fitting a front mount basically nullifies this advantage as the STI top mount and air box is the best option up to and beyond this point, in fact the reality is that you really want to keep the airbox and top mount on an STI up to until around the 400 mark.

Otherwise you'll be driving everywhere above 4k rpm, which is fine if that's your thing.
Old 05 November 2016, 12:23 AM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

I usually drive around town at 2000 rpms generally. yes bob didn't make any comment on the fmic it was actually fitted by mark at thwaites warwick very well done job. we replaced the waste gate on the old td04 so we could improve the boost he managed 282 bhp ! very nippy, that was with the front mount.then put vf on 4 months later. it looks like swings and round abouts , and partly down to ambient air temps. think I will stick with current fmic.
Old 05 November 2016, 12:26 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Should add, I had a vf34 and front mount on my old classic
Old 06 November 2016, 09:32 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
Afraid your wrong.

Have you ever done back to back testing on a dyno, same day, same turbo, same mapper, same fuel in the car?

The test that were done in that exact way prove at 300bhp a front mount will gain about 20bhp and lag isn't noticeable on a well setup car.

At 400 an sti top mount is going to struggle with temp issues.

On a vf34 chuck a front mount at it.
How am i wrong exactly

I think you'll find everything in my post is correct
Old 07 November 2016, 08:45 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

How am i wrong exactly

I think you'll find everything in my post is correct
And what testing have you done?

As above, it has been tested back to back and proven your incorrect. Unless you have redone the testing?

Guessing isn't the same and actually trying the setups back to back, same day, same mapper even the same fuel in the tank.
Old 07 November 2016, 10:23 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

A newage Sti top mount in most applications would be the best option under 400 bhp. TRUE

Adding a larger front mount intercooler with extended pipework will induce some lag and response time. TRUE

A newage sti top mount will flow more than a vf34 can throw at it so wont automatically magic you more power.

And yes ive spent several days doing rolling road testing before and after fitting parts including finding the limits of a top mount so im well aware of how components will affect things

This is pretty basic stuff really and for that reason i wont be getting in a debate about it with you
Old 07 November 2016, 10:25 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

A newage Sti top mount in most applications would be the best option under 400 bhp. TRUE

Adding a larger front mount intercooler with extended pipework will induce some lag and response time. TRUE

A newage sti top mount will flow more than a vf34 can throw at it so wont automatically magic you more power.

And yes ive spent several days doing rolling road testing before and after fitting parts including finding the limits of a top mount so im well aware of how components will affect things

This is pretty basic stuff really and for that reason i wont be getting in a debate about it with you
Well you obviously know more than pat herborn and japanese performance magazine then.
Old 07 November 2016, 09:48 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

well judging by your 143 posts in the 1 week you've been on the site i would say you are our latest expert, scratch that ive just read some of them and thats clearly not the case

When was it you done this back to back testing with Pat ??

This place is getting more like the crack pot facebook groups by the day, i can see why the more knowledgeable members dont bother posting much any more.
Old 07 November 2016, 10:14 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 252 Posts

well judging by your 143 posts in the 1 week you've been on the site i would say you are our latest expert, scratch that ive just read some of them and thats clearly not the case

This place is getting more like the crack pot facebook groups by the day, i can see why the more knowledgeable members dont bother posting much any more.
Mmmm sortta suspicious myself would it be Tubbs
Old 07 November 2016, 10:20 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

No mate, Tubbys grammar and spelling are very good, and although he's a wind up merchant hes actually very knowledgeable lol
Old 07 November 2016, 10:28 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 283 Likes on 252 Posts

No mate, Tubbys grammar and spelling are very good, and although he's a wind up merchant hes actually very knowledgeable lol
Sort of thought that but haven't been following the op so don't really know what's been said. Yes agree Tubbs would be far from stupid unlike some
Old 08 November 2016, 12:05 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

I defer to those who know a darn sight more than me and ask them questions.

It was done for jap performance mag years ago. The laws of physics havnt change in that time have they?

When you have been around subaru long enough there's very little new that hasnt been done before.

Was also alot of testing on the subject done by the late Harvey Smith. Or are you claiming he doesn't know what he was doing either?

Talk about arrogance.
Old 08 November 2016, 12:38 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Im far from arrogant, the op asked a question to which i kindly gave him a valid answer. You decided to add to your post count and tell me im wrong which i politely pointed out was in fact correct.

What point is it your struggling with exactly ??
Old 08 November 2016, 08:55 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Im far from arrogant, the op asked a question to which i kindly gave him a valid answer. You decided to add to your post count and tell me im wrong which i politely pointed out was in fact correct.

What point is it your struggling with exactly ??
that your claimed 'fact' has been proven to be wrong, thats all
Old 14 November 2016, 10:12 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

Top mount intercooler do not get much air flow at high speed, so you loose power the faster you go!

Top mounts also soak up a lot of heat which rises from the engine, so when you're stopped at a set of lights or warming your engine up you're warming the intercooler too, they cool down when they get air flowing through and around them

So really, I'd always ask what the car is being used for before saying I'm right or wrong with a definitive answer

I.e. rally car running 2+bar & anti lag 100% front mount, well mid mount cos you don't want an intercooler anywhere too vulnerable.... it's not all straight cut one answer fits all stuff
Old 14 November 2016, 11:10 PM
stifmeister
Scooby Newbie

The GPA imprezas all had top mounts and it didn't seem to slow them down much lol
Old 22 November 2016, 12:44 AM
CharlesTuna
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a Grimmspeed TMIC on my 2.1 with an SC46 . . 442hp 390ftlb 1 bar at 3600 and 1.8bar at 4100. . .fwiw I'd stick with a tmic for the vf34
Old 22 November 2016, 08:17 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
Should add, I had a vf34 and front mount on my old classic
I should add that I had a VF34 on my V3 STI Type R with a top mount, mapped by Pat, it only made 331 bhp but it went like a bat out of hell.

As I said in my post above, VF34 is a ball bearing turbo and it's appeal lies in it's quick spool, ultimately it depends what you like from your car, I like that sense of urgency and a car that picks up from next to nothing, then just keeps going with no gaps in the forward motion, without it screaming it's **** off.

The sort of roads I like to drive on you may just about see a ton before you're back on the brakes, if your car picks up well enough, so high speed / top speed is of no interest to me, maybe on a long straight 120mph for a few seconds, beyond that buy a 1000cc sports bike or a BMW straight 6, because these cars aren't about high speed cruising.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 22 November 2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 22 November 2016, 01:37 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

+1 for Dubzy
-1 for Boggy
Old 22 November 2016, 01:48 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
+1 for Dubzy
-1 for Boggy
and whys that?

some of us have been around long enough to have heard it all before and remember when things were tested because it wasn't know.

Back in the day most things were tested back to back, like TMIC vs FMIC, just because people weren't around then so don't know about it isn't my problem. Why do you think none of the tuners bother on here anymore? They can't be bothered to argue with people guessing rather than actually hard fact.

Two different cars isn't a way to compare parts, they perform differently and respond differently. I remember a thread where the late great Harvey smith and Pat Herborn were talking about that very thing, turbo's getting different results even on same spec cars as it happened to be.

Your car, you make the choice. I'm out
Old 22 November 2016, 02:34 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Funny as your username that you're hiding behind says you've only been around for 1 month! Very long time that!

Why not tell us good folks who you actually are? Or at least who you were in a previous life? PSLewis maybe? lol

I don't wish to be someone else drawn into an argument with you, which seems to be happening all too often on here now.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 22 November 2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 22 November 2016, 02:47 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Funny as your username that you're hiding behind says you've only been around for 1 month! Very long time that!

Why not tell us good folks who you actually are? Or at least who you were in a previous life? PSLewis maybe? lol

I don't wish to be someone else drawn into an argument with you, which seems to be happening all too often on here now.
I havn't been on for about 5 maybe 6 years so can't remember what my old username was, i stopped coming on when most of the tuners had left, latteral, rcm, et scoobyclinic, api, etc etc

Only with certain people, basically those who havn't been around scoobs anywhere near as long. While times and tuning does change, the same old questions get asked that were 10 years ago. Difference is no one is doing proper testing to find out the answer, its all mines better than yours.

Only way you can truly test parts is back to back on a dyno, same car, same mapper, same fuel.

But i suppose that's wrong as well eh.

Anyway, I'm out
Old 22 November 2016, 07:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Sounds good, but thing is no two cars are the same, regardless of spec, you'll only ever get an approximation.

Everyone want's and likes different characteristics in their driving experience.

General rule of thumb is going over 400bhp = front mount below that will presume a 350 bhp capable turbo because not many people aim for 370bhp.

Turbo's tend to go up in 50bhp increments so as above if your looking for 350 ish then you're probably better off sticking with the top mount, small gains in numbers can be seen from around the 320bhp mark but these are generally offset by lag.

How noticable that is is going to depend on what you are used to.

Ultimately your decision should be based on what your car will be used for.
Old 22 November 2016, 07:57 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

I totally agree, My first reply to the op was a generic answer without knowing the spec or use of his car.

People can happily have their opinion without felling the need to tell others they are wrong
The following users liked this post:
Old 23 November 2016, 05:25 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree, My first reply to the op was a generic answer without knowing the spec or use of his car.

People can happily have their opinion without felling the need to tell others they are wrong

good figures I hear ?? but don't you dare post you graph on here as on the bog will only get negative and pull it apart .

Maz